Dentists - Like a Visit to the Dealership (upselling)! | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Dentists - Like a Visit to the Dealership (upselling)!

I just came back from my Dentist. Gonna be fun times soon for me. Either a root canal or a extraction is going to happen. One of my tooth chipped at the beginning of this stupid COVID and I haven't been able to get it looked at until now.

For the OP. I get what you are saying a bit. My orgrinal dentist just retired but he brought in 2 other dentists to replace him years ago for the transition. Since that happened I do feel a little more pressure for services, but I just decline what I feel isn't correct. But nothing sketchy like you describe. Some dentists are just use to doing things a certain why since most client have insurance. Obviously there are others out there to make money off you anyway they can.

Good luck hopefully you find someone better and fits your needs.

Reactions: LBV
Pet insurance, its a thing.

prior to pet insurance we spent 9K on ACL repairs for the same dog, 3K a shot , both back legs, one twice. Special food for his skin allergies, some dental work, dozen ear infections, related to allergies. Couple hot spot visits, one ER trip . He cost me 17grand and died at 6 of a heart condition.
He also chewed the leather steering wheel out of a brand new BMW in about 11 mins, ate a sofa arm when he was 12 weeks old, and swallowed an electronic key fob , Xray / ER visit......
I'd do it again.

Facepalm needed.

I have been going to Brandon Gate Dental. Neighbourhood is a bit sketchy but Dr Gorendar is great and I trust him. He sold a few years ago to a conglomerate but was still working there the last time I was in. I have no idea how much longer he is going to keep working. I am looking to switch to one closer to home as he is presumably on his way out and it is an hour each way for me to get there now.

Dave has been my Dentist for 31 yrs
I still go to him after all these years and its also a long drive.
Always trusted him and his skillz are real.
I thought of recommending him but the new office billing, (as noted he is just an employee now) is umm more on the over-invoice and see what is paid.
Ride or die until the end.

I've had a few really bad ones but now a really good one. The first consultation he asked what I wanted and I said to be able to chew food for a few more decades. He does the necessary and very well. In one lengthy session (I am not a dental poster boy) he warned me I could fall asleep. I almost did.

I had my lower wisdoms out after years of "Getting over it". I can't recall her last name but she, Ginny, was at Bathurst and St Clair. I came out of it high on drugs and surrounded by beautiful women. No bleeding or nerve damage and didn't need the pain killers afterwards. I almost took a ride the next day on the Sportster but instead used a jackhammer to put in a new washer vent. (About the same effect) NO problems.

On the other hand there was the self absorbed tooth scraper that blathered on about her life, her kid, her training while she punched holes in my gums saying oh your gums are bleeding.

Then there was the one who, after a cleaning, shoved a mirror in my face and said "What don't you like about your smile?" WTF. It's on a 50 year old face and my teeth don't show anyways. I'm not Julia Roberts. It sounded like she had just come back from a "How to make more money seminar." She was a one visit wonder.

A friend's nephew is a dentist and paid off a half million mortgage in two years.

Another friend's daughter manages a bunch of clinics that are owned by one dentist. I always thought most dentists were independents.

Thanks for the suggestions @Evoex , @GreyGhost , & @Kedo .

Bayview & Sheppard is definitely out of the way but Brandon Gate can be along the way home if I cut south to Finch from Steeles. I'm going to wait a bit before making a decision ... first dentist had me going once a year that's how good my teeth are - new ones every 6 months (if insurance covered every month I'm sure they'd be recommending that).

I may end up telling whoever I go with that I have no insurance - I bet that'll stop the up-selling when they know I'm the one paying.

Had a great dentist. He was murdered in the parking lot of tha Atherly Arms. Replacement is great. Bonus: he has excellent taste in hired staff.

went on a trek with my buddies many years ago to Tanzania
one of them invited 2 neighbors - dentists

after that I could understand why someone would want to murder them
useless fuks
one of them would filter the bottled water
because Africa

Last edited:
Nah, he was a really nice guy and well liked/respected in town. Bachelor party/golfing weekend up north. He was trying to defuse an argument. One of the locals blindsided him with a length of pipe.

I may end up telling whoever I go with that I have no insurance - I bet that'll stop the up-selling when they know I'm the one paying.

