Copy of the M Test (M2X) checklist! | Page 43 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Copy of the M Test (M2X) checklist!

Hey All,

I'm taking my m2 exit next week at the Richmond Hill location (has anyone done it here? I believe it's the previous Aurora location that's now moved) and need clarification.

Specifically the avoid obstacle part. Does it mean we have to avoid pot holes or just a random obstacle in our lane? I'm confused whether they ding you for swerving or for just going straight through a manhole.

maybe you can attempt to avoid it but be careful of oyur surrounding and do not make sudden movements... So if you see it far away, start positioning yourself, and not make yourself look 'erratic'.. GLHF it's very easy

I wouldn't worry much about avoiding the obstacles. You can ride on man covers, etc. If you see a pot hole just don't run through it and try not to make sudden moves during the test.

Tips:
1. Head on a swivel, check blind spot while changing lanes AND while scanning - I got dinged on not checking all the time
2. You'll enter the highway, merge, change to middle lane, change back, and get off - use brakes to engage brake light
3. Scan scan scan scan - intersections, mall entrances, driveways, side streets, etc. - make your scanning noticeable so just not the eyes, full head so helmet turns and they can see it
4. I recommend an ear plug in one ear, and their speaker in the other so you can isolate it
5. Always stay in the proper defensive position
6. Emergency stop is easy - signal, check, pull over, neutral, kickstand down, get off, and reverse - I didn't have to get off the bike

In all honesty it's very easy and any reasonable / competent rider will be able to get this done with no issues.

Good luck.

flash breaklight at exit of roadside stop?
Exiting highway. Like a head's up that you will be slowing down

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Exiting highway. Like a head's up that you will be slowing down

right, engine breaking is not allowed anyway though right? so you have to brake and therefore activate the light? just looking for clarification. booking test soon. checklist on page 1 is gone.

right, engine breaking is not allowed anyway though right? so you have to brake and therefore activate the light? just looking for clarification. booking test soon. checklist on page 1 is gone.
Yes.
But do a couple quick taps of the brakes to kinda flash the lights. It's like an attention getter for people behind that might not notice that you are slowing down. I use this in my everyday riding.

Yes.
But do a couple quick taps of the brakes to kinda flash the lights. It's like an attention getter for people behind that might not notice that you are slowing down. I use this in my everyday riding.

These are the kind of distinctions that never really get explored thoroughly in a "how do i pass the test?" thread. There is nothing wrong with engine braking. It is most definitely "allowed". You have to remember that any time you start to slow down, you must communicate that to the drivers/riders behind you. The most effective way to do that is to show the brake light. You may not really need much braking power, but you have to make the light come on. I keep the switch on my rear brake adjusted so it takes very little pedal pressure to turn on the light. That way, even I'm just rolling off the throttle, a little pressure allow me to signal to the traffic behind me without actually applying the brakes. Then I can continue slowing/downshifting and apply the brakes when I actually need them near the end of the stop.

Does this link work for you?

Ontario M2-Exit example test

Thanks Blackfin for getting this back up. I forgot all about the page and my original host shutdown my site.

Is that test as good as it appears to be? Only 6 errors, and 66.7% of them were (likely) for going to slow? Well done.

Lol, yes, that was my actual test. I did my best but didn't want to tell the examiner I was running a modded sprocket setup and couldn't tell how fast I was really going.

Last edited:
Did my M2 exit yesterday at Oshawa PASSED, very easy, different Route then the video back a few pages 7 mistakes all shoulder check guess the didn't see me move my head examiner was super nice. explained things clearly could hear all instructions well

Passed today in Hamilton in sweltering conditions. Thanks to everyone posting in this thread, very helpful info. I'll just add my experience, while trying to not repeat what was reinforced throughout.

1. The gentleman who tested me was very clear about the expectations, he answered all my questions even before having the chance to ask them. He was very reasonable. Couple important points - he mentioned nobody failed because of speeding when merging on the highway, as long as you come down to legal speed after merging. He also clarified the roadside stop, saying that I will need to get off the bike.

2. The highway route and the exit was radioed to me, as well as the need to move over a lane and back, when safe, before the entry ramp, he kept it quiet during the highway as he probably knew that the wind noise will make it difficult.

3. The things I got penalized for were for not looking - couple blind spots, couple LRL and not looking at hazards in the business area. So yeah, did anybody say head on a swivel? I also got a 'over the line'....I never went over the line when stopped, at any point, it must have been the angle they were observing me, as I do stop quite close to the lines all the time. Oh, I have also drifted to the right tire track once - cursed at myself loud in the helmet and corrected it but got dinged for it. Fair enough.

4. On Kenora, road is terrible. I have avoided all the potholes and sunken manholes. On the rest of the course I have avoided all cracks, bumps, potholes, manholes etc. If that involved changing the tire track, I just made sure I looked around me before moving. Did not get any penalty point for this. YMMV.

