Don't check your phone while stopped at a red light! | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Don't check your phone while stopped at a red light!

Funny enough, today I pulled up behind some women stopped at a red light. I could see her fiddling with her phone from her side mirror. She noticed me and put the phone to the side and rolled up her window. I think alot of people think I might be a cop since I ride a ex police Harley.
Meh it's amusing sometimes, but man there still is plenty for the police to do....people are not getting the message.
More than likely she met a rider who called her out after discovering she was on a phone next to him (Seen it happen)

They can jump red lights too. Same with fire trucks.

Your argument isn’t going anywhere.
Only after they stop and make sure the way is clear.

Maybe Dylan will chime in about how he got ticketed by a Peel cop for reading an email while stopped in line at the drive-through of a Tim Hortons.

How TF they gonna give you a ticket for that?? My Tim's line is the slowest around.....plus you can connect to the WiFi from there.
I don't know who Dylan is, but I'd like to hear more about this.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Wait, so the cop can lane filter? This isn't stunting?

For people using phones at red lights, I don't have a problem with this, assuming they are ready when the light goes green again. If it has JUST turned red, and they bust it out to send a quick text (where it is down before the other lights even go yellow) then it's completely impossible for any damage to occur.

Honestly, the people I see doing the dumbest **** on the road are people who are just talking to their passengers (or they don't have an active excuse besides just being terrible drivers). Some people just have a higher capacity to perform a given task than others (some people can text, talk, and drive better than others can just drive).

no. EVERYONE thinks they are better than what they can actually do until something ****** happens. literally everyone blames *everyone else* for being bad drivers when they're generally no better themselves or refuse to ever admit it.

Last edited:
no. EVERYONE thinks they are better than what they can actually do until something ****** happens. literally everyone blames *everyone else* for being bad drivers when they're generally no better themselves or refuse to ever admit it.

That's why everybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and everyone driving faster than you is a maniac.

And then on the opposite Spectrum, a guy was looking at his phone at a light and noticed the other car to the right of him inch forward to make a right hand turn. He assumed that this meant the light at turn green and started to roll forward without looking. Ended up hitting my grandmother, breaking her hip and sent her to the hospital for four months.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

The part that annoys me is that it had nothing to do with whether the phone was in his hand or in a holder. It was his mind that was distracted.

When there were no cell phone restrictions I failed to prevent a crash. Stopping at a red light just as an intense conversation concluded, I immediately stepped on the gas when the light turned green and I failed to cross check for traffic. A guy blew the light and swerved to avoid me but sideswiped another vehicle. I did nothing legally wrong but a crash could have been avoided. Fortunately only bent metal.

What people fail to recognize is that the mental distraction is the issue, not that you have something in your hand. Talk to text is BS if the message is intense. The driver is not concentrating on driving.

How TF they gonna give you a ticket for that?? My Tim's line is the slowest around.....plus you can connect to the WiFi from there.
I don't know who Dylan is, but I'd like to hear more about this.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

D'oh. Donvan. Gapped out and typed my buddy's son's name. He's before your time

Like I said, it can be done safely, but that doesn't mean it always will be. It's much the same way that you can walk and text without walking into a pole; some people do it, but that doesn't mean that it's impossible to do safely. Or even driving (some people can do it safely, others are a menace no matter what they do).
You could say the same about driving with .10 alcohol, a professional drinker might outperform a rookie at .03.

DD driving laws are designed to be binary, you did it or you didn't. If they were capability based, how would you decide whether a driver is skilled enough to drive drunk, drive while texting, or for the real pros - both at the same time.
Of course. My point would be that if it's too dangerous for normal folks to do, it shouldn't be done by them.
They have lots of privileges and related training to perform their duties. Would you suggest they not be allowed flashing lights, speeding, handguns?
I'd argue it isn't actually unsafe, but that won't stop some people from getting huge fines for doing it.
What's your view on global warming?

They have lots of privileges and related training to perform their duties. Would you suggest they not be allowed flashing lights, speeding, handguns?

For starters, James Forcillo shouldn't have been allowed to carry anything more dangerous than a handheld parking ticket printer.

