Cops Are Also Watching "WAZE" The App | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Cops Are Also Watching "WAZE" The App

Can you be held accountable if another cop sees you flashing the beams to warn other motorists?
Reason I ask is down the street where I live, cops team up: one is placed down the hill while the other all the way up as they snag speeders.
I think technically yes. There is some HTA law that can be used against it. But it's one of those things that would be hard to prove that that was your intentions.
You could have just accidentally flashed your high beams while trying to activate your turn signal.

Can you be held accountable if another cop sees you flashing the beams to warn other motorists?
Reason I ask is down the street where I live, cops team up: one is placed down the hill while the other all the way up as they snag speeders.
There was a newspaper article years ago exposing this dirty tactic. Kenzie crossing the bloor viaduct IIRC. Hit him with improper use of headlights. Beat it in court as it was daytime and flashing his high beams was not a safety issue. It it was evening or night, the ticket might stick.

I was flashing the beams at a bunch of oncoming cars once, one was an unmarked police car. He pulled a u turn and pulled me over, had a few stern words for me but let me go with a warning.

I was flashing the beams at a bunch of oncoming cars once, one was an unmarked police car. He pulled a u turn and pulled me over, had a few stern words for me but let me go with a warning.

I’ve had the same thing happen to me. He was pretty ******. The way I see it, is me flashing my headlights at someone who then slows down is having the desired effect. Except for the obvious lack of revenue and not getting his quota. ?

Why would a cop give you a ticket or punish you for flashing your lights at cars to slow down? The police always announce on electronic billboards on the highways that speeding kills, I am doing the same thing they are doing, telling fellow motorists to slow down.

Don't be afraid of cops, you will beat the silly ticket.

Case law is clear that the LEO's can't ticket for flashing highbeams to alert others of their presence.

Tickets have been issued under various HTA statutues for that and all were thrown out. The police aren't dummies and know well enough that issuing any further tickets will not be looked upon well by the crown, so they don't do it anymore.

They might still pull you over and give you a stern talking to and maybe try to nail you with a fix it ticket for something else, but even that is unlikely.

Why would a cop give you a ticket or punish you for flashing your lights at cars to slow down? The police always announce on electronic billboards on the highways that speeding kills, I am doing the same thing they are doing, telling fellow motorists to slow down.

Don't be afraid of cops, you will beat the silly ticket.
Most cops dont like anyone that shines a spotlight on their activities. Between that and the heat from above to fill the quotas (that don't exist, wink wink nudge nudge) you get stopped for telling others where they are hiding.

The police dont control the billboards, the politicians do (well staff whose future is governed by politicians).

I stopped flashing my headlights a long time ago. Seemed that when I did it I got the finger more often than not because people just had no f'ing clue what I was trying to signal. With the bike I put my hand on my head with a fist and most riders know what's going on. I've also had more people warn me of cops ahead when riding the bike, then ever in a car.

Outed one of Halton's finest on the app hiding in the fir trees at the entrance of Gates of Heaven cemetery yesterday. Shoulda really made himself more useful and been down at Spencer Smith park not writing tickets to people not social distancing.

cops are also watching facebook and other social media. years ago my friends posted photos of them doing a watercrossing a small river on snowmobiles in a small town up north. The next week they got pulled over on a trail by the OPP and were told what they were doing was illegal and not to be doing that.

Maybe governments will soon start banning these apps :(

" It is now illegal to use a GPS’s speed camera feature on German roads. According to MoreBikes, if caught violating the law, a road user can be fined up to €75 ($82).

Just how the police will be able to tell if you are using the feature is not clear. Other than asking you or seizing the unit and checking the GPS’s settings, they likely won’t know. However, it is still illegal to use the alerts."

Maybe governments will soon start banning these apps :(

" It is now illegal to use a GPS’s speed camera feature on German roads. According to MoreBikes, if caught violating the law, a road user can be fined up to €75 ($82).

Just how the police will be able to tell if you are using the feature is not clear. Other than asking you or seizing the unit and checking the GPS’s settings, they likely won’t know. However, it is still illegal to use the alerts."
You are impairing their income (oh, sorry, I mean public safety), I am not surprised. Hopefully app developers are smart enough to incorporate cop mode (like old-school boss mode on computer games). Press one button and all settings snap to pre-determined settings.

Case law is clear that the LEO's can't ticket for flashing highbeams to alert others of their presence.

I got a ticket in 1979 for “Misuse of Headlights” for flashing a car that was speeding toward a radar trap. Cop did a u-turn and nailed me.
I was 18 at the time. Did my reasearch, went to court and had the charges dropped. I did a fist pump and yelled “Yes!” In front of the judge!

Back
Top Bottom