Do I really need an ABS ? | Page 8 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Do I really need an ABS ?

So, what's your point?
I guess my point is you can't really just throw a switch and have 6 pounds of ABS hydraulics just go away, it's more of an all in or all out hardware option.

ABS is priced as an extra now while manufactures can, trying to recover some of the costs of developement. Soon enough in will be legislated into every bike and then its just 'in the product' . Dual sports / adventure bikes get to have a disable since those that actually go off pavement on a big adventure bike will need to have an off switch. The only place I see ABS a problem on a street bike is if the street is loose gravel and rock. Or tracking your street bike and you ride at a pro level, which few actually do.

ABS on the Goldwing was good.No more difficult to bleed than a bike without it.But with the linked brake system,it was a pia with 9 bleed points and very uneven pad wear that the rider has no control over.The left front pad always wore out in half the time of the others.Stupid system.Same goes for Hondas "antidive" system.I disabled it shortly after buying that bike.
But ABS is good to have on a 900+ lb bike in a torrrential rain storm 2up on superslab.

ABS on any of the uber cruisers is a pretty solid idea. 900 + lbs is a lot of rolling weight to bring to a halt on wet roads. I saw the thought process on linked brakes and it may have made sense for some, but it was indeed complicated and not really that user freindly . Is Honda still doing that on the wing or did it go away??

Don't know about the new wing.I haven't tried one yet. Don't miss it because my wife can never ride again after her accident in 2017. But my new to me multistrada is so much fun, i probably won't try a wing. The mts is far more comfortable than the wing. AND it for sure doesn't need abs!

If forced to buy a new bike with ABS it will be the first thing I disable as soon as it gets to my garage after the ride home from the dealer

I'm kind of a "commando" guy like you in most things, but not in this. I can never outsmart a gadget or stop myself from grabbing a handful of brake in a panic situation, no matter how smart and on top-of-my-game I think I am. The reason the Can-Am 4-wheelers even exist today, rather than 20 or more years ago, is because its electronic stabilizers apply brake at the appropriate wheel in a corner which was entered too fast. The same with rollover potential of top-heavy whales like SUVs, has been greatly minimized by electronic stability control.

So stop the macho act and just "learn to love the bomb" (Dr. Strangelove)

I have 7 bikes, 1 has 3 disc + ABS, 2 have 3 disc, 2 have 2 disc 1 drum and 2 have 2 drums. I really don't know if it has ever made a difference to me.

Yes

It's kind of like insurance, which you'll need. It's up to you to decide how much insurance you want.

As far as insurance goes, this is super cheap. Just get ABS.

I can switch the lot off on my KTM 1290 super adventure. I can also have a whole bunch of options on and off via the dash menu.
Same on my GSA. I can turn it off. The ABS will also change how it reacts based on the different ride modes. Think the KTM has more options for this. Mine is either on or off and then whatever the default settings are for rain, road, dynamic, enduro, and enduro pro modes.

Back
Top Bottom