Was waiting at a traffic light and I saw a motorcycle cop lane filtering through the lineup peering into the cabin of each car. He was looking for people on smartphones, ready to hand out tickets.

About time.

You could say the same about driving with .10 alcohol, a professional drinker might outperform a rookie at .03.

DD driving laws are designed to be binary, you did it or you didn't. If they were capability based, how would you decide whether a driver is skilled enough to drive drunk, drive while texting, or for the real pros - both at the same time.
What's your view on global warming?

Wtf is a "professional drinker"?

I never suggested that cops not be able to perform their duties or use tools (lights, handguns, speeding) to perform their duties. I'm not sure where you're picking this up. I would say that they should only be using those tools in response to a situation though, they shouldn't be walking around with a gun in their hand, or speeding for no reason, or using their lights for no reason...and in fact they aren't supposed to to any of those things without cause, so I'm not sure what your point is.

What would you like to know about my view on global warming specifically? That's a bit of a generic question (and I'm not sure why you're asking).

Wtf is a "professional drinker"?
Do you really want me to answer this?
I never suggested that cops not be able to perform their duties or use tools (lights, handguns, speeding) to perform their duties. I'm not sure where you're picking this up. I would say that they should only be using those tools in response to a situation though, they shouldn't be walking around with a gun in their hand, or speeding for no reason, or using their lights for no reason...and in fact they aren't supposed to to any of those things without cause, so I'm not sure what your point is.
I think you did say that. In the context of a discussion surrounding the use of hand held devices you said "My point would be that if it's too dangerous for normal folks to do, it shouldn't be done by them."
What would you like to know about my view on global warming specifically? That's a bit of a generic question (and I'm not sure why you're asking).
I guess that flew over your head. You wanted to argue that texting and driving was safe, specifically you said "I'd argue it isn't actually unsafe, but that won't stop some people from getting huge fines for doing it." Forming an argument that suggests texting and driving is safe is in line with denying global warming.

How about an easier one - is the earth flat?

Do you really want me to answer this?
I think you did say that. In the context of a discussion surrounding the use of hand held devices you said "My point would be that if it's too dangerous for normal folks to do, it shouldn't be done by them."
I guess that flew over your head. You wanted to argue that texting and driving was safe, specifically you said "I'd argue it isn't actually unsafe, but that won't stop some people from getting huge fines for doing it." Forming an argument that suggests texting and driving is safe is in line with denying global warming.

How about an easier one - is the earth flat?

Oh boy.

You might want to re-read the actual context of my quote "My point would be that if it's too dangerous for normal folks to do, it shouldn't be done by them."

It was about lane filtering, not texting. And I said I didn't think it was dangerous, but the laws are vague enough as to both allow it and not allow it, meaning people can get charged with random things for it (Evox seemed to understand). Additionally, police are allowed to do things normally not allowed in RESPONSE to an incident, but aren't typically allowed to do these things without a specific reason (ie. driving down the 401 at 200km/h 'looking for people speeding', but would be able to drive at high speed if they were going to a scene of something like a shooting).

I guess to your last point, see above. :rolleyes:

Nothing new, before the days of smart phones and the "new" distracted driving laws a friend got a ticket for looking at a map at a red light.

You see it way too often, light turns green and the person sits there until honked at because they are simply not paying attention (then they get mad you honked)...

Simple, when in the car driving, pay attention to your task at hand. If you need to, park and look at your phone all you want.

Reactions: TK4
Simple, when in the car driving, pay attention to your task at hand. If you need to, park and look at your phone all you want.

Be careful even with this one. You can still meet the "right cop". We were stopped at the side of the road parked, police roll up and see the glow from the phone, its 10pm. Said your on the phone and your engine is running. I wasn't about to argue, I shut off the engine.

Be careful even with this one. You can still meet the "right cop". We were stopped at the side of the road parked, police roll up and see the glow from the phone, its 10pm. Said your on the phone and your engine is running. I wasn't about to argue, I shut off the engine.
That's exactly how it was announced to be enforced, engine needs to be off. Parked with engine on will land you a violation.

CQXlAlW.jpg

Back
Top Bottom