Ducati 799 Panigale | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ducati 799 Panigale

It makes sense, 848 has seen a few revisions so a mid size is about due. I like the Panigale styling so I think/hope it will be a good looking machine.
I'd like to see Duc break stride and build a lightweight 250/350 again. It would never compete with honda/kawi 125-250 lines just because of pricing, but it would be a really cool option.

It makes sense, 848 has seen a few revisions so a mid size is about due. I like the Panigale styling so I think/hope it will be a good looking machine.
I'd like to see Duc break stride and build a lightweight 250/350 again. It would never compete with honda/kawi 125-250 lines just because of pricing, but it would be a really cool option.

If I could ride a smaller CC Ducati at a slightly higher purchase cost (2-3Gs more) I would. Simply because its a Duc and I'm sure it'd look sexy as hell. Also I have a pretty bad record and I'm sure I'd get significant insurance savings.

The market right now in Canada it is very limited about selling the MV f3, i only wish more dealers in the gta= more and better service, other than that it would be my first bike choice.
I don't think i would buy a ducati don't get me wrong they're a very nice machines, buy i don't like the sound of the v-twin!!!

The market right now in Canada it is very limited about selling the MV f3, i only wish more dealers in the gta= more and better service, other than that it would be my first bike choice.
I don't think i would buy a ducati don't get me wrong they're a very nice machines, buy i don't like the sound of the v-twin!!!

Its an L-Twin...and a Duc's exhaust note sounds means as hell, is just the dry clutch that sounds weird

Its an L-Twin...and a Duc's exhaust note sounds means as hell, is just the dry clutch that sounds weird

"L-Twin" is a technicality - it's a V, at 90 degrees, that's all.

Agree with you - the exhaust sounds mean, but only with an aftermarket system installed - the factory is a little neutered. Personally, I prefer the grunty, ballsy sound of a twin to the scream of an i4 any day...

With aftermarket pipes with buffles removed, it doesn't matter if it's a twin or a 4, all sound pretty damn badass if you ask me. I am talking about bigger bikes though, not 250 toys.

Agree with you - the exhaust sounds mean, but only with an aftermarket system installed - the factory is a little neutered. Personally, I prefer the grunty, ballsy sound of a twin to the scream of an i4 any day...

+1 to the v-twins!

One of the reasons I want to move back to a twin being a better sound note and usable power!

It was referred to as an L twin because the front cylinder was parallel to the ground. Dumb technicality. And the 1199 has the engine rotated further backwards anyway so the L is even less an L than it used to be.

It was referred to as an L twin because the front cylinder was parallel to the ground. Dumb technicality. And the 1199 has the engine rotated further backwards anyway so the L is even less an L than it used to be.

And L is 90 degrees a V is 45 degrees. Nothing to do with how the engine is mounted

And L is 90 degrees a V is 45 degrees. Nothing to do with how the engine is mounted

V-twins come in a range of angles. The L-twin thing makes some Duc owners happy because it tells them apart from HD-style engines. It ain't a big deal to me (or most others, I suspect). The Duc's have a nice sound. So do any larger displacement twins with good exhausts. But then, so too do I4's or I6's for that matter. Or V4's. Or V8's. Or V12's. :p For me though, I'm partial to the scream of a 4 over the thump of a twin.

V-twins come in a range of angles. The L-twin thing makes some Duc owners happy because it tells them apart from HD-style engines. It ain't a big deal to me (or most others, I suspect). The Duc's have a nice sound. So do any larger displacement twins with good exhausts. But then, so too do I4's or I6's for that matter. Or V4's. Or V8's. Or V12's. :p For me though, I'm partial to the scream of a 4 over the thump of a twin.

The point of the 90 degree twin is perfect balance so they are smoother. 45 degrees isn't smooth. It has nothing to do with Ducati owners caring about their twin vs the Harley. It's designed to be smooth

L indeed has everything to do with the unique way their engines are mounted, as well as the angle. If it was mounted traditionally it wouldnt be an "L" now would it? That's exactly why they coined the name.

Semantics.

"They" didn't coin the phrase, Fabio Taglioni coined the phrase "L twin" to differentiate it from the various "V twins".

I am not going to get into a lecture about engine configurations BUT when you want to "re-phase" an inline twin the most successful configuration is 86 degrees... just like a Ducati.

L indeed has everything to do with the unique way their engines are mounted, as well as the angle. If it was mounted traditionally it wouldnt be an "L" now would it? That's exactly why they coined the name.

Semantics.
No it doesn't 90 degrees is 90 degrees and 45 is 45. You are wrong period. The mounting doesn't change the angle. If the engine was upside down would it then be an A twin???

Whateeeeever man, there are multiple sources online confirming what I'm saying.

RC51 was a 90 degree twin too yet Honda called it a V-twin. RC30 was a "V four" at 90 degrees as well.

Ducati can call it a G-twin-with-a-side-of-J if they want, the commonly accepted terminology for it is still gonna be V.

Chevy made a bunch of 90 degree motors too, they didn't f-ing call em L6 and L8. In fact, the engines commonly referred to as "L6" were inlines.

Last edited:
buy i don't like the sound of the v-twin!!!

file.php

RC51 was a 90 degree twin too yet Honda called it a V-twin. RC30 was a "V four" at 90 degrees as well.

Ducati can call it a G-twin-with-a-side-of-J if they want, the commonly accepted terminology for it is still gonna be V.

Chevy made a bunch of 90 degree motors too, they didn't f-ing call em L6 and L8. In fact, the engines commonly referred to as "L6" were inlines.

Thank you sir for stating this so much better than I. (that was not sarcastic btw).

Thorough, brief and to the point. Well done. The fact that you won't convince anyone is merely the "reality" of the internet.

No it doesn't 90 degrees is 90 degrees and 45 is 45. You are wrong period. The mounting doesn't change the angle. If the engine was upside down would it then be an A twin???

Boom headshot...

Back
Top Bottom