Craft Beer: What are you drinking now?? | Page 26 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Craft Beer: What are you drinking now??

Gonna have to keep an eye out for one of those.
Haven't spotted it in my local lcbos yet.

I had a Hellwoods (imperial stout) by Bellwoods Brewery the other day. It was extremely smooth and well-balanced, especially considering that it’s 10%. It almost felt too clean, since it wasn’t particularly roasty and booziness was nearly non-existent, even as it warmed up. I had thought about aging it, but with how smooth it was, there’s probably little benefit to doing that.
VjfRNsS.jpg

I liked Hellwoods. Lately I've been drinking some half-ass craft beer at Santur and Riverhead. It's not amazing stuff (well, I am partial to the Plumberry Sour @ Riverhead) but I like the atmosphere and I am friends with the owners of both. Our band has played at Santur and Rolf is a great keyboard player in his own right.

Have been buying some nice bottles here and there recently, but not much has really stood out except the usual Kentucky Bastard, Ubers etc. that are pretty mainstream now, despite being special in their own ways. The exception would be Dominion City's collaboration brews... they were all pretty great and really, really hard to drink without being stationary for the night with 8-11% ABV. :)

I liked Hellwoods. Lately I've been drinking some half-ass craft beer at Santur and Riverhead. It's not amazing stuff (well, I am partial to the Plumberry Sour @ Riverhead) but I like the atmosphere and I am friends with the owners of both. Our band has played at Santur and Rolf is a great keyboard player in his own right.

Have been buying some nice bottles here and there recently, but not much has really stood out except the usual Kentucky Bastard, Ubers etc. that are pretty mainstream now, despite being special in their own ways. The exception would be Dominion City's collaboration brews... they were all pretty great and really, really hard to drink without being stationary for the night with 8-11% ABV. :)

Santur has a great atmosphere but unless I was there on an off night the beer was not wonderful, maybe a touch above good amateur homebrew. I went to Riverhead a while back and it was ok but seemed pricey. Maybe I should head back.

They've had some ups and downs at Santur. Their American Pale Ale is not one of their ups, or at least it wasn't this weekend. I'm impressed with their Porter and I like their NE IPA well enough, as well as their Canadian PA. But they're young, I'm hopeful that they will break out of their lineup and offer some more interesting beers. They've been trying one every couple of weeks, so I'm hopeful.

FWIW I think someone else brewed a few of their beers in the past week or so. Their filtration system failed and so they weren't able to brew for a while - I can only assume that they've stepped out to some other brewer to get something to sell. AFAIK the filters were repaired last week.

I’ve been pretty impressed with most of the Dominion City beers that I’ve tried. I really like their Sunsplit IPA and also managed to get a couple cans of their Between Two Evils, which was really, really good.

Stone Ruination 2.0: I tend to like a lot of Stone beers, but find the ones that show up at the lcbo tend to be a bit pricey. This is a DIPA and was pretty well done, with a good balance of hops and malts
2cyIf4R.jpg

Schneider Aventinus (2018): I should have grabbed a few of these. Extremely smooth with a malty richness. No indication that it’s 12% ABV. I’m not crazy about other Schneider beers, but this one was really enjoyable.
8liYpff.jpg

Not a beer I had, but beer related: GTA home brew club had a bulk hop buy recently, so with some work friends I got 5.5 lbs of hops. These all got split into 2 oz portions and vacuum-packed, but not before stinking my place up.
OPfOgtl.jpg

Last edited:
Those hops look good!
Citra and Mosaic are my favorites

Those hops look good!
Citra and Mosaic are my favorites

Yeah, I picked up 1.5 lbs of Mosaic since it’s also my favourite hop and use it in every hoppy beer. Compared to Mosaic, I’m not as crazy about citra usually. We recently did a NEIPA and after the boil split the batch in 2 to ferment with different yeasts and do different dry-hopping. The one that got citra in the dry-hop was by far the better of the 2.

The Schneider Aventinus Dopplebock is one of my fave beers. A tad cheaper than the Eisbock too.

Recently had a bottle of “Bring out the imp”, a dark Scottish strong stout. Really nice. Very much enjoying these boozy stouts and porters. This one was very chocolatey.

The head brewer at my wife's work made a NEIPA on his 100L pilot system and did 2 dry hopping sessions using citra both times.
It came out fantastic.

IMG_1547.JPG

New triple IPA from Flying Monkees - Sparklepuff!
Smooth and easy drinking for 10.2%

^^^ you got some of the floaties batch. AKA the "Snow globe" IIIPA.

That is one really good beer. Does not taste like it's 10%+

@jc100 I grabbed a couple bottles of that Boulevard Whiskey Barrel Stout after your earlier post about it. In terms of other good, big boozy stouts I’ve gotten from the LCBO in the past year, New Holland’s Dragon’s Milk, Fuller’s Imperial Stout, and Great Divide’s Yeti come to mind. They’re all so smooth that they can be pretty lethal. First time I had the Yeti was in the US. I ended up blacking out and hitchhiking.

In the UK right now and they have a series of new releases from Guinness recipes of the past. Currently drinking a Guinness West Indies porter from a recipe from the 1800s. It’s a bottle beer, none of this draft can rubbish and it’s delicious. A slightly sweeter take on traditional Guinness without any of the iron like aftertaste. Very nice.

Also bought a bottle of Kwak from Belgium which is one of my favourite beers.

Off in search of some Okells cask ales tonight but that might be hard. It’s Manx ale and supposed to be quite good. I may have to head into Liverpool to get some. The hunt is just as fun anyway as there are plenty of other traditional hand pulled beers to be head in the local pubs. Theakstons Old Peculiar is one of my faves if I can find it. It’s a very dark, almost treacley beer from Yorkshire.

In the UK right now and they have a series of new releases from Guinness recipes of the past. Currently drinking a Guinness West Indies porter from a recipe from the 1800s. It’s a bottle beer, none of this draft can rubbish and it’s delicious. A slightly sweeter take on traditional Guinness without any of the iron like aftertaste. Very nice.

Also bought a bottle of Kwak from Belgium which is one of my favourite beers.

Off in search of some Okells cask ales tonight but that might be hard. It’s Manx ale and supposed to be quite good. I may have to head into Liverpool to get some. The hunt is just as fun anyway as there are plenty of other traditional hand pulled beers to be head in the local pubs. Theakstons Old Peculiar is one of my faves if I can find it. It’s a very dark, almost treacley beer from Yorkshire.

Old Peculiar is amazing stuff. I had it from a cask in a pub in York...The Old White Swan, I think.
Granite Brewing in Toronto has their take, called (oddly enough) Peculiar. It’s quite good too.

Cheers,

Rob

Three Ring Circus from Block3. A pale high alcohol beer created by the monks in Belgium."Sweet malt with slight biscuit and a light hop finish".(copied from the label...whatever!) It's 9% alc/vol. Good stuff.
P4200083_zpsvnsej8wy.jpg

Had the Omnipollo Aniara Raspberry/Lemonade APA.

It was phenomenal if you are a fan of tart fruit beers.

Found it on tap at The Vatican brew pub.

Back
Top Bottom