Craft Beer: What are you drinking now?? | Page 27 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Craft Beer: What are you drinking now??

Been renovating a house in Windsor... trying a few of the breweries down there...

"Brew" - their Maple beer is interesting. 1 of them is good enough, can't drink more. Overall tasty but sweet.
"Walkerville Brewery" - Absolutely *LOVE* their Road Block Doppelbock beer. Very flavourful with smooth aftertaste. High alcohol content too. Their "Scotch Ale" is fantastic, a proper Scotch ale with a nice smokey flavour. Higher alcohol content as well.

I had the omnipollo aniara raspberry apa on the weekend.
Hands down the BEST raspberry beer I've ever had.
Tart, a little sour and the color was incredible.

Also had the Bellwoods farmageddon with zinfandel grapes, and the morello cherry version.

The cherry was incredible.

Keeping it simple this weekend with a growler of King St Saison. I really like a stout now and then,but i don't know how you guys can get a taste for fruity beers.Yuck!
P4260087_zps1net3nfn.jpg

Nice beer! I love the lambics, sours and flanders styles. It took years for me to get interested in trying premium versions. Great beer.

I recently enjoyed another Barley wine beer with the poor weather. Highly recommended.
Black Bridge Brewery Barrel Aged Barley wine beer
'https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/37562/342105/

attachment.php

Last edited:
Tried a few Spencer beers now. Advertised as America’s first Trappist beer. Had a trippel and a quadruple reserve. The quadruple was the best but they still don’t match true Belgians. Beer advocate rates them pretty well but they just aren’t good enough for me when compared to true Belgian Trappist beers.

I have only tried the patersbier and the quad from Spencer. I thought the quad was the better of the two, but I agree, it doesn't really compare to something like the Chimay blue or St Bernardus Abt 12.

Off of Miggs' suggestion of the Aniara, I stopped by Brunswick Bierworks to grab a few cans.
Kf5wn5j.jpg

I also grabbed the Braupakt collaboration between Weihenstephan and Sierra Nevada. I don't think it's as good as the regular Weihenstephan wheat beer. The Braupakt was more bitter and was not as rich.
KdIkC8L.jpg

While in the area, I also stopped in at Muddy York. They had another version of their Working Hard NEIPA (Amarillo and Ekuanot this time). I wasn't as crazy about this one compared to the version with Centennial and Chinook.
TPWyp0R.jpg

I want that Delerium Tremens glass!

Ok, having an Eggenburg Dopplebock, an Austrian beer and it’s a bit odd. Usually I like dopplebocks but this one is a little too sweet. Not too bad otherwise but I think I’ll keep to the German ones.

Had the:

Lost Craft Eclipze milkshake IPA.
...this style needs to go away. Quickly.

Collective Arts Dry Hop passionfruit, peach, raspberry Sour.
Loved this one. Very juicy, very tart.

Bellwoods Motley Cru Sour Wild Ale. (2017)
Much better this time around vs. when it was fresh out.
2yrs in the bottle seems to have nicely balanced out the flavors.

Forgot to add...

Also scored a can of Evil Twin "Bigg As$ Money Stout" on a trip to the states.

This is a BIG beer @ 17.2% ABV.

The gimmick for this version in the series was that Jeppe and his crew threw a few hundred $1 bills, and whole pizzas into the boil.

None of those flavors were detectable in the final product.

It was shockingly balanced for such high alcohol. Lots of chocolate, raisin and malty goodness.

Shared the tall boy with 5 friends. Everyone enjoyed it.

Forgot to add...

Also scored a can of Evil Twin "Bigg As$ Money Stout" on a trip to the states.

This is a BIG beer @ 17.2% ABV.

The gimmick for this version in the series was that Jeppe and his crew threw a few hundred $1 bills, and whole pizzas into the boil.

None of those flavors were detectable in the final product.

It was shockingly balanced for such high alcohol. Lots of chocolate, raisin and malty goodness.

Shared the tall boy with 5 friends. Everyone enjoyed it.

How the heck do they get that to ferment to 17%?

