ECU Flashing | GTAMotorcycle.com

ECU Flashing

spray____

Site Supporter
I've got a 2006 R6. I know there are some guys around that do ECU flashing. I saw an ad and ever since I've been thinking about it and reading everything I can find on it.

I'm not really concerned with making more HP. I'm 100% street riding right now, and the bike has more than I use 99% of the time. Some of the other stuff seems like it would be nice though:

• More low end power
  • Less engine braking
  • Preventing bouncy idle
  • Calibrating speedometer

Has anyone done this? What are the drawbacks of doing something like this?

I am considering doing mine... although I sort of want to buy a second ECU. The reason I am doing it is because the throttle doesn't open past 60% on 08+ bikes, until you hit 10K RPM. That is about it, really... I haven't got my bike dyno'd yet, but I have a PCV and Autotune.

That, and you can turn the Speedometer into a gear position indicator for track days, as well... If "anybody" has an ECU for sale for my '11... let me know

...and reading everything I can find on it.
Did you read the entire 227 page thread on r6 forum?? lol. The flash isn't just about making peak power, everything you listed is correct as well as much smoother on/off throttle (because of a combination of reduced engine braking, disabling the injector shut off on deceleration as well as preventing the bike from switching back and fourth between the O2 sensor fuel saving map and the performance map every time you go under/over 30% throttle).

If "anybody" has an ECU for sale for my '11... let me know
You can use any ECU from 2008 to 2014 in your bike. If your bike is Canadian (i.e. it's got a red blinky light in the tach) it'll need to be flashed before it'll work.

You can also buy a used one off R6 forum, even USA ECU's can be converted to Canadian spec with just the ECU flash. After the flash you can make your track bike keyless if you want to too (as well as speedo as gear indicator, ECU based quick shifter, etc.).

Sometimes you can find super cheap Canadian ECU's on Kijiji or Ebay because Canadian ones will never work for anyone (immobilizer code is stored in ECU and is matched to ignition/keys and is read only, so ECU would have to be sold as complete set with ignition and keys for it to ever function) but would work fine in your bike with your keys after you get it flashed.

What track days are you going to be doing this season? Any of the following (so far)?

CTMP (Mosport) Rider's Development Track Day with Riders Choice
Wednesday, May 14 at 7:00am

Shannonville Long Track Day
Sunday, May 25 at 7:00am

TMP/Cayuga Reddawn Entertainment Track Day
Thursday, May 29 at 7:00am

If you'll be at any one of those track days there could be a very unique opportunity for you.

Hadn't found that yet, but it looks like it's got info on everything there is to know.

I think I'm going to leave it for now. For an 06 R6 on the street, it doesn't look like it would benefit me enough to be worth the cost, trouble, and risk.

If there comes a day when I change my mind, I'll know where to go!

The reason I am doing it is because the throttle doesn't open past 60% on 08+ bikes, until you hit 10K RPM.

I thought they were setup this way for streetability? Is it the are the first gen R6 setup this way, being carb'd and having a relatively flat power curve in comparison to newer R6?

I thought so too. Emissions apparently. It almost works more like a learners key in a seadoo or something, than a real physical limitation of course

I thought they were setup this way for streetability? Is it the are the first gen R6 setup this way, being carb'd and having a relatively flat power curve in comparison to newer R6?
Yamaha started this nonsense in 2006. The 2005 and under R6 (as well as up to 2009 R6S) had lots of unrestricted power down low, nice smooth power delivery. For SURE they didn't do this to 06+ R6's for streetability, especially when the throttle snaps from 60% to 100% wide ****ing open at 11k RPM! lol. Once you remove the throttle restrictions you get a nice strong smooth pull from down low all the way to the top, not the insane surges in power at 9k and 11k.

As SweetOnion said, due to emissions (and also noise restrictions, and can you believe it, INTAKE NOISE RESTRICTIONS on the R6! LOL!!) Yamaha really has to restrict the throttle blades down low and rely on the O2 sensor way too much to make it a smooth ride for the rider :(

People think the flash will make the bike too aggressive, twitchy, etc. when in fact it's the opposite. It makes the throttle so controllable and buttery smooth compared to stock it's insane.

Last edited:
Yamaha started this nonsense in 2006. The 2005 and under R6 (as well as up to 2009 R6S) had lots of unrestricted power down low, nice smooth power delivery. For SURE they didn't do this to 06+ R6's for streetability, especially when the throttle snaps from 60% to 100% wide ****ing open at 11k RPM! lol. Once you remove the throttle restrictions you get a nice strong smooth pull from down low all the way to the top, not the insane surges in power at 9k and 11k.

As SweetOnion said, due to emissions (and also noise restrictions, and can you believe it, INTAKE NOISE RESTRICTIONS on the R6! LOL!!) Yamaha really has to restrict the throttle blades down low and rely on the O2 sensor way too much to make it a smooth ride for the rider :(

People think the flash will make the bike too aggressive, twitchy, etc. when in fact it's the opposite. It makes the throttle so controllable and buttery smooth compared to stock it's insane.

Nice, thanks. I am looking for an 01/02 R6 as I like the way they look compared to 03+ and R6S but not a fan of carbs

Back
Top Bottom