Ebike require motorcycle licensing? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ebike require motorcycle licensing?

and this is the reason why
ebikes are limited to 32 km/h
but I can see some changes coming to HTA before too long

L7gvkg2.jpg

An ebike has a very specific description in Ontario. If you meet every part of the definition, no license or insurance are required. If you do not meet even a single part, you are riding an unlicensed, uninsured motorcycle.

They will if they keep getting involved in deadly collisions in the city. It's a matter of time. Someone is going to get killed by these maniacs and they will need licensing and insurance.

There is really no legit reason (other than out and out laziness) for the fake scooter/motorcycle versions to be license free. For about the same price you can buy an e-bike bicycle with the same range and you can actually pedal the damn thing...

Ban the welfare hogs I say!

I rode a mountain bike in the winter when I was in college. I would have been thrilled if I had an insurance free ebike back then.
Ebikes are the signature ride of 'welfare bums' but I'm sure they are a blessing to lots of working poor folk struggling to make ends meet.
I'd be all for licencing these things if reasonable insurance rates would be available, but I don't believe insurance companies will be inclined to make it affordable

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

I rode a mountain bike in the winter when I was in college. I would have been thrilled if I had an insurance free ebike back then.
Ebikes are the signature ride of 'welfare bums' but I'm sure they are a blessing to lots of working poor folk struggling to make ends meet.
I'd be all for licencing these things if reasonable insurance rates would be available, but I don't believe insurance companies will be inclined to make it affordable

Well especially if you have a whole crowd of DUI veterans coming to them. It's gonna paint a picture for that pool of users.

Why are a lot of you motorcytclists angry at ebike riders? Let them be. The more of them are in the streets, the more vigilant cagers are going to be.

Why are a lot of you motorcytclists angry at ebike riders? Let them be. The more of them are in the streets, the more vigilant cagers are going to be.

Because they are a menace on the road, riding like a motorcyclist and riding like a bicyclist and switching back and forth as they go, going slow blocking lanes, then riding on the sidewalks.... I also think you got the words vigilant and vigilante mixed up, as they keep making these things look more and more like legit motorcycles we get lumped in with them and cagers are more likely to become vigilantes against the motorized two wheel crowd.

In the end the law was really for motor assist bikes, they have to have pedals. Most of the fake scooter motorcycle ones have pedals but they are all but useless. True e-bicycles are about the same price and can be pedalled like a bicycle. No need for these things to exist.

I saw an ebike today that looked like a sport touring, it even had hard saddle bags although I’m not sure if they were functional

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

I saw an ebike today that looked like a sport touring, it even had hard saddle bags although I’m not sure if they were functional

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com
And as you're ready to do the moto wave to them, you realize they make no sound. Then you see in your rear view mirror the "ebike" plate

Reasonable and insurance don't belong in the same sentence here. With medical insurance being the most expensive part of the insurance premium don't expect the rates to be cheap.

A simple start to the process would be the requirement for an operators card not unlike the one for boating. Basically a test where the operator recognizes the laws governing their vehicle.

Keep off sidewalks
Can't ride if you have a suspension for DUI etc
Can't go where it says "No motorized vehicles"
No two up
Performance mods = major fines
and a few more I can't think of at the moment

Ban the DUI bikes.

If you were charged with DUI they won't let you ride a moped, I worked with a girl who tried that, they caught up to her within weeks, there was even snow on the ground and she was riding it to work. They basically try to ruin your life as much as possible once you get a DUI charge, they really don't need us pressing for more laws then already exist.
... by the way she lost her job too.

If you were charged with DUI they won't let you ride a moped, I worked with a girl who tried that, they caught up to her within weeks, there was even snow on the ground and she was riding it to work. They basically try to ruin your life as much as possible once you get a DUI charge, they really don't need us pressing for more laws then already exist.
... by the way she lost her job too.
The laws have to be enforced AS WRITTEN. That isn't happening with the DUIs on the e-bikes. I saw a clown yesterday riding along St. Clair, no helmet with a two-four on the platform between his feet.

If I had a short enough commute I’d sure as hell buy one. Why bother getting sweaty before work?
So long as I’d feel comfortable parking it and could make the distance both ways (last job was 80km return) I’d get one. But too far and highway all the way. And frankly the 401 doesn’t do much faster than 50-60 during rush hour anyway.

Back
Top Bottom