5. When on the curved ramps towards the highway I did not stay in any particular track ('apexed' - involuntarily), but I moved to the left track when the ramp straightened, just before signalling. All was good.

6. Radio transmission was excellent, I only had to tap my helmet once. All instructions were clear and repeated well ahead. No issues here. No need to tape the headphone to my head :). I had a plug in the other ear, because Akrapovic with no baffle lol. All worked great, but it felt weird all plugged up like that. We tested the earpiece without and with the helmet and the nice gentleman helped me route the wire to allow for head movement.

All in all, the experience was very positive. Excellent, professional service, fair marking. Very happy with the outcome. Oh and while he kept it all professional at all times, he did check my bike out and cracked a thin smile while going around it. Nice.

Congrats @Manuel and nice write up.

Sent from my custom purple Joe Bass mobile device using Tapatalk

Congrats @Manuel and nice write up.

Sent from my custom purple Joe Bass mobile device using Tapatalk

thanks! I hope it helps answering some of the questions out there.

what a relief! Of course, in hindsight it felt it was very easy, but it is a stressful exercise...:headbang:

Passed at Downsview today, almost the same route as described in the thread before (Sheppard east, to Allen south, to 401 west, to Keele north, to residential loop, back to Keele north, to Sheppard east). The test is very straightforward, if you simply follow the handbook and info in this thread. So is the person examining you, so just try to stay calm and ask them all the questions you may have prior to exam. I was way too nervous for what it turned out to be. The only slightly 'tricky' part is on 401 west, if you remain in the right lane you're supposed to change your blocking position from left tire track to right one before a new merging lane appears on your right.

My examiner emphasized the importance of riding with the flow of traffic, and I underestimated that - got few marks down for going too slow. Some more for signal left on too long, no shoulder check while changing tire tracks (a car was heading towards me in my lane, passing garbage truck) and not checking road hazard - looking into side streets and driveways, so keep your head moving all the time. 9 down, but it's a pass:) If anything, I'd say there is quite a bit of room for error in this test, so don't worry.

Other tips - full face helmet if you want to hear the instructions clearly, and a simple ear plug in the other ear to muffle the noise. Be extra polite and nice to the examiner and likely they will return the favor:) Best of luck!

Passed at Downsview in August. Weather was scorching hot but made for great visibility. Heat made me a little inattentive though. Examiner was reasonable and approachable. Read this whole thread, practiced riding in the area and the potential routes. Got 8 makrs off: 3x not putting left foot up fast enough, 2x improper right turn, 1x wrong tire track, 1x failed to observe hazard. I didn't agree with all of it but wasn't going to complain. My two cents: take your time and when setting up at the beginning, get comfortable- don't rush anything while riding.

Examiner: Do you have any problem going on the highway today?
Me, pausing to think about all the high speed riding in the past: Uh, no.

I just did my M test yesterday at Brampton location and I passed :)

thanks everyone for your tips. I was riding for 2 years.

Let me know if anyone is interested in tips @Brampton location. I can definitely share my experience.

This essay might go better here:

Here's everything I can remember. Let me know if I've missed anything.

You go through three sections. Residential, Business, Highway.

Tire track
One lane, Left tire track. Two or more lanes, Left tire track of rightmost lane. This is the normal position.
Middle lane. Either tire track.
If you're turning left, passing, or told to move to the left lane. Right tire track.

Head movement
It's best to know why you're moving your head, rather than relying on lots of random head movement, which can make you dizzy.

Everything begins and ends with a mirror check.
You might want to tip your mirrors out a little, so that you have to your head, and not just your eyes.

You're looking for/at hazards, laneways, onramps etc.

Lane change
Mirror check, Signal, Blind spot check, Move, Cancel signal, Mirror check.
If you can't get in, you cancel your signal, adjust, and then start the sequence over.
If a new lane opens up and you get in before the dotted lines, then you don't need to signal.

Intersections
Through Intersection: Mirror check, Look Left, Look Right, (Look Left <- this one is optional, but you need it everywhere else, so . . .) , Pass through intersection, Mirror Check.
Stop Intersection: Stop, Mirror check, Look around you, be aware of what's going on, As the opposing light turns amber or red, Mirror check, Left, Right, Left, Proceed through on green, Mirror check. Brake light must be on at all times, while stopped.

Left turn no stop: Mirror check, Signal, Left, Right, Left, Blindspot, Turn, Cancel Signal, Mirror check. Don't cross over the lines unless it's an obvious painting mistake.
Left turn stop: Mirror check, signal, stop behind the white line, A plum bob from the front of your tire should be behind the line, Mirror check, Left, Right, Left, Blindspot check, Turn, Cancel Signal, Mirror check.
If you pull forward and stop again, you need to repeat the L-R-L-Blindspot. You can't stop on the pedestrian crossing; you're either before it, or after it.
Left tire track to left tire track on one lane. Right tire track to right tire track on multi lanes, then lane change right.

