Designing a WEBSITE? Newbie needs help!! | GTAMotorcycle.com

Designing a WEBSITE? Newbie needs help!!

BradPitt

I want to design my own website... any advice? i've googled it and just an overwhelming content about it.

what's the best builder - Dreamweaver? I have found a bunch of free ones on line but then some of them you have to pay if you want to actually upload the content to your own domain.

Advice please :)

What do you want the website to do? If you're as clueless as you sound (no offense) you're better off buying a prepackaged site with a built in news/blog script and call it a day.

Otherwise, Dreamweaver is a fine tool but it won't design anything for you.

NotepadIcon.gif

I want to design my own website... any advice? i've googled it and just an overwhelming content about it.

what's the best builder - Dreamweaver? I have found a bunch of free ones on line but then some of them you have to pay if you want to actually upload the content to your own domain.

Advice please :)

- Dreamweaver has a few templates you can start on, but their pretty basic.
- Depending on what you want your site to do, you might be better off with a CMS or something pre-built
- The free/opensource code editors are fine, if you know how to write HTML/PHP/JS, etc
- You don't need dreamweaver to upload your content to your hosting server, you can use a free FTP program to that. Dreamweaver has built-in FTP functionality, which makes it easier to edit and upload.

I use Dreamweaver at work. I like it. It's very good for building websites.

A word of advice, a lot of the templates you find free online are not very good. Effectively, you get what you pay for.

First of all, What is your level of understanding of HTML and how web sites work?

you can find many web designing tools, heck you can even create a web page in Microsoft word.

I think the best suggestion here is to maybe look at understanding a little about HTML, make your very first "web page" in plain html you write. This WILL take some time but it will give you a basic idea of how it all works. Once you understand that, you can go and use Dreamweaver, Frontpage or any of the many available resources in the net.

Joomla. Open source linux - far more user friendly than wordpress and has significantly more capabilities. Totally free with so many add on modules for customisation it is impossible to keep track.

Joomla. Open source linux - far more user friendly than wordpress and has significantly more capabilities. Totally free with so many add on modules for customisation it is impossible to keep track.

IMO - I would think wordpress is far more simple than Joomla. And I don't know about suggesting a newbie about a "CMS" let him learn the basics first, specially if he wants to "design" it himself rather than use a template.

How I learnt to make websites, a long time ago, using FrontPage Editor, is I'd download a already made HTML template, or save the webpage of a site whose design I particularily liked, loaded it into the editor, and tinkered with it until I got a concept I liked. That's how you can learn, if you have a WYSIWYG editor as opposed to writing line of code for it.

Good luck. By the way, HTML is getting out of date. Depending on what you intend to have a website for, perhaps a content management program like Joomla! might work for you. It'll take alot of testing various softwares, platforms, and quite a bit of man hours to get what you need, and make sure it works right.

Back
Top Bottom