Do you guys change out your own track tires? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Do you guys change out your own track tires?

sid_for_speed

Assuming one goes to 5-6 Track sessions a season( more if one is hooked on track days), I would assume at least some would change out tires every other session( assuming its track only spec). Even Dunlop Q4s or similar spec tires would start to show wear if one was to track them hard for 2 track days.

Do you guys change out tires by yourself? Is it worth it to go through the hassle of getting all the equipment, paying $$ and doing this stuff yourself?

I mostly rely on trackside vendors. They don't charge too much and I like to support them. I hate changing tires with levers...

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

4 friends and I went in on a No-Mar tire changer/balancer together. Best decision ever.
Between track and street tire changes, I was at about 8 tires last summer... others used more, some less...
So, even after 1 season, I paid for my share of the tire changer as opposed to paying people, trying to get appointments etc etc etc.
We put $5 per tire into the kitty to cover tire slime, weights, consumables etc. At the end of the summer, we put the excess money to a social.

Yes, many change out tires themselves. Reciprocity (rest in peace) had a fairly simple & cheap setup that I think was like half home-made but he swore by.

Trackside tire service is great... when it's present

Never used a tire changer. Tire irons, wd40 and a really warm tire (sun or garage heater). And a home made bead breaker.The last few streetbikes of mine always wore track take offs.

For roadracing events, everyone, and I mean everyone, gets their tires through the trackside vendors, and installation and balancing trackside is included (you take the wheels off the bike and put them back on yourself).

For track days, Pro 6 has their own shop at Calabogie and has staff to do installation there. They sell Dunlop but will install anything (at a cost that I don't know) if you bring the tires. Apparently there is going to be a trackside vendor at Shannonville also, although for the moment they sell Pirelli only. Presumably will install anything, at some cost if you bring the tires. Other tracks, you are on your own.

If I may also ask another question in this thread...

Do manufacturers still put some compound on the tires to release it from a mold?
How do track riders with freshly installed tires scrub the slick compound off?

Do manufacturers still put some compound on the tires to release it from a mold?

Brand new slicks are the best. Put them in the warmers for an hour or so, set the pressures, Go Go Go.
Some (most) don't even bother to take off the stickers.

Naive question - wouldn't leaving the stickers on contribute to track debris? Or do they naturally get completely shredded to the point where it's not an issue

Nothing to worry about as long as they're nice and hot off the warmers.

Naive question - wouldn't leaving the stickers on contribute to track debris? Or do they naturally get completely shredded to the point where it's not an issue
not an issue.

What if they're not racing slicks?
I have a pair of brand new Dunlop roadsport 2 and don't have warmers.

I haven't started to track my own bike yet, I've only ever rented.

Freshly mounted tires will have super high tire pressures... set those first before going out.

Then for your first session out, ease them in on your out lap and progressively increase lean angles (based on your comfort level or skill) on succeeding laps. By the end of the session, should be nicely scrubbed in and you’ll need to (re)set appropriate hot tire pressures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Manufacturers haven't used a mold release in years.

Roadsmart 2? I wouldn't use those on track unless you're new to track and ride green group.
They're pretty old (check the manufacturing date), which means they've likely started getting harder...

4 friends and I went in on a No-Mar tire changer/balancer together. Best decision ever.

Yeah... Mine has almost paid for itself.
Changing the stiff "GT" tires on my FJR and on a friends Victory is easy enough... I Imagine changing lighter tires on skinnier rims is a breeze..!

Can I ask what tire lube you're using..?
'Running low on the No-Mar branded stuff I have and will be looking for an alternative soon

Yeah... Mine has almost paid for itself.
Changing the stiff "GT" tires on my FJR and on a friends Victory is easy enough... I Imagine changing lighter tires on skinnier rims is a breeze..!

Can I ask what tire lube you're using..?
'Running low on the No-Mar branded stuff I have and will be looking for an alternative soon

Well, we always curse Sport Touring tires for my KTM RC8r... They're a real chore to get on and take a bunch of effort. One fellow has a Harley Davidson, and it takes an extreme amount of effort to get those on.

We use the No-Mar brand. I've heard Murphy's Oil Soap does a decent job, but have never tried it.

Well, we always curse Sport Touring tires for my KTM RC8r... They're a real chore to get on and take a bunch of effort. One fellow has a Harley Davidson, and it takes an extreme amount of effort to get those on.

You'll get it with some more practice... It's all in the technique you apply to the "bar" or whatever it's called...
Sometimes I find I'm having difficulty getting that last bit of bead over the rim then all of a sudden... SWOOOSH... it slides over..
Then I stand there thinking "how did i do that so i can remember for next time?"

I up graded to the "Posi-Clamps... makes a huge difference ESPECIALLY when working on ADV tires/bikesAC-POSICLAMPS-2T.jpg

You still should have the standard "blocks" for bead breaking though...

@Hack
All good.. the guy who has the changer at his house has literally done 100's and 100's of changes.. .technique is down...
Some tires are just harder to do than others... Pirelli track tires slide on like butter... Dunlop are harder etc etc.

Back
Top Bottom