Ear plug recommendations? | Page 8 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ear plug recommendations?

I'm a lifelong professional musician, so my ears are well tuned.
I prefer the old style cylindrical yellow ones with the square ends. I find they have a flatter frequency response than the curvy ones with the bulbous ends that superseded them. They also have have a more porous and grippy, less slippery surface, and thusly less tendency to slide out.
They are EAR brand. I can't find the better old style these days. Only the slippery new ones.
That's progress for you: everything gets worse.

I like the ones from our job site....yellow/red 'LaserLite' plugs. Super comfortable and have ridden many miles with them.

A number of riders including me use the wired Shure 215s so I know it fits and sounds decent

Just ordered a pair of the BT version - The bonus is it's the same ear piece so all the existing cables and tips we have are adaptable / interchangeable. For $149 I get the earphones I want with BT and end up with a backup ( the Earpieces do fail )
New phones with no earphone socket prompted this.

Last edited:
A number of riders including me use the wired Shure 2015 so we know it fits and sounds good

Just ordered a pair of the BT version - The bonus is it's the same ear piece so all the existing cables and tips we have are adaptable / interchangeable. For $149 I get the earphones I want with BT and end up with a backup ( the Earpieces do fail )

Let us know they fit under a lid. I’m currently rocking Samsung buds + because they are fairly low profile and don’t budge once in.
They also have phenomenal battery life.

Let us know they fit under a lid. I’m currently rocking Samsung buds + because they are fairly low profile and don’t budge once in.
They also have phenomenal battery life.
I've got 535's that are almost dead that are completely comfortable and picking up a pair of 425's tomorrow. The 535's fit inside your ear so they don't touch the helmet. I personally don't like IEM's on a bike as they completely isolate you from the sounds of the world around you (if you are playing music in them).

A number of riders including me use the wired Shure 2015 so we know it fits and sounds good

Rode with Shures for years. Love them, then I went a little crazy and splurged out for the Bose noise cancelling earbuds.

I've got 535's that are almost dead that are completely comfortable and picking up a pair of 425's tomorrow. The 535's fit inside your ear so they don't touch the helmet. I personally don't like IEM's on a bike as they completely isolate you from the sounds of the world around you (if you are playing music in them).
The Samsung’s do have an ambient noise feature. Not sure it works on any device but android tho

The Samsung’s do have an ambient noise feature. Not sure it works on any device but android tho
Yeah, there's ways around it using an external mic but I don't have any that do that. I am happy with foamies on a bike, I like to have my senses as functional as possible. If I was a music all the time person, IEM's with an active mic are probably a great compromise.

Rode with Shures for years. Love them, then I went a little crazy and splurged out for the Bose noise cancelling earbuds.

Which Bose earbud model do you have? I've got the QC20 and they pop loudly with any air pressure spikes. Even wearing them in the car with the windows up they'll pop if a pickup truck goes by in the other direction, so they are constantly popping on the bike with every little buffet of wind.

I use them primarily in the office (back when we actually went in to the office to do work) and they're great there.

Which Bose earbud model do you have? I've got the QC20 and they pop loudly with any air pressure spikes. Even wearing them in the car with the windows up they'll pop if a pickup truck goes by in the other direction, so they are constantly popping on the bike with every little buffet of wind.

I use them primarily in the office (back when we actually went in to the office to do work) and they're great there.
Yes, I have the QC 20. Occasionally they do pop. Not enough to bother me .Every now and then i clear my eardrums by swallowing. Changes the pressure in my drums.
Love them, the QC 20 as well as my ear drums. Lol.

Every now and then they go on special at The Premium Outlet. Never advertised, weird, you have to be there. Nor sure now with the Covid restrictions. Had them for about 6 years.

I have been looking at these. My Sennheiser's protrude a bit and can wiggle out.

Where are you getting your Shure's from?

The Shures fit well as long as you rotate them to the proper orientation ...a thin balaclava makes on an off easy.
I have a pair of Pioneer Rayz that are noise cancelling but they do not get the seal that the 215s with proper tips do.
Happy to see BT version of the 215s tht functions with the wired version I have ( maybe two sets )- good sound, good seal. I listen to music but most often listen to audio books.
That the Shures are modular is a big plus.

I have been looking at these. My Sennheiser's protrude a bit and can wiggle out.

Where are you getting your Shure's from?
425's from an online auction Bnib for $50. 535s were a replacement set from he distributor. The original set I bought got slammed in a car door and were destroyed. Distributor sold me a replacement set for 50% of msrp which seemed very fair considering it was entirely my fault that they failed. Current 535s cable is failing. Outer sheath has hardened and cracked apart. Inner wires are flaky. Not modular cables. Havent tried talking to distributor about these ones yet. Probably a decade on this set.

FWIW, I do not love the sound of the shures. They are decidedly meh. Form factor is good and the prices I have paid havent been terrible. I think I would like ety sound better but dont like how far they stick out.

EDIT:
535's are noticeably better than 425's. They sound better, they had a more flexible cable (425's may be more durable but they put in a wire for the ear wrap and it makes it worse imo). 425's have modular cable which helps when it dies but is more annoying to use as the IEM's and wires are not always properly aligned when you grab them (they should have put and anti-rotation feature in the plug).

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom