Disappointed in triumph | GTAMotorcycle.com

Disappointed in triumph

bigpoppa

13.5k long distance adv touring bike, that doesnt come with cruise control, not even as an added optional extra

I was going to say that cruise control on dirt can be dangerous, so it could be a liability decision based on how they're marketing the bike. But they offer it on the 900 range with spokes, so it's definitely a marketing decision. Car companies are similarly guilty. Want added safety features? You have to buy the package with leather, nav you'll never use because of Android Auto/Car Play, heated seats. etc...

yup
car makers been at it for awhile - decontenting they call it
a ploy to keep the entry level sticker price down
standard equipment is removed and available only on the upscale trim level

Did some more digging, and it turns out the 850 doesn't have an IMU, while the bigger bikes do. That's likely why there's no cruise...

Did some more digging, and it turns out the 850 doesn't have an IMU, while the bigger bikes do. That's likely why there's no cruise...

really? Didnt know cruise control required an IMU
I turn the cruise control off once I get anywhere near a twisty road

really? Didnt know cruise control required an IMU
I turn the cruise control off once I get anywhere near a twisty road
I'm only making assumptions here, and everyone could do theirs differently, but Triumph may make the decision that they don't want cruise without added info from the bike about traction, wheelies, etc. Having had a truck fishtail badly under cruise when hitting black ice on a bridge (rookie mistake), I'd be pretty cautious about having it on a bike marketed to be ridden on dirt.

Or it could just be 'decontenting', but I'd be willing to bet Triumph will stick with my explanation...

The idea of Cruise control scares the carp out of me on a motorcycle... Well the throttle lock type anyway.

The idea of Cruise control scares the carp out of me on a motorcycle... Well the throttle lock type anyway.

Dont knock it till you try it! Can never go back...

No more sore wrists or numb hands, no more speeding tickets

I find a throttle lock satisfactory, have both and I really have no preference for one over the other.

Every bike I get very quickly gets a throttle rocker and vista cruise. Being able to move your right arm extends a comfortable cruise by hours. I havent had a bike with real cruise but I expect I would prefer it over throttle lock.

As for scaring the crap out of you, I only use with while cruising/sight seeing. If I am at a spirited pace or above, I dont use vista cruise.

Throttle rocker takes a bit to get use to. It is much more comfortable not gripping the throttle but until you are used to the positioning, it is easy to bump it and get a big squirt of throttle.

1606002484145.png
Stupid simple, dependable, easy to set and release. $15 at Cycleworld on Sheppard & McCowan. These work on 7/8 bars.

If you have 1" bars, you have to use the universal version, they are adjustable for both size bars. More expensive and finicky.

You guys are missing the point here. The Tiger 850 Sport is a budget version of the 900s, road biased with ADV style. It is not being marketed as an off road bike. It has the same engine and displacement as the 900s, but detuned by 10hp (similar to the BMW F750 and F850 GS bikes). The lack of cruise control and other goodies is solely down to price.

If you want all the electronic gadgets, buy a 900.

I think they are trying to build it down to a price to make it a little more accessible and to try and fit into the A2 licensing in group in Europe .

I rode a friends 900 Rally. Its a lovely bike but a lot of the electronics I would never use, and I've personally never been a big fan of European electronics anyway.

I think for someone that was looking for mostly on road with the capability to do the odd off road excursion on gravel or dirt tracks its worth considering. Especially since its around $4k cheaper than the Rally.

I've personally been thinking more and more about the 700 Tenere. Its very light and very off road capable without all those electronics to keep it upright. The trend seems to be towards smaller, simpler bikes anyway. It will be interesting to see if Kawasaki release the new KLX as a twin, and if Honda bring out a small Africa Twin. They say the KLX will be announced in January

Why? Have you tried one?

View attachment 45959
Stupid simple, dependable, easy to set and release. $15 at Cycleworld on Sheppard & McCowan. These work on 7/8 bars.

If you have 1" bars, you have to use the universal version, they are adjustable for both size bars. More expensive and finicky.

The plastic Go Cruise is available in ⅞" or 1". Inexpensive and effective, though in my experience, they only last a year or two before breaking, and that's without constantly installing/uninstalling.

original%20(23)-500x500.jpeg

The adjustable aluminum version, at about twice the price, is the better choice. There's nothing finicky about it; as Ron Popeil might say "Set it and forget it!"

gocruise2bk-1-1050w.jpeg

I think they are trying to build it down to a price to make it a little more accessible and to try and fit into the A2 licensing in group in Europe .

I rode a friends 900 Rally. Its a lovely bike but a lot of the electronics I would never use, and I've personally never been a big fan of European electronics anyway.

I think for someone that was looking for mostly on road with the capability to do the odd off road excursion on gravel or dirt tracks its worth considering. Especially since its around $4k cheaper than the Rally.

I've personally been thinking more and more about the 700 Tenere. Its very light and very off road capable without all those electronics to keep it upright. The trend seems to be towards smaller, simpler bikes anyway. It will be interesting to see if Kawasaki release the new KLX as a twin, and if Honda bring out a small Africa Twin. They say the KLX will be announced in January
Nearly 10000km since June 5 on my T7, cant say enough. Its hands down my favorite bike I've ever owned and I have owned somewhere near 100 bikes.
It's really good for its size offroad and surprisingly good onroad and in the twisties. This bike was built for Muskoka backroads, the midrange pull is awesome and second or third gear wheelies are a thought away lol.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

I think the beef is that cruise should be a fairly cheap addition on a bike designed for touring, and would be much more useful than a ton of different riding modes.

That said, I'm pretty sure it's not such a cheap addition, as every other bike that has it also has some form of IMU or sensors. The FZ/MT-10 may not have the full IMU of the R1, for example, but it measures suspension travel and other feedback. Cruise is only a cheap add if the hardware is already there to support it.

The new 850 is supposedly ride-by-wire, so I'm sure these guys will have something out sooner than later:

MC Cruise - Triumph

(As an aside, I could never get that cheap plastic throttle lock to work on my bikes. Maybe sportbike return springs are stronger, but it would just slowly let go, defeating the purpose. I never did try anything more robust, but I'd be uncomfortable with anything *too* robust, as I would want the throttle to close without needing much attention in a bad situation.)

Nearly 10000km since June 5 on my T7, cant say enough. Its hands down my favorite bike I've ever owned and I have owned somewhere near 100 bikes.
It's really good for its size offroad and surprisingly good onroad and in the twisties. This bike was built for Muskoka backroads, the midrange pull is awesome and second or third gear wheelies are a thought away lol.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

It just keeps creeping higher and higher on my list.

I'm just curious, how do you find the seat height (sorry for the thread hijack). I'm only 5' 8" and have a 31" inside seam.

Back
Top Bottom