Craft Beer: What are you drinking now?? | Page 32 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Craft Beer: What are you drinking now??

not a craft beer
but the canned Guinness with the nitrogen widget is damned good

a few hours in the fridge, then open and let the widget do it's thing for one minute
pour as per usual into a decent glass....it is surprisingly close to a freshly pulled pint

One of my favourite ways to teach about gas laws to students.

True story, I got in on the big once-in-five-lifetimes WV12 offering to Canada (AB primarily) a number of years back now. I picked up 15 or so 6 packs, each with glasses. I have enough cellaring to sample four a year for the next 20 years plus. Unicorn beer and a great back story. Sadly I've lost some historical web history but it's still a great story with what I can find here.

I have ~ 300 beer cellaring overall. I love the Belgians and also enjoy many other beer types. The US Craft scene is not messing around . For both types of beer, there's one of the biggest craft beer stores in NA in Buffalo (it has over 1K or so different beers, many by the bottle). Get plugged into the national and international craft beer import scene in the GTA and many amazing beer options open up (far beyond the LCBO).

It's cool to hear about the local scene here too.

Enjoy great beer.

Nice.
My wife and I were travelling in France and Belgium in 2009.
We stumbled across the Westvleteren Abbey and stopped in to try their wares. At that time I had no idea that I was sampling one of the most difficult to try beers in the world.

I didn’t read through all of your links, but the story that I heard was that they finally decided to release their beer to the world because they needed to raise funds for a new roof on the monastery. Prior to that you had to travel to their location.

Glad you had the foresight to get some.

Yes, the US produces some amazing craft product. I find their quality better than what we have in Ontario. Quebec is on par with the States in my opinion.

Are you referring to Consumers Beverages in Buffalo?

Cheers,
Rob

Well, it's the most I've ever paid for a regular sized can.
I believe they're only available at the brewery.

I’ve paid $6 for a 330ml can of triple IPA (Barncat)
Worth every penny.

Nice.
We stumbled across the Westvleteren Abbey and stopped in to try their wares. At that time I had no idea that I was sampling one of the most difficult to try beers in the world.

I didn’t read through all of your links, but the story that I heard was that they finally decided to release their beer to the world because they needed to raise funds for a new roof on the monastery. Prior to that you had to travel to their location.

Yes, the US produces some amazing craft product. I find their quality better than what we have in Ontario. Quebec is on par with the States in my opinion.

Thx Rob! What a great backstory in those links. WV has its own Wikipedia page as well.

Here's a Toronto Life article about it as well from that one-time WVXII release.

Good memory, yes, the monastery needed renovations including the roof (and foundation) resulting in that one-time ever release. It's been great to get into the deep beer scene. I've gotten to know and use a variety of independent liquor importers around for the rare QC, US and European scene (some incredible Belgian options available through these markets). Zwanze day coming to TO and Bierra Volo is another example and an epic rare worldwide festival opportunity with Cantillon (I have a bunch of Cantillon and other lambics cellaring).

That liquor store is Premier Gourmet in the Buffalo area. Over 1500 different types of beer according to their website.

Like great beer (it's such a big scene) I'd also suggest trying the Paper Plane cocktail I posted in the cocktail thread. It' requires a very rare Amaro product, specifically Amaro Nonino Quintessentia, similar to Campari but different. This product is commonly available at the LCBO in the GTA, but so rare outside of ON. And what a great cocktail, a new modern classic and award winning drink.

I'm enjoying another great strong dark Belgian ale that we're lucky to find reasonably available, Delerium Nocturnum.
Delirium-Nocturnum-2-225x300.jpg

Cheers

Last edited:
I love Delirium, but it’s been years since I had the Nocturnum. When I first had it, I was also drinking Gulden Draak pretty frequently. Visiting Westvleteren has been on my to do list for a while, but I had to settle for getting a black market 12 a while back in Brussels (before the release here for renovation fund-raising).
Today I visited the Hill Farmstead brewery and the Alchemist, both in Vermont. Hill Farmstead was pretty great, though a bit out of the way. We got there shortly after it opened and it was already pretty full, mainly with people from Quebec, Connecticut, New York, and Massachusetts. As expected, the IPAs were great, but my favourite was a barrel-aged saison. Definitely worth making the trek (or pilgrimage)!
jvnje81.jpg

Nice.

Cheers,
Rob

You can buy it online but it’s a nuts price, plus shipping and duty will add to the $20 a bottle price. Westvleterenshop.com or something like that.

Spencer belgian ales are pretty good US products and I think they are the only US abbey ales recognized. The local LCBO sells a couple of different ones at a more reasonable $3.50 a bottle or so.

Right now the LCBO sells a multipack of Belgian ales with some neat beers like Piraat (91% rating) in it that you don’t get at other times. It’s a 6 pack for $20 and it’s fantastic, always get a few multipacks at Xmas. Pretty sure there’s no beer in the pack under 8% alcohol.

I love Delirium, but it’s been years since I had the Nocturnum. When I first had it, I was also drinking Gulden Draak pretty frequently. Visiting Westvleteren has been on my to do list for a while, but I had to settle for getting a black market 12 a while back in Brussels (before the release here for renovation fund-raising).
Today I visited the Hill Farmstead brewery and the Alchemist, both in Vermont. Hill Farmstead was pretty great, though a bit out of the way. We got there shortly after it opened and it was already pretty full, mainly with people from Quebec, Connecticut, New York, and Massachusetts. As expected, the IPAs were great, but my favourite was a barrel-aged saison. Definitely worth making the trek (or pilgrimage)!
Nice! I really enjoy Saisons and barrel aged beer. Lucky and great.

I love Gulden Draak
in_love.gif
. Another Belgian strong dark ale which too has won a "best-in-world" beer award. It was easy to find some years in back in the GTA but has become really hard to find now (at least for me). Thankfully I have a 24 pack in my cellar; it's in the original case too for interesting pop culture. I'll enjoy a Gulden Draak sometime this winter and get a picture up. Gulden Draak is an amazing beer. Cheers.

Gulden Draak, WVXII and Delerium Nocturnum are also why I look for barleywine beers. Have you tried them? They're great too.

Cheers

It's great when Gulden Draak is available; I recommend always picking it up!

I've been in the craft beer scene near a few decades now and have found I can comfortably rotate my selection, keep stock and enjoy a great craft beer from the stored collection every week or so. I hope other craft fans are able to do the same
beer.gif

Keep the pictures up.

I opened another rare beer tonight... and it's my first try. Strong, bold, impressive. An imperial stout aged in bourbon barrels with a 91% rating from 222 reviews on Beer Advocate; this particular release is 15% abv. And like the back label mentions, it definitely reminds me of a barleywine (which is a great thing).

attachment.php

Front label details.
attachment.php

Back label details.
attachment.php

Strong Imperial stouts are great.

Have a great weekend.

Last edited:
Last night had the Town Brewing Pajama Pants sour dipa.

If you are a fan of Collective Arts Jam up the Mash, then you'll like this one.

8% of sour, tart, ipa goodness.

Then had the Little Beasts Plum Pie sour ale.
Was not a fan.
Had an odd, funky aroma that I just couldn't get past.

...Wife's brewery (CommonGood beer) also released their new Russian Imp Stout yesterday.
Its called Ushanka.

9.1% of malty, roasty, chocolatey deliciousness.

Prince Eddy's “Something Norwegian” a dry hopped sour started beer brewed to a traditional Norwegian style. Really excellent in a pint bottle. Not sour at all, well balanced and fresh. This brewery is doing some amazing things. Well worth a visit if you’re in Prince Edward county, it’s just outside Picton town.

Last night had the Town Brewing Pajama Pants sour dipa.

If you are a fan of Collective Arts Jam up the Mash, then you'll like this one.

8% of sour, tart, ipa goodness.

Then had the Little Beasts Plum Pie sour ale.
Was not a fan.
Had an odd, funky aroma that I just couldn't get past.

...Wife's brewery (CommonGood beer) also released their new Russian Imp Stout yesterday.
Its called Ushanka.

9.1% of malty, roasty, chocolatey deliciousness.

Can’t seem to get anything like this down our way. Would love to try it but the local stores concentrate their efforts elsewhere.

Been a rough week.Breaking out the "Through the Quad,10%" (just one) It's ok...i know you can't drown sorrow.That fucker knows how to swim.****,it could prolly swim across lake ontario!
kN6u2ap.jpg

Another one I can’t get. That looks delicious.

One of the Cowbell Renegade series, Oatmeal Vanilla Black Lager. Smooth, creamy and delicious. And yes, it’s a lager. IMG_0139.JPG

I've done well with Craft offerings from Innis and Gunn. So I keep going. Here's another.

Innis and Gunn Latitude and Longitude Series 001 Raspberry Barrel Aged Saison. I really enjoyed it as a saison fan. 4/5

attachment.php

attachment.php

I have high res pics but not a host for them yet.

Have a great pre-Christmas weekend.

I really enjoy this outstanding Canadian craft stout and it's inexpensively available at most LCBO's. St. Ambroise Oatmeal Stout. Let it warm up some for even smoother flavors with better integration. Try it if you can find it on tap. An inexpensive pour and a nice step up from the bottle. I fondly remember this on tap, in many ways it started me on the Craft/World beer scene so many years ago. Highly rated on Beer Advocate and highly recommended.

attachment.php

Back
Top Bottom