Determining roads with 80km/h limit or less? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Determining roads with 80km/h limit or less?

mdonald777

Is there a reliable way to determine which roads have a speed limit of 80km/h limit or less, in advance? I'm trying to plan a trip from London to Belleville and it's not clear which roads I can take with my M1. Choosing "avoid highways" in Google Maps isn't reliable I've found before as some normal roads have a speed limit of 90km/h.

If it's not a controlled access highway they all slow you down from 80k when traveling through 'built-up' or populated areas. Before 401 existed highway #2 was the trans canada highway you would have used, that is likely the route you will need to follow with an M1 and I hope you have lots of time because it will take you through lots of built-up areas.

... some how you need to get around Toronto and that is going to be your big challenge.

Is there a reliable way to determine which roads have a speed limit of 80km/h limit or less, in advance? I'm trying to plan a trip from London to Belleville and it's not clear which roads I can take with my M1. Choosing "avoid highways" in Google Maps isn't reliable I've found before as some normal roads have a speed limit of 90km/h.
With an M1, just stay off 4xx highways and you should be fine. If you use Google Maps, check the option "Avoid Highways" you should get an M1 compliant route.

London to Kingston is 7+hrs of riding on regional roads.

Thank you both for your rapid and helpful responses. I may adjust the meet up point to be closer for me to Toronto, since 7 hours seems like a very long day (riding a 2011 Ninja 400R).

I've been very careful to avoid 90km/h sections, but they seem to be everywhere even when it's a "road", which makes getting between some points quote challenging. At least it's only a temporary restriction!

this is a bit longer
but a much more enjoyable
and non 400 series HWY trip

RhxnFwn.png

Why not just get your M2. This seems like a lot of hassle.

+ 2 international border crossings to prepare for.
There is questionable pleasure riding most of the 400 series highways anyway imho, helps if you are riding a bike that just eats up the miles,
400' series roads are largely surrounded by motorcycle unfriendly meat grinder steel guardrail now too, that reduced my interest in riding it a bit.

this is a bit longer
but a much more enjoyable
and non 400 series HWY trip

RhxnFwn.png
Any idea how new york feels about M1? I don't. It could be a complete non-issue or though shall not pass at the border. Neither would surprise me.

Any idea how new york feels about M1? I don't. It could be a complete non-issue or though shall not pass at the border. Neither would surprise me.
It wasn't obvious from what I could find online, so I submitted a request to the DMV to see what they have to say about it.

I appreciate everyone who took time to respond. Gave me lots to think about in the next week or so before the trip.

If you are going state side, medical insurance might be a consideration.
Good luck on your trip!

There are few roads in Ontario with a 90km/h limit. Most are 80. If it's not a 400 series highway, ride it.

The route through New York state includes stretches on I81 and presumably I90, both equivalents to our 400 series. Best to avoid.

via Tapatalk

Did a 600km+ ride this weekend, from London up to Tobermory. Was able to stay on 80km/h roads with only a few detours needed on the way there. Coming back I took a different more direct route and didn't need to detour at all to stay on appropriate roads. Thanks everyone for your feedback/suggestions! Looking forward to my M2 waiting period ending, and not having to even think about this issue :)

Back
Top Bottom