I know a local brewery that, so the rumour goes, has a cooked chicken thrown into the brew.

How the heck do they get that to ferment to 17%?

I know a local brewery that, so the rumour goes, has a cooked chicken thrown into the brew.

Lots of sugar to keep the yeast fermenting!

If you want to see CRAZY abv, look up the BrewDog "Sink the Bismark".

I believe it was Evil Twin or BrewDog that also did a brew last year where they threw fried chicken, and biscuits into the boil.

The name of the beer escapes me atm, but there was a video of them on social media dumping the chicken into the kettles.

So much competition now in the craft beer game that people are getting crazy to keep the hype up for their breweries.

Evil Twin released a "cola" beer last week.
There's a vid of Jeppe pulling a can off the line and drinking it on ice with a straw ?

Here’s a piece by the brewer about brewing that beer: Filthy Money and Frozen Pizza Make Tasty Norwegian Beer

He mentioned having to add sugar instead of just relying on malts to get to that ABV, since the mash would get to dry. He also mentioned adding an enzyme. This would break down complex sugars from the malt that the yeast could otherwise not consume (like what people are doing now to make brut IPAs). They probably boiled longer too, to get rid of some more water.
Yeast would also be a challenge, since most ale yeasts won’t tolerate that environment. Jeppe’s brother makes a stout with similar ABV (Mikkeller Black). Pretty sure he uses ale yeast and champagne yeast to get it to ferment that high.

The Brew Dog beers were funny. The last one I heard of was the End of History, at 55% ABV (bottles inside taxidermy rodents, because of course). To get there, they would freeze the beer to like -40C and remove the ice.

Greene King Abbot Ale beer. A really good example of a balanced British ale. Not overly hopped, lovely amber colour and hints of caramel. Easy drinking and tasty.

Black IPA from Barncat Artisan Ales here in Cambridge. Super smooth and delicious. These guys do everything right.

IMG_1626.JPG

Nice looking beer, @robertv19! I’ve only had a few beers from Barncat and they’ve been consistently great. They’re on my list of places to visit if I ever find myself in Cambridge on a Friday or Saturday.

Nice beers and pictures
thumb_up.gif
!

I recently pulled a bottle of Belgian Trappist pale ale Orval from the cellar and put it in the fridge, with a production date of 2012. Another famous Belgian beer made by monks, what's not to like
smile.gif
. In my experience this beer really transforms a lot as it ages... and into an amazing beer. I also recently picked up some fresh Orval bottles to both sample and to cellar. Highly recommended.
beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/37/129/

When going through the cellared beers I saw one of my Aventinus bottles has a production date of 2009
wink.gif
. I have a good amount of beer cellaring; it allows me to be a little indulgent... and patient at the same time.

Cheers

Last edited:
Nice looking beer, @robertv19! I’ve only had a few beers from Barncat and they’ve been consistently great. They’re on my list of places to visit if I ever find myself in Cambridge on a Friday or Saturday.

Definitely worth the drive/ride @ljtenkor !
Matt and Jeremy work hard to make high quality, small batch beers.
Especially if you’re into IPAs and stouts.

I picked this up when I was there last night.
Image1556996102.393144.jpg

Aged in whiskey barrels and then transferred to port barrels for a total barrel aging time of 2 years.

Will be saved for a special occasion.

Rob

^^
That's a big lookin beer.
Def would be saving that for a special day.

All or Nothing brewhouse, Snooze You Lose honey brown ale. Really nice beer. Very well balanced again. I’m really impressed with this brewery from Oshawa, everything I’ve had from there has been good.

I'm in Dover DE this weekend and had a few gems...

Dogfish head 75, 90, and 120ipas.
Dogfish head Worldwide stout
Dogfish head Flesh & Blood IPA
Victory brewing Sour Monkey Ale
ClownShoes Josh the Guava King IIPA
Big Oyster Delaware Dreamsickle
Longtrail Blackberry Wheat pale ale
Dominion Brewing Millennium Barlywine

Back
Top Bottom