Do the brakes on a Ninja 250 work without the bike on? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Do the brakes on a Ninja 250 work without the bike on?

tsdexter

In my car, I can use the brakes for 1 or 2 slow stops before the pedal firms up and they don't work until I start it (because they're hydraulic I assume?)...

Can I use the Ninja brakes continually while the bike is off? I've been walking it around the driveway and garage with no problem with the brakes firming up, so I think I can? The reason I ask is because the shop where I am going to get the safety is about 1-2km from my house, all down hill, I don't want to have to wait for a buddy to come by with a trailer so I'm thinking I'll probably just walk it down to the shop and ride the brakes on the steeper part of the hill. Is this a bad idea? What's the legality of doing this on the sidewalk (bike not started) and is it a terrible idea to sit on? (ride down the hill, unstarted)

The riding it sounds like a bad idea to me, but I'm a noob so I don't know if it actually is bad or not?

Thanks,
Thomas

If you are going to coast down the hills on it make sure the keys are in your pocket and not the ignition and I would assume you could on the side of the road like a scooter or bicycle as you aren't using the enigne?

yes they will work. the reason your car firms up is because they are power assisted brakes. which means there is a pump that increases the pressure you apply with your foot to get good braking on all 4 wheels.
on your bike, its just you, and hydraulics will work with the motor on or off.

side note, why not just ride the thing to the shop? if you look like you know what youre doing and its not that far, i would risk it. not being on the bike in full control down a hill could get ugly real fast.

if you do try this, please have a friend take video.

The reason I ask is because the shop where I am going to get the safety is about 1-2km from my house, all down hill, I don't want to have to wait for a buddy to come by with a trailer so I'm thinking I'll probably just walk it down to the shop and ride the brakes on the steeper part of the hill.
How are you going to get the bike home?

+1 for above...please take a video of the end result...

On a serious note, did you ask the shop if one of their guys can come up the 1-2kms to just ride the bike to the shop if you're uncomfortable? On cars every dealer has temp plates that they use for service, not sure if there's an equivalent of that for a bike...

There are guys who will come to your house to do the safety there. Search the forum..

If you are going to coast down the hills on it make sure the keys are in your pocket and not the ignition and I would assume you could on the side of the road like a scooter or bicycle as you aren't using the enigne?

This is what I was thinking. Was looking for clarification, preferably more fact based than assumption based though.

yes they will work. the reason your car firms up is because they are power assisted brakes. which means there is a pump that increases the pressure you apply with your foot to get good braking on all 4 wheels.
on your bike, its just you, and hydraulics will work with the motor on or off.

side note, why not just ride the thing to the shop? if you look like you know what youre doing and its not that far, i would risk it.

Ah, that makes sense. I cant ride it to the shop because it's currently registered as 'unfit' for the road (ie: not safetied), has no plates and no insurance... Not worth the risk.

not being on the bike in full control down a hill could get ugly real fast.

That's why I was hoping to sit on it and coast down the hill, it's 1 busy road, then 2 not busy industrial roads. I'd be too worried about dropping it if I walked it. Anyway, if I end up doing any of these ideas I'll be sure to get you a video ;)

How are you going to get the bike home?

Well, the trip home will probably be closer to 100-200km, so I definitely won't be pushing it... It'll be safetied and insured at that point, so I'll be taking a trip around town and down the backroads for a couple hours. It'll be my first ride... finally!

+1 for above...please take a video of the end result...

On a serious note, did you ask the shop if one of their guys can come up the 1-2kms to just ride the bike to the shop if you're uncomfortable? On cars every dealer has temp plates that they use for service, not sure if there's an equivalent of that for a bike...

Thanks, good thinking. I'm sure they have a plate, although it's registered as 'unfit' for the road so even they might not be able to drive it. The MTO girl said 'do you have a trailer because it can't get a day permit once it's registered without safety'

Thanks man, can't wait to ride.. It's just tires and the safety course I need to do.. (and getting it to the shop). I should be on the roads Monday but unfortunately it's a 'holiday', which it actually isn't, so I won't be until tuesday evening at the earliest :angry4: stupid gov't.

Fwiw your car brakes will still work regardless how many times you've applied them with the key off.

Oh and happy Canada day...

lets keep this on topic, shall we?

As others have stated, your brakes will work fine without the engine running. I also have to agree with others stating that it's potentially a bad idea, i know a 250 doesn't seem to weigh much, but if it gets away from you it will end up being much more expensive than borrowing a truck or trailer from a friend or family member.

Back
Top Bottom