Do I really need an ABS ? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Do I really need an ABS ?

ajax.911

Good day guys,

I am very new to motorcycle riding and looking for my new bike. I found 2 options for R3 with ABS or without it. Price is about 1k difference. I know what ABS in car does, but do I really need it on motorcycle ? Buying bike for occasional riding. Thanks in advance.

I would suggest buying a used bike.

Do you need ABS? No.

It is a good idea? Yes. Locking your wheel up could be a mistake that doesn't end well for you on a bike.

If you chose not to i would suggest spending ample time in empty parking lots and practice hard panic braking at speed so you will know how the bike will react.

generally, no
an R3 for general riding? big no

if later on you get into heavier bikes and some touring
where you are going to spend long days in bad weather
then it can be switched to a yes

I would suggest buying a used bike.

Do you need ABS? No.

It is a good idea? Yes. Locking your wheel up could be a mistake that doesn't end well for you on a bike.

If you chose not to i would suggest spending ample time in empty parking lots and practice hard panic braking at speed so you will know how the bike will react.

I wanted to buy a used bike too, I dont want it to be very old, and for example when I see used bikes they are about 4.5k with abs new one is 5.8k, 1.5k difference is not significant especially that if I buy used I have to take it to mechanic for checkup.

I thought used bikes more cheaper but looks like not a big difference. I know that sometimes older bike could be better then newer but as I am not familiar with bikes at all its hard for me to know that.

whats wrong with r3 for fun riding ?

??
nothing, great little bike

your first post indicates occasional riding
so I'm assuming you will not be forced to do 1,000 km days in inclement weather
and it's a light bike

for an additional thousand bucks
ABS is a big no based on your indicated usage and the bike

For a new rider ...100% yes on ABS for street and get a used bike.

If you are willing to get some off pavement experience and learn how the bike handles on uncertain or slippery surfaces and which brake to use when ......then maybe not necessary but still preferable. The lighter the bike the more likely to lock up a wheel.

And even with ABS panic stopping practice is worthwhile

The advanced braking technologies to be required as standard motorcycle equipment in Australia include Anti-lock Braking Systems (ABS) and Combined Braking Systems (CBS). “Research has shown that ABS and CBS can reduce motorcycle related road trauma in Australia by more than 30 per cent,” Mr Fletcher said.

whats wrong with r3 for fun riding ?
he means shelling out for an ABS R3

don't worry, i had to re-read what he wrote twice before i got it. ;)

I wanted to buy a used bike too, I dont want it to be very old, and for example when I see used bikes they are about 4.5k with abs new one is 5.8k, 1.5k difference is not significant especially that if I buy used I have to take it to mechanic for checkup.

I thought used bikes more cheaper but looks like not a big difference. I know that sometimes older bike could be better then newer but as I am not familiar with bikes at all its hard for me to know that.
Buying a used bike has other perks, you won't be holding your head in shame if you drop it when it's all new and shiny. Plastics can be expensive.

Reactions: J_F
It's a farkle on the bike he is looking at.Money is much better spent on rider training from professionals. Just my opinion.

Is it a good idea, absolutely it is. Mandatory, no, but as said, take the time to learn threshold and panic braking, etc. If you want to save $$$ get used without ABS.

I’d say if you can afford it get it. Every little helps. If it’s stretching your budget do without it and learn how to use your existing brake system.

I didn’t think I’d really need cornering, lean sensitive ABS until it came on one time when a semi was in my lane while I was going round a tight bend in the Adirondacks but I’m kinda glad I had it.

I’m kinda glad I had it.

Exactly ...only a couple times I'm really glad I had it and at least one saved a spill allowing me to tightrope along the edge of the pavement while still having direction control.
Do I need it, no - the KLR is an ongoing lesson in engine braking and brakes, what brakes??!!!! - especially when I had 606s on it but for the street....yeah glad I had it a couple of times and I think a must have for a new rider.

I'm a little surprised the insurance wonks haven't added a premium for no ABS.

What happens if you learned to ride and rely on ABS and then you go for a boot on a non-ABS equipped bike? Although that is probably a mute point because I'm pretty sure it will be forced on all street bikes eventually.
& I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for insurance premiums to go down just because your more expensive bike is equipped with it.

My bike does not have it, was not a deal breaker for me. I would consider it a bonus to have though. My wife's bike has abs, I made sure of it when shopping. I want her to have every chance she can get in an emergency situation.
Having said all that we have practiced panic braking in a parking lot numerous times. She does a great job of stopping her bike in a real hurry, and the abs has only activated a few times.
I think she's doing really well as I tried the same panic stop on her bike, you really feel like you're getting to the edge of grip before the abs activates.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom