Decisions ... YZF-R1M / CBR1000RR-R / GSX-R1000R / S1000RR or Ninja H2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Decisions ... YZF-R1M / CBR1000RR-R / GSX-R1000R / S1000RR or Ninja H2

gobu

Hi all,

Recently sold an ZX-10RR, and in the market for a new bike ... any recommendations on any of the bikes mentioned on the subject line? By the way, I am looking for brand new.

Little bit of history: Fully M licensed, licensed since 2003, no claims / no tickets / etc. Currently living in Hamilton / Burlington Area. Being riding various 250cc to 1000cc+ bikes all my life.

Normally, I would like to "test drive", but I don't think any retailers or shops are doing "demo" days, so looking for options ...

I missed out on the February's Motorcycle Show, as I was out of the country, and with all these CORVID-19 situations and shops / retailers being closed, what are my options?

Thanks all.

Guess my recommondation in order would be ; S1000, R1, ZX10(U didn't mention but already had), rsv4 (u didn't mention), gsxr1000, cbr1000, Ninja H2, Panigale 4 (U didn't mention. I put the H2 near the end because it may be hard to get insurance for it even with a good record. And I like the Ducati but always worry about the maintenance. My 2 cents. Good luck. I'm down in the Niagara area so look me up if you want to ride. Licensed since 1974 and current ride is a Tuono. Track bike is gsxr1000

Last edited:
I might have ridden some of those ... I might even have a couple of them ...

Insurance on an H2 is, for now, comparable to that of any other litre bike. Most owners of those bikes are some combination of (1) old (check), (2) have multiple other bikes (check), (3) don't put much mileage on them (check).

The H2 is bonkers, BUT you have to ask yourself what kind of riding you do. It weighs something (I understand why). The stock suspension is harsh and unyielding (Accelerated Technologies knows which direction to go but tell them to go further in that direction, especially up front). Throttle response is instant and abrupt ... it's manageable at higher speeds, not so much when negotiating a hairpin. There is nothing else like this but it is not an easy bike to ride. "Balanced" is not a word that can be used to describe it.

The S1000RR (previous gen, I haven't ridden the new one) is an excellent bike. It steers nicely, the brakes are good, throttle response is impeccable, riding position is great for sport riding.

Too bad you sold the ZX10R. If it was a 2011-on, it is a couple suspension tweaks away from being great. The 2016-on are even better. The instrument cluster doesn't have the fancy bells and whistles and multi-adjustments that the R1 in particular does, but it just plain works.

I haven't ridden the Panigale V4 but I did not get along with the previous model. Steering too heavy, wants to do nothing but run wide. Speaking with someone who races one ... you have to change *everything* if you want to make it turn. Shock, shock linkage, forks, triple clamps. The V4 is supposed to be better but I'd sure not buy one without riding one first.

I briefly rode a Tuono. Great bike.

I personally love the I4 but i do really like the R1 crossplane engine.
So my choice will be
R1-
New Honda CBR1000R and the S1000R
Up to you whatever you decide they are all nice bikes expect the H2.lol

Hi all,

Thanks again for the comments / suggestions. I had ZX6R prior to jumping to ZX-10RR. Kawasaki is really pushing the technologies of their H2 platform across all others - H2X, HX2 SE, etc. I sold both of those bikes to my extended family members.

I don't have much experiences with Ducati models - I have heard about maintenance nightmares on various models - not sure if the merit still holds true for a 2020/2021 units in the super sport / hyper sport section? I might take a look at the Superleggera V4.

S1000RR did catch my attention - after they "fixed" the headlights - never was a fan of the "weird" headlight design / layout. Performance aside, I like the colour combination (my preference has been , always will be - if it can be helped: red/black or black/red mix), along side some other cool features - i.e. cruise control, heated handles, etc.

I'll get in contact with Kawasaki with regards to their H2, alongside Ducati for Superleggera V4, and BMW for S1000RR.

Hooold on a sec. The BMW was a rental (at Phillip Island). The Ducati was a rental (at Mugello). The Aprilia wasn't mine.

:)

And I just remembered, I rode a GSXR1000 at an endurance race at Grand Bend for a session. It wasn't a new one, but it doesn't look like much has changed. Good, user-friendly bike ... but I'm kinda gathering that the original poster is looking for something high-end or at least somewhat exotic, and a GSXR is not that.

Hi again,

Thanks for your input Brian P - as you were correct in your assumption - I am looking for a high end supersport / hypersport, and I am a fan of having "carbon" fibre components for aesthetics and looks. At the same time, my immediate "mods" when this new motorcycle is obtained would be a full exhaust system (with tuning done of course), limiters removed, etc., and I believe, there is no need for integrated tail lights anymore, correct?

At the same time, I am looking for an "aggressive" looking motorcycle. They are all excellent bikes on their own, so, don't get me wrong.

Given the lack of "physical" interactions with the new bikes, as per the CORVID-19, I have to relay my decision based on other riders' opinions, tech reviews on the internet, pictures etc.

Given that Superleggera V4 is a legal street bike, would there be an opportunity to get H2R from Kawasaki to be road legal, given its - what - 300 hp or so. I know the H2 is, but the H2R is not. Wonder if Kawasaki do anything that now there is a direct competitor?

Hi again,

Thanks for your input Brian P - as you were correct in your assumption - I am looking for a high end supersport / hypersport, and I am a fan of having "carbon" fibre components for aesthetics and looks. At the same time, my immediate "mods" when this new motorcycle is obtained would be a full exhaust system (with tuning done of course), limiters removed, etc., and I believe, there is no need for integrated tail lights anymore, correct?

