Ear plug recommendations? | Page 7 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ear plug recommendations?

Really? I may just experiment with some foam along the inside of the helmet (again along the side jawline) as it appears to me that's where most/all of the noise is coming from. Doubt very little comes from outside the helmet - it's that rush of air under that jaw opening that's the source.
AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

I bought the big windjammer for my cold-weather Torc helmet. I use my Schuberth C4 in regular weather and it has a wind/noise sealing design built in. The windjammer works well for noise and cold wind isolation, though it makes it a pain to put the helmet on and off. They make a great product.

Anyone with foam cut outs where the speakers are supposed to go really needs to deal with that first. It's a resonate cavity and transmits noise. I stuff it with spare Howard Leigh plugs ( I push 5 into one bag ) and it keeps the earphones in place and reduces noise.
The space provided for the speakers may well be covered by the inner lining but it still resonates and needs to be damped.

Really? I may just experiment with some foam along the inside of the helmet (again along the side jawline) as it appears to me that's where most/all of the noise is coming from. Doubt very little comes from outside the helmet - it's that rush of air under that jaw opening that's the source.

Chin curtain?? Never used one just curious

Oops, late to the party

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

Ordered the Windjammer - $35 CAD ain't bad even if it is just a piece of cloth. Thanks @Jenerator.

Already have the optional chin skirt on my HJC modular.

Anyone with foam cut outs where the speakers are supposed to go really needs to deal with that first. It's a resonate cavity and transmits noise. I stuff it with spare Howard Leigh plugs ( I push 5 into one bag ) and it keeps the earphones in place and reduces noise.
The space provided for the speakers may well be covered by the inner lining but it still resonates and needs to be damped.

I've already put a round piece of foam there and it did help but there's only so much you can put there before it bulges into your ears and gets uncomfortable ... good idea though for others who haven't.

I've already put a round piece of foam there and it did help but there's only so much you can put there before it bulges into your ears and gets uncomfortable ... good idea though for others who haven't.
Depending on the space you need to fill, a Mr Clean magic eraser cut up is a fantastic and easy to find absorptive material.

That's a good idea as it is dense but the best material is the high density earplugs designed to attentuate - Howard Leigh orange work the charm....regular foam is almost acoustically transparent and a bit of a bulge keeps IEMs in place to make a good seal.

For anybody does not know how noise reduction works, please read the following page.

How does NRR change decibels of exposure?
When hearing protection is worn, your level of exposure to noise is based on the NRR rating of the protection device being used. Keep in mind, however, that while the NRR is measured in decibels, the hearing protector being used does not reduce the surrounding decibel level by the exact number of decibels associated with that protector’s NRR. For example, if you are at a rock concert where the level of noise exposure is 100 dB and you are wearing earplugs with an NRR 33dB, your level of exposure would not be reduced to 67 dB. Instead, to determine the actual amount of decibel deduction applied (when decibels are measured dBA which is the most common), you take the NRR number (in dB), subtract seven, and then divide by two. Given the previous example, your noise reduction equation would look like the following: (33-7)/2 = 13. This means that if you are at a rock concert with a level of noise exposure at 100 dB and you are wearing a hearing protector with an NRR 33 dB, your new level of noise exposure is 87 dB. If you are wearing a product with an NRR of 27 it would deduct 10 decibels (27-7/2=10).

*To maximize noise reduction, hearing protectors must be worn properly.

Reactions: LBV
For anybody does not know how noise reduction works, please read the following page.

How does NRR change decibels of exposure?
When hearing protection is worn, your level of exposure to noise is based on the NRR rating of the protection device being used. Keep in mind, however, that while the NRR is measured in decibels, the hearing protector being used does not reduce the surrounding decibel level by the exact number of decibels associated with that protector’s NRR. For example, if you are at a rock concert where the level of noise exposure is 100 dB and you are wearing earplugs with an NRR 33dB, your level of exposure would not be reduced to 67 dB. Instead, to determine the actual amount of decibel deduction applied (when decibels are measured dBA which is the most common), you take the NRR number (in dB), subtract seven, and then divide by two. Given the previous example, your noise reduction equation would look like the following: (33-7)/2 = 13. This means that if you are at a rock concert with a level of noise exposure at 100 dB and you are wearing a hearing protector with an NRR 33 dB, your new level of noise exposure is 87 dB. If you are wearing a product with an NRR of 27 it would deduct 10 decibels (27-7/2=10).

