cutting a windshield | GTAMotorcycle.com

cutting a windshield

Freddy F

Site Supporter
So today I accidentally scratched my windshield pretty bad, its a long story. The scratches are towards the top, and I was contemplating removing the scratched part by cutting off about 3 inches from the top and about 2 inches from the sides closer to the top to give it a shorter and more rounded profile, which I would actually be OK with. I have a local shop that does laser cutting which gives a very precise cut line but I assume the laser would burn/melt the plastic resulting in a nasty edge. But burrs and blobs on the edge could be sanded off, right? Anyway, has anyone successfully cut their windshield? (No I am not going to try buffing or polishing them out, they are too deep).

Took 4 or 5 inches off the top of my FZ6 to quiet down the wind noise (worked great).
That was some time back but it was pretty easy. Masking tape as a cutting guide and then I think I cut it using a hack saw blade taken out of the saw. Clean up the cut with a file and it's time for beer and a smoke.

The laser is overkill x100.

Also cut a postcard sized hole in the shield of my Wing for cooling. Drilled the four corners and then a jig saw IIRC.

Thanks. After researching and mulling about all evening I decided that cutting it will result in a windshield that will look weird on my bike/too short and I do wish I had less buffeting so I decided to order an aftermarket V-Stream.

Well since you replacing it, might as well try to cut it now and see what it looks like. You never know you could end up with 2 windscreens for different purposes.

A saw with lots of tpi works well, then router to add profile if you want, file to smooth out hiccups than hit it with a torch for a factory edge.

Dremel also has a nice plastic cutter disc, if you take your time it is a nice clean "un-melted" cut

If my memory serves me right... you have a Tracer

If you plan on just tossing the scratched one. I'll take it off your hands. :p

I suggest going ahead and cutting it as well.

I'm a huge fan of shortie windscreens. Looks aggressive and cuts down on the buffetting as well.

Try it, you might like the way it looks and feels.
Cutting it also gives you many chances to experiment. You can take and inch and then go for a ride to see how it feels and repeat. You could also practice heating and bending to make a lip on the section you are going to cut off and see what effect that has. Imo, you want the wind over your head or around your neck but above your shoulders. Both can be comfortable. I find other configurations much less comfortable (buffeting and/or pressure at speed).

I've bought some bullet proof material and cut one before.
The hard part was heating it to get it to bend.
There's a hand tool for shaping the edge.
I've been told that some of the materials used, can splinter into dangerous shards if you're in an accident.

I've bought some bullet proof material and cut one before.
The hard part was heating it to get it to bend.
There's a hand tool for shaping the edge.
I've been told that some of the materials used, can splinter into dangerous shards if you're in an accident.
Plexiglass will smash into shards. Polycarbonate won't. If I'm in a crash that is hard enough to break the windscreen, I doubt the windscreen will make the top 10 in objects that might kill me.

Thanks. After researching and mulling about all evening I decided that cutting it will result in a windshield that will look weird on my bike/too short and I do wish I had less buffeting so I decided to order an aftermarket V-Stream.
Buddy cut his down and it looks great. More of a fly screen at this point and he spray coated it. Same issues as you described as he was too tall for the screen. A hacksaw and some files and sanding paper will do the job. We cut another windscreen a few weeks ago for a different bike so clip ons could clear with a hole saw and nothing else.

BlueRidge.jpg
rear.png

Buddy cut his down and it looks great. More of a fly screen at this point and he spray coated it. Same issues as you described as he was too tall for the screen. A hacksaw and some files and sanding paper will do the job. We cut another windscreen a few weeks ago for a different bike so clip ons could clear with a hole saw and nothing else.

View attachment 49547
View attachment 49548

Nice. If I cut it, I will be very tempted to coat it black like he did.

Dremel also has a nice plastic cutter disc, if you take your time it is a nice clean "un-melted" cut
Curious, is it designed specifically for plastic? I have a Dremel and a whole package of the little cutting wheels but I think they are general purpose.

I suggest going ahead and cutting it as well.

I'm a huge fan of shortie windscreens. Looks aggressive and cuts down on the buffetting as well.

Try it, you might like the way it looks and feels.
Got nothing to loose and it could solve your buffeting. Made things way quieter on my FZ when I shortened mine. Instead of pushing wind up into your face it lands harmlessly (and quietly) on your chest.

We do polycarbonate fabrication at our factory - not motorcycle windshields.

It will cut easily with a fine tooth jig saw blade, the kind used for metal. You can clean up the cut edge with 80 grit emery, about $1 at any hardware store.

We do polycarbonate fabrication at our factory - not motorcycle windshields.

It will cut easily with a fine tooth jig saw blade, the kind used for metal. You can clean up the cut edge with 80 grit emery, about $1 at any hardware store.
Yes I was going to use a jigsaw and a fine tooth blade, with the windshield still on the bike. I may do it today and may take some before/after photos. Just need to go buy a new blade.

Curious, is it designed specifically for plastic? I have a Dremel and a whole package of the little cutting wheels but I think they are general purpose.
These are the ones I use/have you need a special attachment for the EZ lock system but it's all pretty inexpensive.
Amazon Link

Back
Top Bottom