Right turn no stop: Mirror check, Signal, Left, Right, Left, Blindspot, Turn, Cancel Signal, Mirror check. Don't apex.
Right turn stop: Mirror check, signal, Stay left most of the way to the line, then angle the bike to the right to prevent cars cutting inside you, stop behind the white line, Mirror check, Left, Right, Left, Blindspot check, Turn, Cancel Signal, Mirror check.
Left tire track to left tire track.

Residential Area
Speed limit will be lower, 40 here, might be 30 some places.
One lane, left tire track normally.

There will be blind corners, where you need to move to the outside, until you can see around the corner, and then move back.

There will be specific hazards (3?), usually designated by signs, children playing, paths coming out, a playground, school, field, or an old age home, firehall etc. You need to turn and look at those hazards. Since you don't know which three, you should look at all potential hazards.

Business Area
Speed limit will be higher, 60 here.
Multi lane. May have a Boulevard between oncoming lanes.

There will be a couple of specific hazards (3?) that you need to recognize and look towards.
Things like funeral parlours, graveyards, Tim Horton's, Strip Mall entrances, etc. may be those things. If there's a boulevard between, then lots of looks to the right, some left. Otherwise, look both ways.

At some point you'll be asked to make a lane change to the left, and back to the right, when it's safe to do so. Sometimes there might be someone passing you in your blindspot when you're asked. Mirror check. Signal. Blindspot. Move left tire track of right lane to right tire track of left lane. Cancel signal. Mirror check. Drive a second or two. Mirror check. Signal. Blindspot. Move back to left tire track of right lane. Cancel Signal. Mirror check.

There will be places where you make a left turn and then need to get over to the right, which you should be doing anyways, unless instructed otherwise.

Roadside Stop
Might be in a no parking zone, but shouldn't be in a no stopping zone. Don't rush it. Mirror check. Signal. Blindspot check. Pull over to the right, but not blocking any laneways or fire hydrants, and stop. Fourways on if you have them. Sidestand down. Neutral, or off. Off the bike. When told to proceed. Sidestand up (don't want to do Bat turns), Start bike if it needs it. Fourways off. Mirror check. Signal Left. Blindspot. Pull immediately out to left tire track. Cancel Signal. Mirror check.

Highway
On ramp that enters on the right. Mirror check. Signal. Blindspot check. Enter onramp. Cancel Signal. Mirror check. Either tire track. I stay left. Be smooth. Before the yellow line turns white, your signal should be on. Look left and pick an opening in the traffic. Accelerate to traffic speed. Mirror check. Blindspot check. Move into the opening right to the left tire track of the right lane. Cancel Signal. Mirror check. Check speed is near the speed limit. (Some examiners may be more strict about the speed limit than others, but I find it easier to accelerate to traffic speed, and then back off to the limit, once I'm in).

At some point you'll be asked to make a lane change to the left, and back to the right, when it's safe to do so.
Sometimes there might be someone passing you in your blindspot when you're asked. Mirror check. Signal. Blindspot. Move left tire track of right lane to right tire track of left lane. Cancel signal. Mirror check. Drive a second or two. Mirror check. Signal. Blindspot. Move back to left tire track of right lane. Cancel Signal. Mirror check.

Offramp that exits to the right. Line on the right side will turn double thick. At that point begin your mirror check, signal sequence, blindspot, pull into the offramp lane, as soon as the dotted lines start, a couple of gentle squeezes on the brake lever before you get to the bullnose, whether you're braking or not (rear brake might not be adjusted to show brake light, unless you push it pretty hard, front brake is usually better, but make sure you're not leaned over and slamming it on), cancel signal. Proceed in the direction instructed.

Notes:
Don't worry too much about mistakes, but correct them on the next sequence. You're not being tested 100% of the time.
Tape the earphone in. Surgical tape works best.
Don't worry about the examiner vehicle, ride your own ride. They will try and keep up. If they can't, they'll tell you what to do on the radio.
Touching another vehicle, dropping the bike, or cutting in, so that someone behind has to brake hard, running red lights, etc. can fail you right away.
Don't cross solid white lines.
If there's nothing coming and you wait too long to turn right at a traffic light, you can be marked.
Brake light must be on at all times when stopped at a traffic light.
Try to get some riding in prior to the test, on the bike you are testing on. Any of the examiners that ride, can easily tell who hasn't ridden in 4 years & 9 months.
Shifting in an intersection, can be marked. If you really need to, do it smoothly, so they don't notice.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom