Dual Sport tire debate | GTAMotorcycle.com

Dual Sport tire debate

jmastinef

Hey gang, wondering who has feedback on different dual sport tires? Looking for something that's more road biased, with the Avon AV54 Trailrider as the front-runner. I'm going to be more of a 80/20 split primarily on road. Off-road would be mostly gravel roads/logging roads/well travelled trails rather than anything too crazy. Slowly converting the Aprilia Shiver into a 'do anything' bike. :)

Yes I'm aware that that's an odd idea that is largely impractical. I'm OK with that.
56302bb7c33ae045ce50cb970c0ce53d.jpg
63c92607179e3977a6011a9eff195d50.jpg
794e4aa540e27887be6c41ead9262f97.jpg
843af34154c1f2984a9454624b7e212f.jpg
df8b3ed68b5754134398ad9e331d1e23.jpg

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Tapatalk

Shnko 705s are a good start, I'd highly recommend Dunlop Trailmax Missions, although rated a 50/50, they act like a 80/20 on road, and 50/50 off, air down a bit for gravel and so far it's the best tire I've tried for dual sport, milage wise too, I'm 7k into a set and the rear isn't even 50% worn

The tread pattern also suits your bikes style and looks, esp the headlight and angles

The Achilles heal of your bike is the belly, even gravel roads and such throw up alot of rocks, get some rad protection at the least or carry JB weld. And some spare brake/clucth levers, those are very exposed.

Last edited:
I had the Trailrider AV54's on an FJ09

really, really liked them
zero comprise with pavement performance
and they were great in the rain

made the bike much more usable on gravel roads and light trails
certainly not a mud tire or for a lot of single track riding

they wore really well, I got 20 out of a front 16 out of a rear
the rears are 2CT, which is not common for an ADV style tire

the OEM tires are just about done on my Capo Rally
Trailriders will be going on it

I had the Trailrider AV54's on an FJ09

really, really liked them
zero comprise with pavement performance
and they were great in the rain

made the bike much more usable on gravel roads and light trails
certainly not a mud tire or for a lot of single track riding

they wore really well, I got 20 out of a front 16 out of a rear
the rears are 2CT, which is not common for an ADV style tire

the OEM tires are just about done on my Capo Rally
Trailriders will be going on it
Thanks man that's good to hear. I went back and forth a bit and then ordered the Avons. Arriving soon.

Reactions: J_F
These days I look for more 50/50 than 80/20, but when I was planning on getting another big GS, I was researching Pirelli Scorpion Trail IIs as a street-biased tire. Previous road tires were Tourance EXP and Anakee 3s which were both pretty good on asphalt and decent life and acquit themselves well on hard-packed gravel, forest service roads.

These days I look for more 50/50 than 80/20, but when I was planning on getting another big GS, I was researching Pirelli Scorpion Trail IIs as a street-biased tire. Previous road tires were Tourance EXP and Anakee 3s which were both pretty good on asphalt and decent life and acquit themselves well on hard-packed gravel, forest service roads.
I've also had really good experiences with both the Tourances and Anakee 3's. I liked the newer models for better wet grip and really like the Anakee's for all kinds of grip on pavement and light off road. Even for 100% street I'll use an Anakee 3 on the front and a Pilot Road 4/5 on the back.

Avons are on, great so far. Hit a bunch of gravel track south of Forks. As a plus, they make a world of difference when the highways are shredded for repaving. A million times better than full street rubber in those cases. No real difference in noise or vibration.
36a301c2869e77979dbe911ae2a05b26.jpg
b9e7e4ab00bec2204d307c7e012f5bfd.jpg
4ab6da4cd69d5a6879219ac6a2c6f12e.jpg
fb07e6fca7eb188c5ad1e83f72ab5251.jpg

Avon what? I found avon distanzia's took a few minutes to warm up so ride like the roads are wet for the first few minutes of every ride.

Is your plate preemptively bent or is the tire making contact? Plate contacting your tire never ends well.

Avon what? I found avon distanzia's took a few minutes to warm up so ride like the roads are wet for the first few minutes of every ride.

Is your plate preemptively bent or is the tire making contact? Plate contacting your tire never ends well.
I believe they are Avon AV54 Trailrider from the first post.

Anyone tried the Motoz Tractionator GPS? They're supposed to be 50/50 tires with very good pavement performance and long life too.

Anyone tried the Motoz Tractionator GPS? They're supposed to be 50/50 tires with very good pavement performance and long life too.
Thanks I had never heard of that tire before. Seems to be pretty decent as a street tire for such an aggressive tread.

I just put Pirelli Scorpion STR’s on my XSR700 (as well as a skid plate). Great tires for exactly what you want.

Great tires. Also have a look at the new Dunlop Mission Trails, one of the best new tires in a long while for adventure riding.
Several friends are raving about them and most YouTube reviews rate it highly.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

Looks like both the motoz and the mission trail is out of stock on fortnine in my sizes (90/90-21 and 150/70-18). Hopefully they'll be in stock in spring when I need them. Otherwise I might just get the shinko 705.

Have you guys seen that pete's superbike no longer carries shinko?

Back
Top Bottom