Ear plug recommendations? | Page 6 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ear plug recommendations?

That's actually a good idea about a skullcap! I'm going to order one now and test it out later.
Make sure the one you order does not have thick stitching or seams across the forehead because that becomes a nuisance after a while too.

To be honest, the $10, cad tire set of eat plugs work great as well.. Those expandable foam ones

Decided to try the Loop ear plugs I've seen promoted on Facebook. $20 USD from that there, shipping included. Came from Las Vegas so it took 18 days to arrive. Haven't ridden yet but tested at home with the TV on and my loud dishwasher in the background. Seems on par with the Earpeace set I have but the pro is the ease of putting them in your ears. No need to pull up on your ear lobe with the opposite hand. Just insert with 1 hand and twist into place. So far, so good. loopearplugs.com ... <-- pricier there. I may have gotten lucky on a promo deal.

IMG_20200917_182345~2.jpg

Haven't ridden yet but tested at home with the TV on and my loud dishwasher in the background.
I've tried many a pair of ear plugs which seemed good when I first put them on in the house but were terrible while riding. Some were good at blocking out noise around the house but didn't block out much wind noise. Others would vibrate loose, or the helmet pushing against them would cause them to lose their seal. Others would be comfortable at first but extremely uncomfortable after a few hours.

The best plugs I've found so far for riding are these Mighty Plugs: World's Finest Ear Plug, NRR 34 Sound Reduction, Best for Sound Blocking, 100% Waterproof for Swimming, Best for Attending Concerts, (12 Pairs): Amazon.ca: Health & Personal Care

I've worn them all day with no pain at all. I've tried many different brands of foam plugs and they all feel fine at first but start to become painful after a few hours.

Reactions: LBV
I've tried many a pair of ear plugs which seemed good when I first put them on in the house but were terrible while riding. Some were good at blocking out noise around the house but didn't block out much wind noise. Others would vibrate loose, or the helmet pushing against them would cause them to lose their seal. Others would be comfortable at first but extremely uncomfortable after a few hours.

The best plugs I've found so far for riding are these Mighty Plugs: World's Finest Ear Plug, NRR 34 Sound Reduction, Best for Sound Blocking, 100% Waterproof for Swimming, Best for Attending Concerts, (12 Pairs): Amazon.ca: Health & Personal Care

I've worn them all day with no pain at all. I've tried many different brands of foam plugs and they all feel fine at first but start to become painful after a few hours.
Thanks. I've never seen (or obviously tried) plugs like that. At $4 a pair they are probably the most expensive disposable plugs I have seen.

Yeah, time will tell on the earloops but those look like the stuff my sister-in-law puts into her kids ears when they go swimming. If they block out water, they must be pretty good.

No earplugs are blocking enough wind noise on the highway except for the foam plugs. Tried Alpine, Ear Peace, and all silicone types.

Back to foam plugs.

I got a set of the Pinlock earplugs. It feels like they don't do much of anything but Pinlock claims they bring wind noise down to a safe level while still allowing the rider to have a normal conversation. That last part is definitely true.

I got a set of the Pinlock earplugs. It feels like they don't do much of anything but Pinlock claims they bring wind noise down to a safe level while still allowing the rider to have a normal conversation. That last part is definitely true.

That website a ton of marketing (*&^(*&(*&.

" The advanced precision filter blocks wind noise harmful to the ear without causing muffled hearing, " GG-bs on so many levels.
img_earplugs-specs02.jpg

GG - so from 3K15 to 5K it lets through 2dB more than conventional plugs? Most people won't be able to notice that without a back to back test.

The really interesting part is how are they doing ~7 dB better at all other frequencies. That matters a lot. Oh wait, the PL are rated at 24 dB and good foamies are rated at 33. wtf is their reference sample that tests at ~15? They exist, but they are special use and insufficient for a bike

PL may work, but their marketing is sketchy enough that I would stay away as obviously they care more about marketing than hearing protection.

Rode with the Loop earplugs and the Earpiece (with max insert in) and they seem to be on par.

I put the sport screen back on to get the colder air off the body so there's more wind noise period now at my head.

I did some testing with my left hand & it seems to me that much of the noise is decreased when your hand covers the bottom of the helmet (like where your chaw line would be so left of the chin). I wonder why no one's invented some winglets or some foam inserts that can cover that space between the helmet and the jaw ... dibs on royalties if this idea ends up on GoFundMe. :D

Will likely try those wax inserts posted above but I'm afraid that'll cut almost all sound incl horns and sirens etc.

Will likely try those wax inserts posted above but I'm afraid that'll cut almost all sound incl horns and sirens etc.
That's not how sound works. Earplugs basically reduce the baseline level but relative levels remain intact. For instance, instead of wind at 100 dBA and sirens at 95 dBA, with plugs you now have wind at 70 dBA and sirens at 65 dBA. Your brain is happy to decode either situation quickly and easily.

I hear what you're saying GG but the issue I'm concerned about is does it lower the new levels too low? eg. 10 and 5

I hear what you're saying GG but the issue I'm concerned about is does it lower the new levels too low? eg. 10 and 5
No. Best case you get somewhere around 30 dB reduction. Starting point is somewhere around 100. That means best (or worst depending on your view) case you end up around 70. There is almost no possible way that anything that started around 30 dB and is now zero has an effect on you. Anything below ~70 dB (at your ears without plugs) you wont hear with or without plugs due to the louder noises masking quieter noises.

Last edited:
Rode with the Loop earplugs and the Earpiece (with max insert in) and they seem to be on par.

I put the sport screen back on to get the colder air off the body so there's more wind noise period now at my head.

I did some testing with my left hand & it seems to me that much of the noise is decreased when your hand covers the bottom of the helmet (like where your chaw line would be so left of the chin). I wonder why no one's invented some winglets or some foam inserts that can cover that space between the helmet and the jaw ... dibs on royalties if this idea ends up on GoFundMe. :D
There is... But for the life of me I can't remember the name of it.:unsure:

Ordered the earpeace plugs a few weeks ago and love them. I always used foam plugs before and had no issues but the ease of inserting the earpeace and comfort is much better. Sound deadening is on par and better for hearing my comm system

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

There is... But for the life of me I can't remember the name of it.:unsure:
Really? I may just experiment with some foam along the inside of the helmet (again along the side jawline) as it appears to me that's where most/all of the noise is coming from. Doubt very little comes from outside the helmet - it's that rush of air under that jaw opening that's the source.

Ordered the earpeace plugs a few weeks ago and love them. I always used foam plugs before and had no issues but the ease of inserting the earpeace and comfort is much better. Sound deadening is on par and better for hearing my comm system

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

I might be in the minority. Got a set of earpeaces, love the ease of insertion and fit. Definitely more comfortable than foamies.
However, I feel like they are a tad noisier than the Howard Leight LL-1 Laser Lites I was using before. Works fine for my commute to work and home but for longer highway touring, I would go back to foamies.
Will test back-2-back this week to verify.

Back
Top Bottom