Cross Ontario Road Trip | GTAMotorcycle.com

Cross Ontario Road Trip

slimtam

Hi folks,

I am planning a trip next spring from Kenora to Ottawa and looking to make the most of it by taking only the best motorcycling routes. Here are a few photos of the route I was planning (borkwn up into 2 legs - before the Tobermory ferry, and after):

ON1.JPGON2.JPG

This is just my first stab at it and am wide open to others suggestions. A few Q's I had:

1. Manitoulin Island and the ferry to Tobermory - is it worth the detour, or should I just save the time and continue down the highway to Parry Sound and reconnect with my journey there?

2. Highway 17 vs. Highway 129 - when I hit Wawa, my plan is to continue down Route 17 along Lake Superior toward the Soo, however I am wondering if the detour down Highway 129 would be better? I only have time to do one or the other and would like to see whichever offers the most scenery/enjoyable ride.

3. Is there a better route through the Kawarthas than what I have shown? Couldn't find a lot of info online...

Also, I should mention that I will not be travelling into the southern Ontario/Niagara region.

Thanks.

Watch out for the lumber trucks. If it's any thing like it was when I got married.

Hi folks,

I am planning a trip next spring from Kenora to Ottawa and looking to make the most of it by taking only the best motorcycling routes. Here are a few photos of the route I was planning (borkwn up into 2 legs - before the Tobermory ferry, and after):

View attachment 52162View attachment 52163

This is just my first stab at it and am wide open to others suggestions. A few Q's I had:

1. Manitoulin Island and the ferry to Tobermory - is it worth the detour, or should I just save the time and continue down the highway to Parry Sound and reconnect with my journey there?

2. Highway 17 vs. Highway 129 - when I hit Wawa, my plan is to continue down Route 17 along Lake Superior toward the Soo, however I am wondering if the detour down Highway 129 would be better? I only have time to do one or the other and would like to see whichever offers the most scenery/enjoyable ride.

3. Is there a better route through the Kawarthas than what I have shown? Couldn't find a lot of info online...

Also, I should mention that I will not be travelling into the southern Ontario/Niagara region.

Thanks.
From Kenora, if you have the time, then I would ride the ladder below the Trans Canada, because the 502 is freshly paved and the others are really nice for fast sweepers and nice scenery.
1636397247895.png

If you are looking for great motorcycling roads, I would suggest skipping Manitoulin (unless you really want that ferry experience), because then you don't have to ride the straight line abyss between Tobermory and Orillia. The Hwy #6 that runs south from the Trans Canada at Espanola down to Little Current is really great, so I would suggest you do that as an out & back and you might get lucky and see the swing bridge in operation in Little Current.
For your question about the Trans Canada vs Hwy 129, if you can only do one, then I would suggest to do the Trans Canada for the sheer beauty of that section and many stop off areas. If you are going to Ottawa and then doing a return trip back to Kenora, then take a different route each way or go up and down the 129 for southern (best) portion of it.
The 556 out to Glendale/Searchmont is a ton of fun with great corners and beautiful pavement, but the road then turns to gravel for 84km to Aubrey Falls, so turn back around and ride back to the Trans Canada. Also the 638 is great road to bypass the traffic and slowdowns near the Soo. The route below includes all that stuff I suggested between Wawa and Huntsville as well as an amazing Elliot Lake loop and the Hwy518 for good measure.
1636398026274.png

Then to get from Huntsville to Ottawa, I don't see value in heading as far south as Lake Ontario, because the traffic will be much higher and roads are far less interesting. So you can take the easy route through Algonquin Park which is less technical and quite scenic, or you can go under the park and hit up some nice twisty bits on the way to Ottawa like this: Huntsville to Ottawa
1636398316893.png

Lastly, this thread has a bunch of good roads mapped out which may be of use to you.
Have a great trip!

