Coronavirus | Page 252 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Porter extended shutdown to July 29.

"Porter Airlines is deferring its resumption of flights until July 29, one month later than previously scheduled, due to ongoing COVID-19 travel restrictions. "
"Porter is waiving change and cancellation fees on all fares booked between today and July 29. "

Among the doom and gloom...some good news. Hope these guys push forward and get us home.

Always take these news items with a touch of caution....many of them are just to get some favour with granting agencies or drum up funding.

Always take these news items with a touch of caution....many of them are just to get some favour with granting agencies or drum up funding.
For sure, I've had my fair share in front of grant committees and research councils. However, the science behind it solid and thus the dash of optimism. As Dr Sidhu says, this is just one of many studies in this area and it's good to see it happening in our own backyard.

The issue with a synthetic antibody is....it’s synthetic. It may well set off an alternate response in a human body not accustomed to the presence of that entity. So plenty of these things work great in test tubes, put them in a mammalian body and a lot fail. I worked in a lab where we raised synthetic monoclonal antibodies for cocaine inactivation (for overdoses), activation of anti-cancer drugs and also to detect explosives. Detecting explosives works outside the body (swab) so that was ok.....the other projects (in vivo) fizzled.

Remember to say a thank you and sorry to all the monkeys that are going to buy it in the name of our science experiments.
afp_thailand_monkey_vaccine_23May20.jpg

Remember to say a thank you and sorry to all the monkeys that are going to buy it in the name of our science experiments.
afp_thailand_monkey_vaccine_23May20.jpg
I was positive I saw mink being used for tests on one vaccine the other day.

Unfortunately animal testing, as imperfect as it is (and it really is very imperfect) is the best we have right now.

The issue with a synthetic antibody is....it’s synthetic. It may well set off an alternate response in a human body not accustomed to the presence of that entity. So plenty of these things work great in test tubes, put them in a mammalian body and a lot fail. I worked in a lab where we raised synthetic monoclonal antibodies for cocaine inactivation (for overdoses), activation of anti-cancer drugs and also to detect explosives. Detecting explosives works outside the body (swab) so that was ok.....the other projects (in vivo) fizzled.
I'm not in bio sciences my man so I'll take your word for it. However, I do like the good doctor's optimism. Guess time will tell how the cookie crumbles.

I'm not in bio sciences my man so I'll take your word for it. However, I do like the good doctor's optimism. Guess time will tell how the cookie crumbles.

there’s plenty of antibody drugs about that Are/were successful, they are among the most expensive drugs on the market today....these drugs are keeping some pharmaceutical companies alive with their profits. We are talking many 1000s of dollars per pill/ injection. However, when the trials fail, they can do so spectacularly. One I remember from years ago sailed by all preliminary tests, then in late stage testing with humans most of the test volunteers developed multiple organ failures. Unlucky 13: Top Clinical Trial Failures of 2017

What's their burn rate?

Long-term care report from the military. It is ugly (as expected).

Most of the findings are not even slightly surprising for people with exposure to LTC homes.
  1. People wandering the halls even after diagnosis. It is very difficult to restrain patients. You need to specifically request for each patient and paperwork is huge. Physical restraint is a very hard thing to get authorized. Even people with broken hips normally don't qualify for physical restraints when they try to stand and fall down every few minutes.
  2. Not enough access to PPE/not changing PPE between rooms. Obviously correlated. Grossly underfunded system and there is no way they would have the required PPE stockpile to switch every 6 minutes for every employee.
  3. Residents calling for help for two hours without care. There are not nearly enough staff to deal with all of the patients. Also, many of the patients start calling for help five seconds after you leave the room, someone walking in for an audit doesn't know the history of each patient.
I'm not saying the system doesn't need change, but many of the things they highlighted may not be real issues and/or are rooted in lack of funding.

How many minutes of care does it take each day to "properly" attend to someone with no ability to do things for themselves. Dress, eat a few times, bathroom a few times, undress, bathe occasionally. A long-term care bed is about $125 a day. That is room, board and care. The math just doesn't work (regardless of profit/non-profit). As for the profit homes being worse, Revera is owned by the Public Sector Pension Investment Fund. Do you think active members of the public sector will chop the legs out of billions of dollars of their pension?

EDIT:
The only way I see forward that is remotely financially viable needs some component of survival of the fittest. Medically, we can keep people alive for many years who are entirely unable to care for themselves and have no quality of life (many cry every morning as they haven't died yet). As a minimum MAID needs to dramatically expand it's eligible scope so people can decide when it is time for them to go. Doing everything we can to keep everyone alive even when their lives are terrible is not going to work anymore.

EDIT 2:
Rivera BOD is appointed by JT himself. Gold. That is why he was so upset by this report. His spin machine will be at full steam.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I can see nursing homes being brought under provincial ownership and control in the years ahead. The "For Profit" model is broken due to the very nature of being FOR PROFIT. If someone can put an extra $25K in their pocket every year in bonuses by putting the fear of unemployment into their staff for using too many things like N95's, well, they'll do it. That curtain has been pulled wide open now.

It's been my experience based on family who worked in the for profit industry as well as various family members in both for profit and municipally run homes, the latter are far nicer.

I can see nursing homes being brought under provincial ownership and control in the years ahead. The "For Profit" model is broken due to the very nature of being FOR PROFIT. If someone can put an extra $25K in their pocket every year in bonuses by putting the fear of unemployment into their staff for using too many things like N95's, well, they'll do it. That curtain has been pulled wide open now.

It's been my experience based on family who worked in the for profit industry as well as various family members in both for profit and municipally run homes, the latter are far nicer.
I agree. I was surprised that the largest "for-profit" owner was actually a crown corporation. Seems like a very messy arrangement.

Not all privately owned homes are bad. My late father in law lived the last 7 years at a place in Kitchener that was awesome. They had 24/7 nursing staff. Great food and activities for the approx 90 residents. Over those 7 years they had 2 quarantine situations due to stomach flu outbreaks. All meals in their rooms for two weeks and no visitors. No casualties.
It wasn't the fanciest place, but the staff cared, and it showed.$3700/month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom