Da 'Wave' | GTAMotorcycle.com

Da 'Wave'

Merkid

There is an interesting discussion going on the GTAM FB site criticizing folks that don't acknowledge the infamous wave back.

Here was my response:

"Don't take it so hard. The origins delve back to the '60s when bikers gave the equivalent to the 'thumbs-up' that the road ahead was clear of cops. That helps explain why Harley riders today seldom wave back cuz that was the predominate bike in that day. Btw, I am an old fart from those days if your couldn't tell....
👍
"

Comments?

There is an interesting discussion going on the GTAM FB site criticizing folks that don't acknowledge the infamous wave back.

Here was my response:

"Don't take it so hard. The origins delve back to the '60s when bikers gave the equivalent to the 'thumbs-up' that the road ahead was clear of cops. That helps explain why Harley riders today seldom wave back cuz that was the predominate bike in that day. Btw, I am an old fart from those days if your couldn't tell....
👍
"

Comments?
I just nod these days.

Sometimes its not safe to take your hand off, sometimes you're just feeling lazy.

I found the GTAM one. Gotta love pages that the admins are MIA on. The OP is talking about GTA Motorcycle Riders page.

I tend to wave back, but very rarely am I the waver.

My best wave story. Was out for a ride with 2 friends outside of Lewiston. Friend on a Fat Boy, other on a RD Daytona Special, and me on a RD LC. Fat Boy was in the lead. Basically 2 Horse flies buzzing around a cow. Guy coming the other way on a Harley. Starts to raise his hand to wave to buddy on the Fat Boy, sees the two of us behind him on smokers, stops with a puzzled look on his face, then puts his hand back on the bar. Buddy on the Fat Boy rides past him, both hands on the bars. When we stopped we were joking about it and I asked him why he didn’t wave to the guy. “I’m an ***hole. I don’t wave to anybody”.

I always wave at Harley riders if I meet them mid-corner just to see if they'll take one hand off the bars.

Very rarely will a Captain Jack Sparrow cosplayer wave at the DRZ. Likely too busy trying to maintain the exact speed limit.

Mostly everyone else does tho.

I normally try to wave back or at least give a nod, but when it's a nice weekend and there are tons of bikes out it gets a little annoying to be honest.

Almost no one "waves" in Aus but everyone has this nod of the head that has a twist as well.

That's because they drive on the left side of the road and the right hand is on the throttle.

I've ridden in a lot of LHD countries: UK, Japan, SE Asia and most of Africa, and the accepted form of acknowledgement is the head nod/body twist. Like a half-bow.

Also in some places in Europe (like Italy), they'll stick their leg out when they're passing you to say hello.

As for the topic at hand, I think Men Without Helmets said it best:

"You can wave if you want to, you can (twist the throttle and) leave your friends behind..."

Back
Top Bottom