Does this look infected..? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Does this look infected..?

Hack

After 3500km... I think she be seized Lol

(2010 F150 rear brake caliper)
yEQqzVc.jpg

3500km? Typo?
Nope... 'Liberal estimate.

I changed the rotors and pads Nov. 21... Lol.
So.. that's roughly 4.5 months of nothing but commuting 60km per work day...
I though it was already fubar back then, but just got around to checking wear today... Yup... FUBAR.

That looks like way more than a few months on the car.

we’re the calipers serviced? I always service rear calipers when I change pads, the caliper dust seal looks to be 10 years old and the amount of corrosion on the pad clip looks too high for pads that are 5 mos old.

Make sure the pads are free to move in the carriers. I've had to grind or file a wee bit more clearance to make sure of this, on occasion (after cleaning off dirt and corrosion first, of course)

the amount of corrosion on the pad clip looks too high for pads that are 5 mos old.

Yeah... Weird eh?
The clip(s) on the inboard side of things are still shiny and new...
'Was a DIY job so I know the pads/rotors were new...

Anyway... 'Can't be bothered with fixing/replacing the caliper myself so... Into my local shop for the fix.
'Gotta swap out my snow tires for summer rubber anyway so... What's a few extra bucks... Lol.

Rear disc brakes always suffer more than fronts, usually caliper seize. I don’t really know why, I do know it’s alway been an issue on my vehicles so I always do a caliper service when changing rear pads.

On an F150 I’d just wouldn’t bother with servicing them - change calipers - they are about $100/pair.

Make sure the pads are free to move in the carriers. I've had to grind or file a wee bit more clearance to make sure of this, on occasion (after cleaning off dirt and corrosion first, of course)
I always file the caliper and pad tabs to be sure of a sloppy fit. A dab of tremclad on the filed up surface works wonders too.

Were you getting really bad fuel economy for the last 3500km?

That had to be seriously dragging if it wore the friction material off that quickly.... Or is it even there, IE did it de-bond and the friction material just fell off the backing plates completely? Can't quite tell from the pics.

Rear disc brakes always suffer more than fronts, usually caliper seize. I don’t really know why, I do know it’s alway been an issue on my vehicles so I always do a caliper service when changing rear pads.

On an F150 I’d just wouldn’t bother with servicing them - change calipers - they are about $100/pair.

Go to somewhere like Midland Caliper, drop off your old one and get a rebuilt one- Dirt cheap.

Go to somewhere like Midland Caliper, drop off your old one and get a rebuilt one- Dirt cheap.
Some calipers are cheaper to buy new. Midland is great if the caliper costs more than $60 each.

Pour some CokeACola on it, that fixer right up!

Were you getting really bad fuel economy for the last 3500km?

That had to be seriously dragging if it wore the friction material off that quickly.... Or is it even there, IE did it de-bond and the friction material just fell off the backing plates completely? Can't quite tell from the pics.
I’ve had that happen on my truck, it doesn’t take long for a slightly hung brake to eat itself (and usually the rotor).

Friction could be a light as dragging your foot in the pavement while driving - hard to detect in a full size pickup. You not feel it or notice a meaningful change in mileage until it’s too late.

Friction could be a light as dragging your foot in the pavement while driving - hard to detect in a full size pickup. You not feel it or notice a meaningful change in mileage until it’s too late.

Agreed...
I didn't notice anything odd while driving... As previously mentioned, I had a suspicion something was amiss when I changed the rotors and pads back in November... 'Had noticed some scraping noise so I decided to DIY the rotors and pads.
Funny though... The right side looked great. The left... Pads worn down to the rivets. Especially the inboard one.

Not being an expert, I decided to replace the pads/rotors and drive a while keeping an eye on things.
Well yesterday I said to myself: "Self.... 'Pull those wheels off and have a look at them there brakes"
And here we are.

Back
Top Bottom