*To maximize noise reduction, hearing protectors must be worn properly.
Woah, that's cool. I had never looked into the details of NRR. Personally, I think that reality lies somewhere between 73 and 87 in the above example.

"it does not take into account the loss of protection that occurs when hearing protectors are not fit properly or when they are not worn for the entire time that the wearer is exposed to noise" GG - I have practised putting in thousands of pairs of hearing protection and can easily tell when they aren't in properly (although we've all seen people with 50% of the plug outside their ear) and I have them in for 100% of the exposure to loud noise.

EDIT:
Part of OSHA doesn't use the /2 but then they add it in to account for the average moron that may be told to wear hearing protection while giving no f****s. It is pretty easy to hear if the plug is working as designed or whether you have screwed it up and attenuation is more than 10 dB off.

OSHA's experience and the published scientific literature have shown that laboratory-obtained real ear attenuation for HPDs can seldom be achieved in the workplace. To adjust for workplace conditions,OSHA strongly recommends applying a 50% correction factor when estimating field attenuation.

Interesting on that NRR explanation but why does the NRR "body" not just do the math for us and give us the 13 instead of an overinflated 33?

What's the exact point of the 33 anyway? What relevance is that to anyone? Might as well have all the auto makers say that their fuel economy is more than double what it actually is and have you figure out the math to get an ACTUAL figure. :unsure:

Granted I haven't read that article to see if they explain that but it smacks of false advertising big time.

EDIT - looks like the OHSA agrees.

That windjammer seems interesting. So if it glues on to the helmet, that means you can only install it once, right? You can't move it between different helmets? Also I wonder if rain would make it come loose.

edit: no it looks like it's a sticky silicone that can be stuck and unstuck many times

Last edited:
Reactions: LBV
What kind of bag? And what prevents the bag of plugs from shaking around as you're riding, and falling out when you take your helmet off?

There's a noticeable difference in wind on that video but after purchasing I realized I wouldn't be able to open my modular helmet ... and I've got a Cardo unit on the left side and a Sena Prism Tube camera on the right side so hope I can make it work with those 2.

Maybe you could cuts it to match where your helmet opens? But that would probably compromise the wind blocking effect at least somewhat.

What kind of bag? And what prevents the bag of plugs from shaking around as you're riding, and falling out when you take your helmet off?
The Howard Leight Max-1 uncorded NR33foam ear plugs come two to a bag and you just cut a small opening and slip 3 more or 4 more in - they don't move around, the plugs are highly compressible and fit under the liner that covers the cut out. it easily compresses when you put the helmet on and provides a good seal for the iems or even if you wear the same ear plugs
Howard Leight LL-1-D Laser Lite Earplugs - 500 Pairs/Box
Screen Shot 2020-09-23 at Sep, 23    2020    3.07.30 PM.jpg

My windjammer arrived today, I attached it to my helmet and went out for a quick highway run without any ear plugs. It does reduce wind noise to a significant degree. I wouldn't say it eliminates the need for ear plugs completely though, as the noise at 100+ was still louder than what I'd want to tolerate on a longer ride. I haven't yet tried wearing my earplugs together with the windjammer, I suspect it would be really quiet.

Got mine Thursday but haven't tried it yet and with my modular helmet I'm thinking it might be best to just buy another closed lid (which I was contemplating anyways) and throw it on there to use when I expect highway duty.

@danp - I assume you wouldn't want to be removing the Windjammer many times as the silicone stickiness would dissipate?

@danp - I assume you wouldn't want to be removing the Windjammer many times as the silicone stickiness would dissipate?
[/QUOTE]
I wouldnt be too concerned. My wife has bathing suits with silicone to help keep them in place and it works for years.

As an update to the Windjammer I purchased.

My only helmet is an HJC modular that I open frequently when stopped for gas, etc. so didn't want to put the Windjammer on that as I'd be unable to open the helmet up.

I was already contemplating a 2nd non-modular full face helmet and got online to see what deals were out there. I found an HJC i70 from Fortnine for a bit of a discount so ordered it.

Received next day and proceed to put the WJ on when I notice that the integrated sun visor switch is on the bottom left side, so the WJ would cover that up rendering the sun visor unusable. My other HJC has the switch on the top of the helmet.

Soooo, bottom line I can't use the WJ on the 2 helmets I have and I'm not going to return the new helmet for another one as I like the hi-vis pattern on it.

Anyone want a brand new WJ for $25 firm? Cost $35 after shipping from the UK.

Back
Top Bottom