Copy of the M Test (M2X) checklist! | Page 37 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Copy of the M Test (M2X) checklist!

what route freaked you out, if you did the M2 exit in burlington, i would really appreciate the route they take, that's if you know obviously, sincerely, John.

I did mine in Downsview on Wednesday and passed. 11 marks off. I couldn't hear his instructions because the ear piece wasn't working properly. Had to pull over after the highway and get them to fix it. But basically everything on this thread is what you need for the test. Good luck to everyone. He told me the route before hand so I didn't really need to hear him for half the course. He made me to lots of lane changes after they fixed the earpiece because I didn't do one on the highway because I couldn't hear him. I kept tapping my helmet to make sure he knew I couldn't hear him.

Hi my name is John, i am taking my M2 exit in burlington next week, am very uptight, i know your original post was from 2012, would you kindly know if the route is still the same in burlington, ex: left on industry st, left on stanley, right on mountainside etc: please reply. thanx so much.

Hi my name is John, i am taking my M2 exit in burlington next week, am very uptight, i know your original post was from 2012, would you kindly know if the route is still the same in burlington, ex: left on industry st, left on stanley, right on mountainside etc: please reply. thanx so much.
you're focusing so much on the route, you won't be able to see a parked car infront of you.

If your concerned about making a wrong turn... don't. you can explain why after, and if it's reasonable, that's ok
If your concerned about not hearing the instructor... don't. you can always pull over and tell them you can't hear the instructions. They will follow you into a parking lot, or if you pull over onto a side street.
If your concerned about not knowing the roads.... don't. If you can't ride on a new road, and adapt to it's characteristics, you wouldn't of received your m2 in the first place.

Go for a ride. When a intersection comes up and you want a change from ridding straight... look at your rpm, odd turn left, even turn right.
After an hour of random riding you should be lost. Bring a road map with you, and find a random spot that's about 10 km away from where you are. Then pick a route to that spot and try to memorize it. Then go to that spot using the route in your head.

After ridding 10km if you don't get to that spot via your memory, that's ok. Just pull over, look at your map, and pick a new route. This exercise, will help you memorize routes faster and easier, so when drivetest gives you instructions, it'll be easier to remember. This exercise will also help you be comfortable on new roads, and changes will become fun as oppose to stressful.

-just make sure you have gas in your tank before you start.

If something happens on your m2exit (traffic/construction), the testers will change the route. If you're comfortable with random roads, and changes, you'll be fine.

Last edited:
John, I couldn't hear and just pulled over and they fixed my ear piece. People freak out over the exam for no reason. Follow what is said in this thread and you'll do fine. The majority of thing they ask you to do on the test (shoulder checks, mirrors checks, looking both ways when going into an intersection) are all safety things you should be doing anyways for your own safety.

If you put both feet down, you lose a point. Rigth foot on rear brake any time your stopped.
This is incorrect, or at least an incorrect interpretation and application of the requirements in the official marking guide.
Instructors will teach you to sit with the right foot up on the brake and left foot down, bike in gear, clutch in. In CSC lingo, this is the "ready position".
As far as the examiner is concerned, it's only the brake light that matters, not the brake. So if you put both feet down and use the front brake to keep the light on, there's no error.

Passed the M2X in Burlington today. I was terribly anxious and couldn't really hear the instructions very well.

Thankfully the examiner was pretty cool. To the guy at 12:15, sweet bike... Hope it went well for you.

PRO TIP:

Turn off your GPS! I have a GPS mounted to my bike and I heard "RECALCULATING, MAKE A U-TURN, TURN LEFT" Throughout the ENTIRE test. Needless to say, the examination felt like a complete gong-show but I passed.

I noticed on the test posted it says look LEFT RIGHT LEFT. Does this mean we literally have to move our heads LRL every time? I can see look left and right but why left again? Seems strange?

I passed in Aurora last Thurs. Put it off for a year and finally got around to doing it.

Wasn't really nervous, figured after all this riding it would be easy and in all honesty it was.

I did almost no prep before hand... Just skimmed the handbook to see what I would be doing and skimmed over the checklist on this site to see what the guy would be looking for. Maybe like 30 mins of prep? I didn't know the route or anything like that.

I couldn't hear the instruction while on the highway. Prior to the test he just told me to do 2 lane changes while on the highway and then exit at the first exit so that's what I did. Once I was off the highway I could hear him again no problem.

I did have to correct a few riding mistakes specifically for this test. I had to make sure to plant my foot whenever I came to a complete stop instead of dragging. I had to look (look = turn your head in an obvious way) at every single driveway as I was riding, this becomes especially important when you get to the residential because there are a lot of them. I also had to remember to always have my foot on the break whenever I was stopped (just have brake light on basically). Just make your head movements really obvious, especially when coming to an intersection.

