Dear Yamaha... | GTAMotorcycle.com

Dear Yamaha...

OldsCool bike :)
For me I like XT 660, i wish they bring some here.

Sunspark, calling Sunspark. I found your next bike, after your tu250!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sunspark, calling Sunspark. I found your next bike, after your tu250!

Thanks, I have to admit I am interested. They made it 50 state legal (you can see the cannister near the bottom front) and it has EFI. Nobody here knows yet about vibration. And now that I think about it, I wonder which factory Yamaha built these in. My TU has a gear counterbalancer that helps make it smooth and I would hate to give that up. Or the TU. It's a super reliable vehicle. We'll find out this summer when people begin reviewing them!

Edit: It has a centerstand! That's fantastic.

Last edited:
i have a SR500, great commuter bike! huge aftermarket.

$6k is a bit much for a single cylinder.

i have a SR500, great commuter bike! huge aftermarket.

$6k is a bit much for a single cylinder.

Depends. You could flip it around and point out the money saved by doing the valve check yourself and other things. You don't have to spend 8 hours disassembling the plastic. The engine is just there.

I can dig it. Would almost be like going full circle for me, I started out on a Yamaha maxim 400 (parallel twin though) that looked a bit like this. If I were a city mouse, I'd give it a SERIOUS look. Perfect size for bombing the back streets and navigating traffic, good upright ergonomics. However, being a country mouse, the engine would be a little small for running around the kawarthas and Peterborough. Would make a great second bike.

I can dig it. Would almost be like going full circle for me, I started out on a Yamaha maxim 400 (parallel twin though) that looked a bit like this. If I were a city mouse, I'd give it a SERIOUS look. Perfect size for bombing the back streets and navigating traffic, good upright ergonomics. However, being a country mouse, the engine would be a little small for running around the kawarthas and Peterborough. Would make a great second bike.

Small? I ran around up to Bobcaygeon on my TU250X and it did just fine! Also did a run up to Gravenhurst. The posted speed limit is 80.

I will admit I don't enjoy logging trucks tailgating but that is why I pull over to let them pass so I can enjoy a more relaxed pace.

Decompression lever and kickstart, yeah! I wanna be a lonely girl and ride to the beach for fruity drinks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olBM1U5bO7Y

Okay, Yams, let's get this straight. We know it's going to be expensive, just don't go Honda on us, okay? Deal!

Small? I ran around up to Bobcaygeon on my TU250X and it did just fine! Also did a run up to Gravenhurst. The posted speed limit is 80.

I will admit I don't enjoy logging trucks tailgating but that is why I pull over to let them pass so I can enjoy a more relaxed pace.

You can ride a 250 anywhere in Canada, but a small bike like that will be more prone to being pushed around by the wind when riding past open fields and you'll have limited luggage options. The posted speed limit might be 80km/h, but adhere to it on a weekend up here and you'll have grannies in minivans practically push you off the road!

A bike like that could technically take you to B.C. and back by adding a wind screen and a duffle bag on the back seat, but it won't be very comfortable. A bike like that really is intended for urban riding and day rides.

I'm a big fan of buying a bike that is intended/designed for how your going to use it. Riding in town? Get a bike like this that'll scoot around with ease. Track riding? SS bike. Posing at Tim's? SS bike ;) or chopper. Canyon carving? Naked bike. Longer distance canyon carving? ST bike. Mid-life crisis? Harley. Crossing a continent on the back roads? Adventure touring bike.

;-)

You can ride a 250 anywhere in Canada, but a small bike like that will be more prone to being pushed around by the wind when riding past open fields and you'll have limited luggage options. The posted speed limit might be 80km/h, but adhere to it on a weekend up here and you'll have grannies in minivans practically push you off the road!

A bike like that could technically take you to B.C. and back by adding a wind screen and a duffle bag on the back seat, but it won't be very comfortable. A bike like that really is intended for urban riding and day rides.

I'm a big fan of buying a bike that is intended/designed for how your going to use it. Riding in town? Get a bike like this that'll scoot around with ease. Track riding? SS bike. Posing at Tim's? SS bike ;) or chopper. Canyon carving? Naked bike. Longer distance canyon carving? ST bike. Mid-life crisis? Harley. Crossing a continent on the back roads? Adventure touring bike.

;-)

One of our semi-lurker forum members here rode her TU250X all the way to Newfoundland and back. Just saying!

Depends. You could flip it around and point out the money saved by doing the valve check yourself and other things. You don't have to spend 8 hours disassembling the plastic. The engine is just there.

if it takes you a whole work day just to take of the plastics...you're doing it all wrong and do not I repeat DO NOT **** around with the engine.

Am I the only one who thinks its a little corny? You could build a pretty wicked CB for 6 grand...I get not everyone is mechanically inclined to work on old bikes and cars but that's a part of what makes classics special. I just find it weird and cheesy, ever Hipster in Toronto will be riding one of these by the end of 2015 haha.

Am I the only one who thinks its a little corny? You could build a pretty wicked CB for 6 grand...I get not everyone is mechanically inclined to work on old bikes and cars but that's a part of what makes classics special. I just find it weird and cheesy, ever Hipster in Toronto will be riding one of these by the end of 2015 haha.

No you're not the only one. Simple tech is a big draw for me but why does that automatically mean wimpy components? You could have a bike like this Yammy that gives off the funky old time vibe with beefier fork, brakes, shocks etc at same cost.

Some people work with vintage equipment all week long, but don't want to buy someone's botched, overpriced UJM. They want a nice clean "old" bike (even if a bit pricey, but what isn't these days).

No beefy suspension parts for me. Give me quality parts instead, not chunky anodized junk. Not likely from Japan, but it's easy enough to fix.

I liked the list of "additional features". Essentially none.

I wonder how well the decompressor works. Kicking big singles to life is only so much fun. That's why I sold my XT350 and bought the DRZ400 with the easy button.

Last edited:
Yeah, we'll likely get caned with the expensive stick. We're a nation of resource extraction bumpkins led by a guy from Etobicoke, so we have no buying power.

8:5:1 compression ratio with EFI makes starting a breeze, apparently.

Post by conchscooter on ADVrider: "Much has been made about starting a big single but it's not that hard when fuel and spark are in conjunction. I used the window on the camshaft on my 500 at first but I learned to feel the starting sequence. Gently press the kick start until the piston meets maximum resistance, pull the valve lifter and gently push the kick start to get the piston past the point of maximum compression. Then, with the valve lifter released a firm push on the kick starter and off she goes. This should be helped by modern electronic ignition and not too lean starting mixture hopefully assisted by EFI....though I had no trouble with my carbureted SR500 in 1979. The little camshaft window helps novices but if you stall in modern traffic you will miss the starter button and doing it by feel with foot will be faster and less flustering."

This is marketing obviously, but still cool: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWG-hKuEdR4

Feel SOME love crankall!

Back
Top Bottom