Dumbest thing you have done. | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Dumbest thing you have done.

Yup guy died last week at a shop near work cut his wrist with an angle grinder and blew out before they could get him to hospital.

Sent from my couch using my thumbs
I see alot of people using grinders take the guards off them

I see alot of people using grinders take the guards off them
I won't even work near someone using a grinder without the guard.
Few years ago a guy on the bench beside me was cleaning up welds with a cutting disc. Asked him not to. Told me he always does it that way. Unplugged his grinder, showed him my sidecutters. He stopped.
He got fired a week later for not doing what he was told.

I won't even work near someone using a grinder without the guard.
Few years ago a guy on the bench beside me was cleaning up welds with a cutting disc. Asked him not to. Told me he always does it that way. Unplugged his grinder, showed him my sidecutters. He stopped.
He got fired a week later for not doing what he was told.
Cutting discs are the worst. It's easy (especially for people that don't know better/care) to blow them up. I'm glad guards have gotten so much better so it is easy to adjust them without tools. It make them much less intrusive to use and therefore they stay on more often. The grinder is one of the few tools that I will wear safety glasses everytime that I use it.

Well thought I was done with doing dumb things but no ! Bought a $200 trailer project today. New it might need tires but hoped they would make it home. Smart enough to see the cracks and not try plus princessauto just up the street off McCowen. Went in saw the on sale galvanized tire rim I wanted. After taking off old tire in parking lot and struggling to line up holes realized I bought 4 bolt rims for 5 bolt hubs. Wasted only my time and felt very stupid returning to get correct ones.

Cutting discs are the worst. It's easy (especially for people that don't know better/care) to blow them up. I'm glad guards have gotten so much better so it is easy to adjust them without tools. It make them much less intrusive to use and therefore they stay on more often. The grinder is one of the few tools that I will wear safety glasses everytime that I use it.

good thing about zip discs, they only blow up once!

well i get to chime in again here, but i blame the universe.

installing new windscreen which had a couple spacers with metal inserts in the centre. I get the first side on, no issue. I'm installing the opposite side and i drop the spacer and it bounces INTO my air intake. ?‍♂️

i stood there for a literal minute in disbelief. So i finally peek inside and its sitting about halfway down, i figure its just in reach of my fingers. Nope. Got my hand sliced open nice on some kinda plastic screw and only managed to push it in further towards the filter.

First attempt at fishing it with a magnet didn't jive, not even sure if it's magnetic material. About to try a vacuum setup. My last resort is to lay her down and hopefully fish it out then, even if i have to start up ending her to point nose down with a few friends. I am not breaking down the bike to fish this out :mad:

Probably couldn't replicate this scenario if i tried 100x. Oy vey.

well i get to chime in again here, but i blame the universe.

installing new windscreen which had a couple spacers with metal inserts in the centre. I get the first side on, no issue. I'm installing the opposite side and i drop the spacer and it bounces INTO my air intake. ?‍♂️

i stood there for a literal minute in disbelief. So i finally peek inside and its sitting about halfway down, i figure its just in reach of my fingers. Nope. Got my hand sliced open nice on some kinda plastic screw and only managed to push it in further towards the filter.

First attempt at fishing it with a magnet didn't jive, not even sure if it's magnetic material. About to try a vacuum setup. My last resort is to lay her down and hopefully fish it out then, even if i have to start up ending her to point nose down with a few friends. I am not breaking down the bike to fish this out :mad:

Probably couldn't replicate this scenario if i tried 100x. Oy vey.
At least it's on the dirty side of the filter and you aren't trying to fish it out of the head/cylinder.

Non motorcycle related...but when I got my first good paying job in my industry (and still lived at home for the first year or two, at that)....not saving more of the money.

But hell yeah I sure lived the high life and had a lot of toys.

In related news, anyone want a DVD Player I paid $1600 for in 1997?

Or a $1200 Laserdisc player I bought around 1995?

A DVD recorder that I'm pretty sure I paid around $1200 for in 1999 or so?

No? Ok then, I'll let them collect some more dust in the basement then...fine. ;)

There was many other very stupid and frivilous purchases and trips and toys, but not a lot to show for any of it.
I paid $650 for my first VCR. It lasted 20 years though.

I paid $650 for my first VCR. It lasted 20 years though.
I have a denon 7 channel $1400 surround sound cd dvd system plus the $5000 proscan 36 inch old school tv in the basement still. Free to anyone who wants it.

I have a denon 7 channel $1400 surround sound cd dvd system plus the $5000 proscan 36 inch old school tv in the basement still. Free to anyone who wants it.
Hmmm. Old school like CRT? Must resist the urge to hump a 200 lb TV up and down stairs to play NES (specifically duck hunt) on.

Bought a Compaq 386/20 when they first came out.

Got a chunk of metal stuck in my eye as well.

Sold my 1973 Z1 for $1500 back in 1977.
Can I please have that bike back?

I don't like to play that game...
A bunch of CR125/250s
A '89 RMX 250
A '60 Bug Eye Sprite
A '59 Galaxie 500 with a retractable hardtop
At least 3 62-64 Chevy IIs or Novas (I've owned 5, built about a dozen)
A '74 Maverick Grabber with a 250 six that redlined at 6500, BorgWarner T10 top loader trans, 488 gears and 35# flywheel. NO ONE could beat me across an intersection. The thing topped out at 65mph. WHAT FUN!!!
A '67 Imapla SS notch back
A '67 VW type 2
A '67 VW Safari
There was more... I haveta stop
I'm gonna have a little cry now.

I don't like to play that game...
A bunch of CR125/250s
A '89 RMX 250
A '60 Bug Eye Sprite
A '59 Galaxie 500 with a retractable hardtop
At least 3 62-64 Chevy IIs or Novas (I've owned 5, built about a dozen)
A '74 Maverick Grabber with a 250 six that redlined at 6500, BorgWarner T10 top loader trans, 488 gears and 35# flywheel. NO ONE could beat me across an intersection. The thing topped out at 65mph. WHAT FUN!!!
A '67 Imapla SS notch back
A '67 VW type 2
A '67 VW Safari
There was more... I haveta stop
I'm gonna have a little cry now.
Wow, you had a good life. The 67 impala would have been a keeper or the chevy ll

Back
Top Bottom