DUC OWNERS ... need your help ! | GTAMotorcycle.com

DUC OWNERS ... need your help !

Tej

Site Supporter
Hey guys

I just have a few concerns/questions about my 1098. I've had it almost 3 years now and love it but I'm wondering if any of you Ducati owners guide in the right direction:

- What kind of seat are you using? I find the stock seat too hard and uncomfortable especially on long rides.
- Have you done/considered wrapping the exhaust pipes? Does it make a difference in heat factor?
- Do you think Barnett Clutch kit is as good as the OEM?
- How useful is the clutch slave? What brand would you recommend?

I'd appreciate if you could shed any light on these. I'm contemplating on how to prioritize and be able to justify them.

Thanks

Hey there fellow Ducatista,

Seat - I have the Sargent seat on mine...it is more comfortable because it's a gel seat.

Exhaust - that is personal preference but I am sure that wrapping would make a difference on the heat, I don't have that on my bike.

Clutch - I installed the DP Slipper dry clutch on mine...I went with OEM because you can't go wrong with it.

Slave - I put the Ducabike slave cylinder on mine and yes it does make a difference compared to the stock piece...your hand won't hurt anymore lol! It's a definite must get!

I had a DP comfort seat on my Hyper.It was really good,and not too expensive.What is your issue with the slave?

The clutch slave works great but it does make "finding neutral" more difficult. I am not a fan of slipper clutches on Ducatis; they left me stranded at least once a summer. Either the plates would go or the spider spring would break. I am now back to the stock unit and very happy with it (close to 20,000kms on the stock plates). when it comes to seat, I am using the Ducati Neoprene Race Seat, not very comfortable but it does keep you from sliding into the tank under heavy braking.

just my 2 cents.

Thanks for your input everyone.

I think I'm definitely gonna go for the clutch slave. And I'm gonna start looking for Exhaust and Seat options.

For the exhaust, you might want to go with a full system (a little bit more expensive but well worth it) and in regards to our bikes the standard exhausts are the termi, arrow and zard (from what I've seen and heard).

Seat options can definitely vary DP and corbin, this will always be a personal preference, I am currently on a stock seat but would love to upgrade it to something else (the race seat mentioned above).

I've heard various opinions on slipper clutches but nothing that extreme, you can't go wrong with a stock or DP parts.

One more thing - www.ducati.ms is your friend :)

Seat: You can go Sargent or Luimoto (if you want to save a few dollars)

Wrapping: I'm sure it will improve some.

Clutch kit: Ducati already comes with an aluminum clutch basket, so if you're looking at the the pressure plate/spring/caps it comes down to personal preference. I'm installing an EVR plate today.

Clutch slaves are definitely an improvement, but best results have been reported with a 29mm. EVR and Oberon make those.

Hey guys

I just have a few concerns/questions about my 1098. I've had it almost 3 years now and love it but I'm wondering if any of you Ducati owners guide in the right direction:

- What kind of seat are you using? I find the stock seat too hard and uncomfortable especially on long rides.
- Have you done/considered wrapping the exhaust pipes? Does it make a difference in heat factor?
- Do you think Barnett Clutch kit is as good as the OEM?
- How useful is the clutch slave? What brand would you recommend?

I'd appreciate if you could shed any light on these. I'm contemplating on how to prioritize and be able to justify them.

Thanks

The Ducati Superpole seat for the 1098 is very good and I recommend it for taller riders. Don't wrap the exhaust. Not sure why your bothered by the heat but the only true way is to get an aftermarket pipe to eliminate the cat. The barnett clutch packs are good but nothing lasts as long as OEM. Also the steel OEM basket is hardwearing but heavy. Most people change to an alluminum basket but they wear out far quicker. Don't bother changing the slave for the clutch waste of money unless yours is leaking which they don't on the 1098. If you want a lighter clutch just remove two opposing springs from the pressure plate.

Prioritizing is easy fix the important stuff first. If your clutch is slipping or very noisy check the plate tangs and the basket. Do not just replace the plates if the basket is worn also. Then if you find the seat uncomfortable change that. If the heat is a real problem for you consider a new exhaust. Don't waste youre money on a slave or wrap.

Last edited:
Buying an after market exhaust doesn't do much, the heat is there to stay. Only solution is to ride faster ;)

Buying an after market exhaust doesn't do much, the heat is there to stay. Only solution is to ride faster ;)
On my R1 the cat is right beside your right calf/under your butt. Aftermarket Y pipe removes the cat and reduces the heat 1000x :) I wrapped it for some extra heat protection though, so I can ride comfortably in shorts :D

IMG_2222.jpg

-Jamie M.

The cat is built in the can it self which is prob why it felt like a ton when I took it off. I don't know maybe it's just the nature of vtwins freakin hot as hell.

The cat is built in the can it self which is prob why it felt like a ton when I took it off. I don't know maybe it's just the nature of vtwins freakin hot as hell.

nuts roasting on an open fire, especially when it's about 40C outside.

Hard boiled eggs

Actually I was think of having ceramic coating on the pipes. Don't know how much of a difference that would make. Anyone here done it?

Back
Top Bottom