I actually had a perfect test aside from 3 mistakes. I had 2 mistakes where it said "uneven/avoid obstacle" I had both boxes checked with an underline under the word "uneven." To my knowledge I avoided every pot hole and deep manhole so there was no obstacle... I'm not exactly sure, perhaps I was on uneven road but I don't know how to avoid a completely uneven road? I didn't bother asking because I passed and I could care less. My only other mistake was for not looking at a hazard, I think I forgot to look at the fire station that was to the left at some point while I was in the residential.

Overall, it was easy peasy there is no reason to be nervous... Hardest part for me was just staying within speed limit, seeing that long *** line of cars behind us (some honking at the examiner) as we were cruising at the speed limit was funny.

Last edited:
When you guys did your tests, did you wear running shoes? I know when you do the M course they want leather shoes covering your ankle. I just ride with runners. Are the ministry guys picky?

Another silly question, when parked at the ministry in a parking spot, are we supposed to walk the bike in reverse out of a parking spot or can we sit on the bike and walk it out with our feet while seated? I'll probably reverse into my parking spot so I can just pull out but just in case I forget what is the correct thing to do?

I noticed on the test posted it says look LEFT RIGHT LEFT. Does this mean we literally have to move our heads LRL every time? I can see look left and right but why left again? Seems strange?

This is why considering the test sheet (Record of M2 Exit Examination) as a "checklist" isn't always advisable. Generally, a "left-right-left" is the best approach because traffic is approaching from your left, and causes the earliest and greatest threat. If the intersection was with a one way street with traffic approaching from the right, I would suggest the opposite would be more appropriate. What the examiner is looking for however, is that your head moves to indicate you looking at all. Again, it's far better to learn the principles behind the training and testing than it is to memorize a checklist.

Hey guys, I got my test at downs view in a few weeks. Got 2 questions.

1. I ride a 250cc so when I'm approaching a red light I'm usually in gear 6. As I'm braking I just downshift all the way to 1 and come to complete stop, is that fine?
2. Say I'm making a left turn and there is a car in front of me. Naturally I will stay behind the white line and wait, but if he makes the left and now it's my turn. Would I be able to duck walk it up? Or should I put both feet on the pegs, accelerate bit then feet down again?

thanks

Use the rear brake and keep the rpm's up while feathering the clutch in order to ride slow. keep the clutch just at the start of the friction zone.

have you learned that trick? you should never have to duck walk, unless your backing up. :/

Hey guys, I got my test at downs view in a few weeks. Got 2 questions.

1. I ride a 250cc so when I'm approaching a red light I'm usually in gear 6. As I'm braking I just downshift all the way to 1 and come to complete stop, is that fine?
2. Say I'm making a left turn and there is a car in front of me. Naturally I will stay behind the white line and wait, but if he makes the left and now it's my turn. Would I be able to duck walk it up? Or should I put both feet on the pegs, accelerate bit then feet down again?

thanks
dasiffy is right about the technique for moving up - the important thing if you're moving slowly like that is that you have to be in control. If you're wobbling around to keep from putting your foot down, that's an error. If you're not confident at super low speeds. Simply move up from behind the line to the point at which you're going to wait in the intersection. Make sure your brake light is on while you're sitting there.

As for the approach, I wouldn't downshift to first. I would downshift gradually to second, then come to a stop - tapping into first while the clutch is in for the stop. Again, what's important is that your brake light is visible when you first slow down.

A huge thanks to all that contributed to this thread. I got my M in Brampton this week.

A point to note during my test. I was on a road with two lanes approaching an intersection and a bus stopped past the the traffic lights leaving only a 2-3 car lengths behind it. I cleared the intersection and stopped behind the bus. Then I heard over the radio, “you saw the bus, you should have prepared for that” - that as my cue to change lanes. I got docked for ‘avoid obstacle’ for that on the scoresheet.

Got my full M yesterday in Downsview, try not too book during the rush hour, mine was at 1 and it was good.
The examiner was a great guy and very clear with his instructions of the headset, the headset was very clear and load I had zero issues hearing the guy, as recommended in the thread, I had an earplug in one of my ears, but it seems I would've been fine without.

I only had two mistake, my buddy that went after me, failed, he had improperly merged on to 401 from the Allen onramps.

I've read almost this entire thread, some of it kind of quick. Didn't see this question addressed, so here goes. In the course, they had us check behind to the right and to the left every time we stopped, and again when we took off off from a stop. Is this required in the M2 Exit test? I check my mirrors all the time when I'm stopping, but I don't make exageratted head movements. Is it required?

I've read almost this entire thread, some of it kind of quick. Didn't see this question addressed, so here goes. In the course, they had us check behind to the right and to the left every time we stopped, and again when we took off off from a stop. Is this required in the M2 Exit test? I check my mirrors all the time when I'm stopping, but I don't make exageratted head movements. Is it required?

Haven't done mine yet, but from what I've seen in this thread, yes. L-R-L, and exaggerated so that they don't think that you are not doing it.

I'm actually kinda nervous myself.

Anyone have a recommendation on if I should just do the M2x with the ministry, or should I do the Humber M2x course?

Back
Top Bottom