Ear plug recommendations? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ear plug recommendations?

KLR Junkie

Hey all, trust the riding season is treating you well.

I've been using the standard yellow 3M EarSoft foam ear plugs for years. They work amazingly well, but I always get sore ears after about 5-6 hours. Yes, I do stop every hour or so for a couple of minutes just to stretch and hydrate and I do take them out each time but they still start to hurt my ears after a while. Oh, and I also use the smaller size, so no need to point out that there are multiple sizes.

It seems like every year I try something new just hoping to find something that works. Flanged plugs (too loud, pop out of place when talking), soft silicone (messy, sweaty ears cause them to get loose), IEMs (too loud, pop out when putting on helmet), it seems like I've tried them all.

This year it was custom molded plugs from Decibullz. They work OK off the bike (nowhere near the claimed 31dB of noise reduction but not too bad for sudden loud noises) but getting the helmet on without knocking them loose is almost impossible. I've molded them as low-profile as possible but if I even bump my ears with the helmet while putting it on the plugs get loosened and it's not possible to get them back in with the helmet on.

Am I stuck with sore ears, or is there some option that I've missed? Maybe I should just get a modular helmet so that I can spread it out and pull it on without touching my ears?

Cheers

No matter what type of IEM's or earplugs I wear, they always come loose when putting on my helmet. So now I wear a thin skullcap that I use for running in cooler temps and the earplug dislodging problem is completely fixed. If you go that route, make sure that there are no seams near your forehead or that will start hurting after a while too. I think there are quite a few models of these skulls caps, some without the seams that cause pressure.

I also get sore ears after about 1/2 day of riding - I just think that may be something I have to live with, because I've also tried the different sized tips.

This is what I use:

Just make sure your ear canals are not wet prior to putting them on (for instance if you just showered before heading out for a ride / or used wet hands to put them on).
As long as its completely dry, they stay snug even when adjusting my helmet once strapped on (since I wear spectacles).

When riding on the highway, wind noise isnt as bad..while cruising I only hear vehicles around me and my engine/exhaust.
And yes - fire-engine/police sirens still penetrate it.
I've gone from Toronto to Ottawa and back (on the same day) using these and have had no issues.

This is what I use:

Just make sure your ear canals are not wet prior to putting them on (for instance if you just showered before heading out for a ride / or used wet hands to put them on).
As long as its completely dry, they stay snug even when adjusting my helmet once strapped on (since I wear spectacles).

When riding on the highway, wind noise isnt as bad..while cruising I only hear vehicles around me and my engine/exhaust.
I've gone from Toronto to Ottawa and back (on the same day) using these and have had no issues.
I have the same ones and they work well. Did you try changing the filters in them? I haven't tried yet but apparently you can tune how many db you can lower ambient sound by.

I've got some shorter beige ones from Walmart in a large square plastic jar, that seem pretty good.
6000198469423.jpg

Equate Soft Fit Ear Plugs | Walmart Canada

I had some custom made by the hearing department at Costco. Reasonably priced, worked well for me and comfy.

best pair I've found are the Domio plugs
extremely comfortable and come with a nice SS case

I bought with them with the audio device
supposed to block wind noise and allow the music through
nahh, that don't work, but they are very nice plugs
all day comfort, but pricey

I have the same ones and they work well. Did you try changing the filters in them? I haven't tried yet but apparently you can tune how many db you can lower ambient sound by.

I'm on my fourth set in 3 years as I keep misplacing them.
I've since started putting them in the little container...its been ok since.

W.r.t the filters - I have quite a few of them in my drawer but still stick with the original onces they came with.
Maybe I should give it a try sometime..

This is what I use:

Tried these (I think it was this brand) about 3-4 years back. Didn't cut out enough noise for my liking.

I think I'll order a few small packs of different foamies. Maybe I can find one that is a bit softer than the 3Ms.

Thanks all for the comments.

No matter what type of IEM's or earplugs I wear, they always come loose when putting on my helmet. So now I wear a thin skullcap that I use for running in cooler temps and the earplug dislodging problem is completely fixed. If you go that route, make sure that there are no seams near your forehead or that will start hurting after a while too. I think there are quite a few models of these skulls caps, some without the seams that cause pressure.

I also get sore ears after about 1/2 day of riding - I just think that may be something I have to live with, because I've also tried the different sized tips.

I just tried this with a thin balaclava I use in the colder months. Seemed to work OK. Had the helmet on and off half a dozen times and only knocked the molded plugs loose a couple of times. Maybe with some practice and a cap suitable for warm weather....

Convertible helmet makes life much easier. The Howard Leigh earplugs are the best in terms of noise supression -33db and is you get them wet in your mouth before insertion they will seat nicely. You can tell as the outside noise fades away as they expand. No issue with interfering with helmets.

Earphones are tricky without a convertible helmet you sort of have to angle one ear in then the other but there are some low profile. Shure 215s are popular with riders as they sit flat once you rotate them into position.
Excellent durability and replacement cables are available.

The tips you use make a major difference. Comply are very good but wear out too fast and are expensive.
Westone are also very good and less expensive. Tricky to get the correct tip for your earphones tho.
Good coverage here.

Pioneer Rayz are okay as well for low profile but don't get them wet. The noise cancelling actual works to some degree on a bike but not so cheap.

Oh yeah - thin balaclava - Oxford makes one keeps the earphones in place and much easier to put the helmet on.

I use the Zan headgear perforated flydana. I have a few of them and wash them after every long ride. Very low profile headband, flat seams so no pain, perforated for airflow from the helmet. They are about the best that I’ve used and I’ve tried everything from underarmour football helmet skullcaps, buffs, thin balaclavas.

These things but you can find them cheaper ZANheadgear Flydanna 100 Percentage Polyester Vented Sport Bandanna (Mesh Black): Amazon.ca: Automotive

Mac Pillow Soft Silicone ear plugs are amazing.
They are white in colour, silicone based. Push over the ear canal and results are amazing.

Only downfall is that if you have speakers built into the helmet there's a chance of the plugs gumming up the speaker grill.

Used them for years on the track. Fantastic.

I like soft foam and they dont cause me issues. I prefer the ones with flames on them but havent seen them for a while. Currently I have ones with a little plastic handle which isnt ideal for a helmet and others with a string. If you are ever near barrie send me a message and I will give you a few of each to try. It sucks to buy a box of 100 and find out they dont work for you.

These work well for me...they came from Home Depot or Canadian Tire. I keep some spares on me when riding.

15d1cc1da2339e00a8ba9ad9b60d648d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No matter what type of IEM's or earplugs I wear, they always come loose when putting on my helmet.

You're not putting the earplugs in far enough if they're coming out when you're putting your helmet on. When inserted correctly in your ear they shouldn't be protruding from your ear at all and there's no physical way your helmet would be able to remove them.

earplug-fit1.bmp

You have to roll them and insert them deep into your ear canal. Far enough that you actually have to reach in and pinch them to remove.

I've helped a few people learn to insert earplugs properly and almost always they exclaim "holy **** this is a whole different ball game" when you get them in right the first time after they've been wearing them improperly before.

Anyhow, I use these orange style ones with the flange.

shopping

That little flange at the end makes a pretty significant difference especially if you have a weird shaped eardrum or problems getting them deep enough because of a shallow ear canal or something.

Back
Top Bottom