That is a great idea. No matter where you go.
I still get asked if I have insurance before the invoice is created.
Plead poor & pay by Visa, also mention “I hope it goes approved” as its pretty maxed....get the points and full reimbursement on you own to get the best value on coverage.

Last edited:
Had a great dentist. He was murdered in the parking lot of tha Atherly Arms. Replacement is great. Bonus: he has excellent taste in hired staff.

Is your replacement up in this area as I live near the Atherley Arms :p

Went to the dentist last year and apparently all my teeth now have cavities (okay, 20, which inculdes all my wisdom teeth) so I've now had half my face drilled and filled and need to wait two more years to eventually finish the rest as benefits max out at $1000/year at 80%. My teeth never bothered me before and my last dentist said I was cavity free. Now thanks to the fillings my teeth are more sentistive and I'm out about $1000 out of pocket.

I also hate how insanely high priced everything is. 20 minute cleaning, that'll be $240. Gah

I don't understand how the competition board allows dentists to operate as they do. For god sakes, there is a published fee table and you get ***** slapped hard if you try to charge less than that rate. Pretty much the definition of abuse of a monopoly.
Most dentist charge based on fee guide, But dentist can charge more then the fee guide but they must inform you that the charge more. Also you have to concent to any treatment before they do any work. If you feel they didn’t tell you or did treatment you didn’t consent too, you can report to their College RCDSO.

I have been going to Brandon Gate Dental. Neighbourhood is a bit sketchy but Dr Gorendar is great and I trust him. He sold a few years ago to a conglomerate but was still working there the last time I was in. I have no idea how much longer he is going to keep working. I am looking to switch to one closer to home as he is presumably on his way out and it is an hour each way for me to get there now.
I went to Ardagh Family dental once, that's all it took. The whole family now goes to Georgian Family Dental at the Georgian mall. Even the kids love it there, they are very good. Plus they are open seven days a week and evenings, I never take time off for the dentist anymore.
Might be worth a look if you're in the Barrie area.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

I went to Ardagh Family dental once, that's all it took. The whole family now goes to Georgian Family Dental at the Georgian mall. Even the kids love it there, they are very good. Plus they are open seven days a week and evenings, I never take time off for the dentist anymore.
Might be worth a look if you're in the Barrie area.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk
Kid went to georgian dental. At the time we had insurance. "Surprisingly" they found a cavity. When we went for the filling, they found another one to do as well. Each filling took 15 seconds. No freezing. Seemed more like a billing project than a required procedure.

Reactions: LBV
Had the same Dentist for 35 years, he's a rider...well rides a BMW K1600 :)

Been good to me, although my previous Dentist was back home in England, so the bar was set pretty low lol.

Is your replacement up in this area as I live near the Atherley Arms :p

Went to the dentist last year and apparently all my teeth now have cavities (okay, 20, which inculdes all my wisdom teeth) so I've now had half my face drilled and filled and need to wait two more years to eventually finish the rest as benefits max out at $1000/year at 80%. My teeth never bothered me before and my last dentist said I was cavity free. Now thanks to the fillings my teeth are more sentistive and I'm out about $1000 out of pocket.

I also hate how insanely high priced everything is. 20 minute cleaning, that'll be $240. Gah

My buddy's daughter makes $80 and hour scraping teeth. Not bad if you don't mind a sore back from all the leaning.

I'm sure the room, between patient disinfecting, insurance and equipment cost take a bit but I don't think you see many poor dentists.

My last cleaning was around the same price. The COVID procedure was arrive early, stay in your car and check in by cell. They come to get you and lock the office door after you're in. Mask of course. You don't spit the rinse water in the sink after because it might splash. A bunch of other little things as well.

He's in Maple. If anyone is interested give me a PM.

My dentist knows I have good benefits, books "accordingly", I go, I like my teeth.
He's always pushing for getting the wisdom teeth out, they're not bothering me, I said you have enough already for your Voodoo necklace.

You don't spit the rinse water in the sink after because it might splash.
At the risk of starting a whole other "venting" topic, that's just going too far. Some of this Covid stuff is just unbelievable.

Had my wisdom teeth out many years ago by a local oral surgeon. The next day a 20 year old guy died in the same chair i was in. They put him under and rolled the wheels of the instrument cart over his oxygen tube. Nobody monitored his vitals. Dr was charged and lost his practice. Scary ****.

Back
Top Bottom