Deglaze old pads with different rotors? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Deglaze old pads with different rotors?

Corsara

Site Supporter
I'm putting in another set of front rotors, which is slightly used. I'll deglaze it beforehand using green scotchbrite and brake cleaner. However, I have relatively new racing pads (Ferodo XRAC), so I want to reuse them. Should I deglaze the pads, and how is that done?

I'm just gonna scrub them a little on a piece of 220 grit alum-oxide sandpaper. If that's a bad idea, please let me know in the next couple of hours before I do it, thanks.

I'm just gonna scrub them a little on a piece of 220 grit alum-oxide sandpaper. If that's a bad idea, please let me know in the next couple of hours before I do it, thanks.

I'd be slightly worried about the abrasive particles embedding in the bad and chewing up your new rotors. I haven't done it before though, so I may be entirely wrong.

I'd be slightly worried about the abrasive particles embedding in the bad and chewing up your new rotors. I haven't done it before though, so I may be entirely wrong.

I'd be worried about that, too.. Don't wanna scratch up the rotors.. Wire wheel ftw

Never deglazed pads. I would think that scuffing the rotor should make it abrasive enough that the rotor would do that when bedding them. That's how I've always done it.

Never deglazed pads. I would think that scuffing the rotor should make it abrasive enough that the rotor would do that when bedding them. That's how I've always done it.

I've always scuffed the rotors too, never really touched the pads.

I've always scuffed the rotors too, never really touched the pads.

Hmm... I've deglazed the rotor already, so maybe I just won't worry about the pads then. You guys might have just saved me half an hour! :)

Back
Top Bottom