Dumbest thing you have done. | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Dumbest thing you have done.

Another bad one for me - while trying to make a management point to staff I started doing a workers job while he was AWOL on an extended lunch. Ended up cutting off part of my thumb with a textile knife.

I did buy a beemer once.

I did buy a beemer once.
Me too. It was the best bike i have ever had. BUT, one issue was the charging system. The rotor would self destruct every 35k km.$600 to replace and another $300 for the diode board that was sacrificial apparently when the rotor went. After the 3rd rotor i went to a very respected independent mechanic. He told me he could get a rewound rotor for half the price. But to fix the problem,i needed to replace the crankshaft. It was not spinning the rotor smoothly. Bike for sale!

Me too. It was the best bike i have ever had. BUT, one issue was the charging system. The rotor would self destruct every 35k km.$600 to replace and another $300 for the diode board that was sacrificial apparently when the rotor went. After the 3rd rotor i went to a very respected independent mechanic. He told me he could get a rewound rotor for half the price. But to fix the problem,i needed to replace the crankshaft. It was not spinning the rotor smoothly. Bike for sale!
What bike was that? You needed a new OEM crankshaft or the aftermarket made one to solve the problem with the factory cranks?

Dumbest that worked out well was probably jumping railroad tracks on the way to work on a 20 year old honda (CB450SC). It flew so nicely and the tracks were an amazing kicker (they had flipped more than one S10/ranger onto its nose). I stopped when I landed beside a driveway that was ~200' from the tracks. It felt like I was getting good distance but until I had a concrete reference on how far it didn't really sink in. I was slightly worried that the bike would collapse if I kept doing it. Obviously this was before 172. That bike was the most comfortable bike in the air that I have ever owned.

Similar story on sleds in northern QC. On a trail launching off hilltops and landing ~30 to 50' later coming down the backside. So much fun until one of the backsides was way way steeper than I expected and I was in the air forever. Thankfully still landed on the hill and didn't pancake but that was enough sled jumping for me.

What bike was that? You needed a new OEM crankshaft or the aftermarket made one to solve the problem with the factory cranks?
1984 R80RT. The only surefire fix was a new oem crankshaft. I did hear that people would have the crank trued, but finding seals was the next problem.
But the final drive was bulletproof. That bike was far more comfy than my 1800 wing.

Not bike related by automotive - not buying a manual diesel truck.

When I bought my old 2018 Ram 1500, FCA was getting rid of the RCSB 1500's and the manual 2500 trucks. When there was less then 5 of each left in Canada, I went out a bought a 1500 reg cab fully loaded. Took a beating on it when I sold it because I wasn't super happy with it. If I had bought that 2018 manual cummins 2500 out of Calgary, I could have drove it 100,000km and sold it today for more than I bought it for. Still hurts every time I see a cummins lol

Pulling a wheely on my '72 H2 when passing an Etobicoke cop back in the day. Got pulled over right way.

"Honest officer this thing is too light in the front end plus....um, when I accelerated the front coming up was helped by a manhole lid that was protruding above the paved road " Got a ticket for reckless driving (lots of points on that one).

Went to court only to find the notorious hanging judge that my buddies warned me about... I was doomed before court even got started .

"Honest officer this thing is too light in the front end plus....um, when I accelerated the front coming up was helped by a manhole lid that was protruding above the paved road ".

Got off with a warning....whew.

That beemer was a big touring pig with a 5 disc cd player in one saddle bag. Only bike I can remember not being able to get up by myself after a garage mishap. Still a POS in my opion.

had a car that wouldn't start so we decided to push it with the front bumper of a pickup , 10 miles into town ,it had the bumper with the rubber vertical things on it. Buddy was pushing at about 80kph , because why wouldn"t you ?

I glanced at the dash and thought why are the idiot lights on when the car isn't even running, so I turned off the ignition. At 80kph the steering wheel locked . I left the road, cleared the ditch and took out a shrubbery on a lawn but missed the house.

The police man shook his head and the homeowner wanted $40.00 for the bush, the cop told us to tow it the rest of the way with a rope like normal people.

Holy ****. Never ever, ever try to bump start a 4wheeler with a truck....

Omg dumb moment flashbacks, i'm kinda glad to be alive at this point.

Not smrt

had a car that wouldn't start so we decided to push it with the front bumper of a pickup , 10 miles into town ,it had the bumper with the rubber vertical things on it. Buddy was pushing at about 80kph , because why wouldn"t you ?

I glanced at the dash and thought why are the idiot lights on when the car isn't even running, so I turned off the ignition. At 80kph the steering wheel locked . I left the road, cleared the ditch and took out a shrubbery on a lawn but missed the house.

The police man shook his head and the homeowner wanted $40.00 for the bush, the cop told us to tow it the rest of the way with a rope like normal people.
I guess I could add a towing incident. It wasn't the dumbest thing I have done because I was a passenger in the ordeal. Sled died far down the lake, buddy was towing me home. Towing felt all kinds of sketchy and I was in a cloud of snow in the dark with occasional glimpses of his taillight. After we got back, I found out why it felt so dodgy.That was the fastest that sled has ever gone as I was being towed at 140. That explains why the suspension felt so grumpy.

Went into work and bosses snowmobile was parked in the middle of a bay where I needed to put a car. I thought this thing is a pig to start and its -19 outside so I'll get her running before I put the rollup door up. 1st time ever it started on the first pull.
It was sitting in the shop because it needed a throttle cable, started up wide open and fired itself through the bottom panel of the door.

I asked could you not leave a note on the handlebars? He said did you not see the vise grips on the side of the carb?? It was that kind of shop.

Back
Top Bottom