At the same time, I am looking for an "aggressive" looking motorcycle. They are all excellent bikes on their own, so, don't get me wrong.

Given the lack of "physical" interactions with the new bikes, as per the CORVID-19, I have to relay my decision based on other riders' opinions, tech reviews on the internet, pictures etc.

Given that Superleggera V4 is a legal street bike, would there be an opportunity to get H2R from Kawasaki to be road legal, given its - what - 300 hp or so. I know the H2 is, but the H2R is not. Wonder if Kawasaki do anything that now there is a direct competitor?
For so many reasons, I doubt you could get an h2r on the street. It is missing many things that are needed to make it legal and govt certifications. Maybe in 15 years. Now if you bought an h2 and put an h2r engine in it, govt probably wouldnt figure it out but insurance would be angry if they found out.

don't see it mentioned
but it is 100cc larger displacement

RSV4 Factory
seems to tick all your boxes OP
agressive looks
lots of carbon
factory Akro full exhaust sys

hell of a bike for the same $$ as an R1M

YpqQRVP.png

If the Superleggera is on your short list, holy moly you are beyond my pay grade. I still would not buy a V4 Panigale of any sort without riding one first, to see if Ducati has fixed the steering relative to the V2. Obviously the basic platform is capable ... Scott Redding can sure make it go. But that's World Superbike (or British Superbike). The old Panigale needed to have everything changed in order to make it turn decently. And ... World Superbike does change suspension, and triple clamps, and swingarms, and shock linkage. They DO change everything.

The BMW S1000RR just plain works. The one I rode at Phillip Island was a bone stock bike with the street stuff taken off and race bodywork installed.

The Aprilia is a great looking bike but I like the paint schemes from a year or two ago, more than the current one ... I did not ride the Tuono hard enough to really say much about the handling. In my short slightly-twisty-roads trip around the block at Forks of the Credit, it seemed fine.

My ZX10R has almost 110,000 km on it, and it's tired, but it still works. If it blows up, I'll buy another one.

For so many reasons, I doubt you could get an h2r on the street. It is missing many things that are needed to make it legal and govt certifications. Maybe in 15 years. Now if you bought an h2 and put an h2r engine in it, govt probably wouldnt figure it out but insurance would be angry if they found out.

Hi,

I was actually thinking about that, would a H2R engine fit within a H2?

H2 is approx. 200 hp, and H2R is 300 hp.

The full exhaust system on H2R looks hype. Imagine that on H2.

There's no reason to do that. It's known how to make the H2 engine make more than the H2R does stock. Company called Van Demon makes a replica of the H2R exhaust system (caution: it is obnoxiously, window-rattling, neighbor-unfriendly, attract-every-cop loud). Look here: Kawasaki Ninja H2 Forum

If the Superleggera is on your short list, holy moly you are beyond my pay grade. I still would not buy a V4 Panigale of any sort without riding one first, to see if Ducati has fixed the steering relative to the V2. Obviously the basic platform is capable ... Scott Redding can sure make it go. But that's World Superbike (or British Superbike). The old Panigale needed to have everything changed in order to make it turn decently. And ... World Superbike does change suspension, and triple clamps, and swingarms, and shock linkage. They DO change everything.

The BMW S1000RR just plain works. The one I rode at Phillip Island was a bone stock bike with the street stuff taken off and race bodywork installed.

The Aprilia is a great looking bike but I like the paint schemes from a year or two ago, more than the current one ... I did not ride the Tuono hard enough to really say much about the handling. In my short slightly-twisty-roads trip around the block at Forks of the Credit, it seemed fine.

My ZX10R has almost 110,000 km on it, and it's tired, but it still works. If it blows up, I'll buy another one.

Ha! Money comes and money goes. Gotta live the life, right?

Money is not an issue. I just want something to be happy with. :)

Given I never had Ducati before, and how are they in terms of maintenance, parts, labour, reliability / longevity ?

Hi,

I was actually thinking about that, would a H2R engine fit within a H2?

H2 is approx. 200 hp, and H2R is 300 hp.

The full exhaust system on H2R looks hype. Imagine that on H2.
I havent heard one in person, but based on videos, I cant imagine a higher heat score than that exhaust. More and more municipalities are putting in special motorcycle noise bylaws. That exhaust doesnt meet the noise limits at most tracks which are much much higher than the street limits.

When I was at Phillip Island (on that rental S1000RR), I spotted an H2 with H2R-replica exhaust system (probably Van Demon) rolling down the entrance lane while I was braking for turn one. I made sure to stay ahead of that ...

Suggestion to help spend some money: www.leodescapes.com

I'm scheduled to go to Aragon, Spain, this October, assuming this year actually happens, which will be the third trip with them. I'll tell you what the new S1000RR is like to ride, after that. Or you could go find out for yourself ... (Mandatory track riding experience to do these)

yup
I agree the the graphics on the '19 RSV4 are better

some new non current 19's still around for a grand off
seeing that OP is looking to impulse buy a Superbike
that probably doesn't matter much to him

I6gMJ85.jpg

I'm with J_F on the rsv4. I would pick it over a ducati. And that V4 sound is phenomenal. And I am with Brian P on the s1000. Both these bikes need very little modification, give fantastic performance and are track weapons. The H2r are interesting but to me its something to go fast in a straight line machine.

Reactions: J_F

Back
Top Bottom