Deals Gap / Smoky Mountains 2024 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Deals Gap / Smoky Mountains 2024

shanekingsley

Curry - so nice it burns you twice
Site Supporter
Anyone going this year?

I'd also like to find a different place to stay down there just to change it up a bit. I'll be out all day riding anyways, so don't need fancy digs, but looking for motels or cabins with a comfy bed and wifi. Any recommendations for places to stay on a reasonable budget and not too far from Robbinsville?

Maybe go in July or August (if I don't go to Gaspe) and and ride there/back using twisty secondary roads.
Or do a fall colours trip in October, but either way, take 3-4 days to get down, ride around for 2-3 days and take 3-4 days to get home.

Maybe go down through the Virginia's and then come back through Kentucky and Ohio.

I need me some of this:
IMG_1801-4K.jpg

and this:
IMG_1986-4K.jpg

Maybe. Wanted to for the may long weekend. Too much roadwork for my liking.

If we do, it'd be trailering down, and do 4-5 days using the Fontana campground, and doing day rides from there.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Maybe. Wanted to for the may long weekend. Too much roadwork for my liking.

If we do, it'd be trailering down, and do 4-5 days using the Fontana campground, and doing day rides from there.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Have you stayed at Fontana before?

I've always been curious what that place is like and the location is amazing.

Its like a miniature city.
The Lodge there is my favorite USA destination.
Thanks - What is that you like so much about it?

I've stayed at Ironhorse a few times and liked that spot. The Fontana lodge is around $200US/night if solo, so just want to make sure it's for me.

Thanks - What is that you like so much about it?

I've stayed at Ironhorse a few times and liked that spot. The Fontana lodge is around $200US/night if solo, so just want to make sure it's for me.
It's set in paradise.
There's quite a bit of convenience.
From a snack bar to fine dining, in different areas.
There's a store.
A gas station at the end of the driveway.
The pool outside the lodge is refreshing after a long day. There's other pools, and a lazy river.
The screeching of bats in the forest out back at night is nature at it's finest. Maybe a bear roaming in the parking lot at night too.
No wifi in the rooms though, only the lobby. That may have changed, hopefully.

Curious, if you leave early and haul ass, you can probably get halfway through PA in one day on backroads right?

And I wonder if its possible to get to deals gap in 3 days of riding? do-able?

I feel like last trip I was being fairly conservative in terms of riding hours (leaving late and stopping early)

It's set in paradise.
There's quite a bit of convenience.
From a snack bar to fine dining, in different areas.
There's a store.
A gas station at the end of the driveway.
The pool outside the lodge is refreshing after a long day. There's other pools, and a lazy river.
The screeching of bats in the forest out back at night is nature at it's finest. Maybe a bear roaming in the parking lot at night too.
No wifi in the rooms though, only the lobby. That may have changed, hopefully.
Sounds pretty sweet. I see they have some rooms for around $120/night which is more of what I was looking for. And they have wifi now too.

Curious, if you leave early and haul ass, you can probably get halfway through PA in one day on backroads right?

And I wonder if its possible to get to deals gap in 3 days of riding? do-able?

I feel like last trip I was being fairly conservative in terms of riding hours (leaving late and stopping early)
No problem to get there in 3 days of backroads. I've done it in 2 and that was early starts and late finishes.
3 days would be 8am starts and 5pm finishes, but moving fairly quick in a somewhat direct path. I prefer to start no later than 7am and finish up by 6pm and ride a few more fun roads or take a slightly less direct path.

I've left home at 5am and been well into the Virginia's by the end of the first day and that was taking mostly backroads after Olean PA.
Something like: https://maps.app.goo.gl/7NMperqd3XRf7VzAA

When you turn the ride down into a 5 day trip you really get to explore.
1652997337496.png

Does it have to be Robbinsville? Maggie Valley has some great options and is still right in the middle of things. I've stayed at the Castlewood there and it's cheap, clean, and owners are wonderful.

I had a fantastic time this year. I went on some roads that I don't usually and lost about 8 hours total of riding time to rain during the week. Good people, good riding, good area... the repave started on the Wednesday morning that we were there, so didn't impact us much. That construction on the 143 North of Robbinsville was annoying but no big deal.

Really liked the Rosso Corsa 4 tires, had no trouble keeping up with my friend's Hypermotard on SC2/SC3 combo, the Techspec tank pads I put on worked great for controlling the bike under brakes and the Leo Vince pipe adds... "character" to the bike. I had an Evotech fender eliminator with me but never got it installed, was too tired and the beer was too cold. Oh, and the $225 set of leathers I bought from Regear were great.

20240508132052-1fe5f88c-me.jpg20240508132227-93320363-me.jpg20240508132727-b147edaa-me.jpg20240508132300-54648910-me.jpg

Does it have to be Robbinsville? Maggie Valley has some great options and is still right in the middle of things. I've stayed at the Castlewood there and it's cheap, clean, and owners are wonderful.
The only reason I stay in Robbinsville is so I can get my early morning and late afternoon Dragon runs in when there is little traffic.

But never really considered Maggie Valley. I did stay in Cherokee one year, which is nearby and I really liked the area.
And Maggie Valley is way closer to some of my favourite roads (215, 276, Canada Road and more). I like this idea so thanks again:)

Anyone going this year?

I'd also like to find a different place to stay down there just to change it up a bit. I'll be out all day riding anyways, so don't need fancy digs, but looking for motels or cabins with a comfy bed and wifi. Any recommendations for places to stay on a reasonable budget and not too far from Robbinsville?

Maybe go in July or August (if I don't go to Gaspe) and and ride there/back using twisty secondary roads.
Or do a fall colours trip in October, but either way, take 3-4 days to get down, ride around for 2-3 days and take 3-4 days to get home.

Maybe go down through the Virginia's and then come back through Kentucky and Ohio.

I need me some of this:
IMG_1801-4K.jpg

and this:
IMG_1986-4K.jpg
Fryemont Inn..A ton of character and food is top notch.

Back
Top Bottom