From Kenora, if you have the time, then I would ride the ladder below the Trans Canada, because the 502 is freshly paved and the others are really nice for fast sweepers and nice scenery.
View attachment 52164

If you are looking for great motorcycling roads, I would suggest skipping Manitoulin (unless you really want that ferry experience), because then you don't have to ride the straight line abyss between Tobermory and Orillia. The Hwy #6 that runs south from the Trans Canada at Espanola down to Little Current is really great, so I would suggest you do that as an out & back and you might get lucky and see the swing bridge in operation in Little Current.
For your question about the Trans Canada vs Hwy 129, if you can only do one, then I would suggest to do the Trans Canada for the sheer beauty of that section and many stop off areas. If you are going to Ottawa and then doing a return trip back to Kenora, then take a different route each way or go up and down the 129 for southern (best) portion of it.
The 556 out to Glendale/Searchmont is a ton of fun with great corners and beautiful pavement, but the road then turns to gravel for 84km to Aubrey Falls, so turn back around and ride back to the Trans Canada. Also the 638 is great road to bypass the traffic and slowdowns near the Soo. The route below includes all that stuff I suggested between Wawa and Huntsville as well as an amazing Elliot Lake loop and the Hwy518 for good measure.
View attachment 52165

Then to get from Huntsville to Ottawa, I don't see value in heading as far south as Lake Ontario, because the traffic will be much higher and roads are far less interesting. So you can take the easy route through Algonquin Park which is less technical and quite scenic, or you can go under the park and hit up some nice twisty bits on the way to Ottawa like this: Huntsville to Ottawa
View attachment 52166

Lastly, this thread has a bunch of good roads mapped out which may be of use to you.
Have a great trip!
Hey @shanekingsley thanks for the suggestion about skipping Manitoulin. That was my instinct as well. Just wanted ot make sure I wasn't missing a motorcycle bucket list trip if I skipped it.

I see your point about the road from Huntsville to Ottawa - looks twisty and more relaxed - but I'd miss the Kawarthas, Prince Edward and the 1000 Island Parkway. Is it worth the trade off?

The Chi Chemaun ferry "experience" is over rated IMO...
I've done it 3x and each time was a PITA trying to make sure those who don't know how to strap down a bike dont knock mine over..
Last trip I witnessed two Harley dudes run onto each other roaring off the ramp...
Only one fell over though

Hey @shanekingsley thanks for the suggestion about skipping Manitoulin. That was my instinct as well. Just wanted ot make sure I wasn't missing a motorcycle bucket list trip if I skipped it.

I see your point about the road from Huntsville to Ottawa - looks twisty and more relaxed - but I'd miss the Kawarthas, Prince Edward and the 1000 Island Parkway. Is it worth the trade off?
Imo, there isn't much to miss in PEC. Kawarthas have some nice moments but I would trust SK's guidance.

What kind of bike do you ride and what kind of roads do you like to ride?

It really all boils down to what kind of stuff you want to experience. For me it's trying to ride as many twisty roads as I can fit into a route that also have lots of opportunities to ride by lakes, rivers and see some cool views along the way.If you are into hilly, twisty roads filled with lots of cornering, then take the northern route. so my advice and knowledge is biased towards that.

If you prefer a relaxed ride with mostly straighter roads and wide open scenery, then take a more southern route, but just be aware that the further south you go, the more traffic you will encounter.

If you prefer a relaxed ride with mostly straighter roads and wide open scenery, then take a more southern route, but just be aware that the further south you go, the more traffic you will encounter.
And I don't know how long OP has been away from the GTA, but driving ability and situational awareness is pretty crap in southern ontario. My wife used to commute up to Barrie and north and noticed driving improving markedly as you moved north. Not so much anymore as most of barrie is people that have moved north.

What kind of bike do you ride and what kind of roads do you like to ride?

It really all boils down to what kind of stuff you want to experience. For me it's trying to ride as many twisty roads as I can fit into a route that also have lots of opportunities to ride by lakes, rivers and see some cool views along the way.If you are into hilly, twisty roads filled with lots of cornering, then take the northern route. so my advice and knowledge is biased towards that.

I have a triumph Bonneville (2019) and am a relaxed kind of rider for sure. Not a speed demon or a highly technical rider. Looking for more of a relaxed and “get lost” kind of pace.

Hey again. Thanks for the advice folks. The more I think about, the more I agree to steer clear of Southern ON for a more relaxing ride. Based on your advice, and on @shanekingsley's map, here's what I'm thinking now. Thoughts?

That looks like a great route. The only thing I would suggest is once you get to Calabogie, then head down the 511 to #9 Tatlock road and take that southeast until the #16 and then head east from there towards Ottawa.
The Hwy511 and Tatlock Rd are nice rides with great pavement and big curves.

Back
Top Bottom