Dupont Teflon? Brake cleaner? and a faint squeaking... | GTAMotorcycle.com

Dupont Teflon? Brake cleaner? and a faint squeaking...

tsdexter

Hi guys,

*2008 Ninja 250R

Since DuPont changed the formula of the 'dry, wax lubricant' I bought some DuPont chain saver to use.. However, I found some DuPont 'dry, wax lubricant' in the smaller liquid bottle - it definitely has the 'dry, wax' labelling - do you think I would be better to use that for my chain instead of the chain saver?

Also, I need to clean the chain before lubing, I can't seem to find any *actual* motorcycle chain cleaner around here (princess auto, walmart, canadian tire, lowes etc.) - is it okay to use Brake cleaner? I've read 'non-chlorinated' brake cleaner is perfectly OK for chain cleaning - but can I use it on the o-ring chain of my bike?

Lastly, my bike has started to make a faint squeaking sound when I'm riding - I mostly notice it at slow speed/take off (likely due to exhaust volume at higher speed) - it sounds like it's coming from under the gas tank/front wheel/suspension.. I can't seem to reproduce it with the engine off and just pushing around (but i haven't tried too much yet)... Any ideas? Could it just be that the chain needs cleaning/lubing?

Thanks,
Thomas

Use kerosene, a grunge brush and rags to clean your chain.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

As per DID's recommendation, NEVER use a brush on your chain. I don't care how soft or how special, just don't do it.

Clean your chain with kerosene and a rag (WITH THE BIKE OFF), let the kerosene evaporate off for a good while, and re-lube with Wurth HHS-2000 (it's the same formula as the old Dry Wax Dupont Teflon stuff). You can get a monster sized can of the Wurth stuff for $20 from Daniel at Heritage Auto. http://goo.gl/maps/huixV

-Jamie M.

Just hose the chain down with dupont chain lube and wipe off.....the solvent gets all the crud otta the chain.

Or just buy chain cleaner...its what $5-$10? and doesnt smell like horror.

Back
Top Bottom