Do motorcycles legally have to have 2 mirrors? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Do motorcycles legally have to have 2 mirrors?

I read in other countries that only ONE mirror is required for a motorcycle to be street legal, is this perhaps the case in canada

edit never mind two are required

Last edited:
here is what I found.

[h=5]Motorcycles[/h](13) Every motorcycle shall have, mounted on each side so that the horizontal centre of each reflective surface of the mirror is at least 280 mm (11 inches) outward from the longitudinal centreline of the motorcycle,

• (a) a rearview mirror with not less than 80 cm[SUP]2[/SUP] (12.5 square inches) of reflective surface area; or
  • (b) a convex rearview mirror with not less than 64.5 cm[SUP]2[/SUP] (10 square inches) of reflective surface area and an average radius of curvature that is not less than 510 mm (20 inches) and not greater than 1 800 mm (71.5 inches).

Even if you only needed to have 1 mirror by law, it's a pretty darn good idea to have 2.

One mirror is required.

66. (1) Every motor vehicle other than a motorcycle shall be equipped with,

(b) a mirror or mirrors securely attached to the vehicle and placed in such a position as to afford the driver a clearly reflected view of the roadway in the rear, or of any vehicle approaching from the rear. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 66 (1).

Exception
(2) Clause (1) (b) applies to all motorcycles except those manufactured in or imported into Canada before the 1st day of January, 1971. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 66 (2).

It is legally required have 2 mirrors in motor cycle.

Federal laws governing importation and manufacture require two mirrors. Provincial laws governing the actual operation of a motorcycle on the street require one, preferably on the left side.

I went up to mosport with no mirrors. Probably not the smartest thing I've done but I drove by at least a half dozen cops and I was fine. Although they probably didn't notice since I was in a large group.

here is what I found.

Motorcycles

(13) Every motorcycle shall have, mounted on each side so that the horizontal centre of each reflective surface of the mirror is at least 280 mm (11 inches) outward from the longitudinal centreline of the motorcycle,

• (a) a rearview mirror with not less than 80 cm[SUP]2[/SUP] (12.5 square inches) of reflective surface area; or
  • (b) a convex rearview mirror with not less than 64.5 cm[SUP]2[/SUP] (10 square inches) of reflective surface area and an average radius of curvature that is not less than 510 mm (20 inches) and not greater than 1 800 mm (71.5 inches).

interesting. many cafe bikes do not follow this.

interesting. many cafe bikes do not follow this.

That's because that rule is an excerpt from CMVSS, which applies to NEW vehicles. It applies to vehicle manufacturers and importers who want to sell the vehicle here as a new vehicle.

After the end user gets their hands on it, enforcement of the new-vehicle requirements gets sketchy. The HTA has lesser and/or vague requirements. Where things get vague, is where the HTA states that something has to be "effective" ... without putting black and white numbers or criteria to it the way CMVSS or other standards do. One way to prove (in the eyes of the court) that something is "effective", is that it meets the standards that were originally set out for it when the vehicle was new. If you have something that is lesser than what the standard requires in any way, then there could be an opposing argument that it (whatever it is) is not "effective" enough.

Bump...

So are under bar mirrors legal?

IMG_0907-1.jpg

This isn't my bike. On my DRZ I have two double take mirrors mounted under the bars and they are wider that the mirrors in this picture -- definitely more than 11" off center each.

Should be legal, right? Two mirrors more than 11" off center and I can see behind me just as effectively as a regular mirror when they are adjusted right.

One mirror is all you need, doesnt even need to really be any use as long as you have one there. many different cops, many different times pulled over, they only check to see if you have at least one and move along.

I went up to mosport with no mirrors. Probably not the smartest thing I've done but I drove by at least a half dozen cops and I was fine. Although they probably didn't notice since I was in a large group.

When I bought my bike the seller had to put the mirrors and signals back on it. He had been riding it for 3 years without. Didn't have a plate light, either.

My first car only came with one mirror. 1991 Toyota Tercel.

Back
Top Bottom