Cool weather sleeping bag suggestions (and sleep pad) | GTAMotorcycle.com

Cool weather sleeping bag suggestions (and sleep pad)

timtune

Site Supporter
I literally had to pull out the tinfoil blanket last Sept up north. So it's time for a better bag. Looks like I need real down and am likely to spend 300-350$. Any thing to watch for?

Also while having the first recon at Sail I started looking at sleep pads. Wow. Now I'm thinking about an inflatable instead of the self inflating. Watched him fill it with about 6 bags of air in about 2-3 minutes and it was more than twice as thick as my thermorest and packed smaller. Thoughts?

I just picked up a klymit insulated double v

Hopefully I’ll get to try it out this yr.

details? down? mummy? cost?

Inflatable mattress all the way. I have a Thermarest Neoair camper XL long. Waaaaaaay more comfortable than any self-inflating mat I've tried and as a bonus, it packs down to smaller than a 1L nalgene bottle. I like it so much I got a double wide (48"x78"x3.5") Chinese knock-off on Amazon for $100 last year. Pure luxury. Add in the Klymit inflatable pillow that packs down to the size of a bar of soap and I'm out cold all night long. BTW, many inflatable mattresses come with an inflation bag. Takes a bit longer than blowing it up directly, but also prevents getting all light-headed (which may be a pro or a con depending on your perspective).

As for the bag, I'm not much of a cold weather camper. I have my -10'C bag with a fleece liner and an emergency foil sheet when required.

As for the bag, I'm not much of a cold weather camper. I have my -10'C bag with a fleece liner and an emergency foil sheet when required.
It's the tin foil sheet I'm trying to avoid. Does the neoair have the inflation bag?

Natural down is much warmer than synthetic, the only downside is if it gets wet, it takes forever to dry. Also down is more expensive, but you get what you pay for.

We also found out that if a bag is rated for 0°C, that's the temperature at which you won't die of hypothermia, but you'll still feel cold. If you are camping at 0°C, then get a bag rated for -7°C.

Mummies are great for closing the top around your head, where you generate the most heat. I've camped in -15°C and just left a small breathing hole around my mouth so I don't suffocate.

We use inflatable thermarests, they are great not just for comfort, but keeping your body off the cold ground, where you also lose a lot of heat as well.

Thanks LC What thermorest are using? Does it have the air bag?

I just noticed that it's considered self-inflating, even though you do have to top it off with a few breaths. Probably not as comfortable as a true inflating, but it does its job of keeping you off the ground.

Compactness was a criteria and this one rolls up super-small and takes up very little space in the panniers.

I just noticed that it's considered self-inflating, even though you do have to top it off with a few breaths. Probably not as comfortable as a true inflating, but it does its job of keeping you off the ground.

Compactness was a criteria and this one rolls up super-small and takes up very little space in the panniers.
I have two of these and they are perfect as you describe - getting the body off the cold ground.

I recently bought two new sleeping bags and they are "Hotcore R-200" and rated for -10degC. Perfect for the type of above freezing temps I would camp in. They also zip together so can be used for my wife and I when we are camping together. They aren't the tighter mummy style or made of down, but I find they are pretty warm on a cool night. They are also pretty compact and light for motocamping.

I have always used a thermarest and two medium duty sleeping bags.I just unzip the second one and lay it over top.

I think we have a pair of Swan dryfoot down bags from MEC with opposing zippers, so we could zip them together. They were always good. Rated to -15C I think. They don't make them anymore, which is just as well, as the dryfoot thing retained and magnified any foot odor. You can always unzip the bag if you're too warm. I thought that air mattresses allowed the warmth to leave your body more than the self inflating pads? Has that changed or was it a lie?

If space is an issue, add a compression sack to your shopping list, it can cut the size of a sleeping bag in half. I use down for camping but synthetic on the bike. I can't guarantee the bag stays dry while bike camping and if awake, I am on the move so there is no time to air out the down and get the sweat out of it. If I know I will be on the edge, I bring a fleece bag liner. On the road I use things I have with me to increase warmth if required (fleece, riding jacket etc as blanket). I also sleep with the bike in the tarp so I start off the night nice and warm as the engine heats the space.

As LC mentioned bag temp ratings seem to be for survival not comfort. Always go for a bag rated several degrees colder than the temp you are expecting.

I have an ecotek sleeping pad which could be bigger but is super comfortable and very easy to inflate. It packs up to a size similar or less than a 1L bottle.
Image1617908021.002919.jpg

I use a MEC inflatable pillow which I also find very comfortable, inflate to desired pressure and packs down to approximately a fist size.

For the colder camps I also use this thermarest underpad. It doesn’t pack up as conveniently but helps a lot to stay warm.
Image1617908436.013307.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

This is what I bought, didn’t get to try it yet only on the living room floor

Look at the Zenbivvy system (www.zenbivvy.com). It integrates an insulated, inflatable mattress with a quilt / sleeping bag... thing. Their deal is why insulate the bottom of a sleeping bag when all it does is compress and lose what little R value it has. Instead the insulated inflatable mattress does the job much better and really comfortably.

It's amazing. Packs down light and small, works as both a sleeping system and a standalone blanket. I have one, and love it.

Look at the Zenbivvy system (www.zenbivvy.com). It integrates an insulated, inflatable mattress with a quilt / sleeping bag... thing. Their deal is why insulate the bottom of a sleeping bag when all it does is compress and lose what little R value it has. Instead the insulated inflatable mattress does the job much better and really comfortably.

It's amazing. Packs down light and small, works as both a sleeping system and a standalone blanket. I have one, and love it.
These look pretty neat. Which one do you have?

These look pretty neat. Which one do you have?

I know this wasn’t directed at me but I have one of these “bottomless” sleeping bags/quilts.

I got mine from a camping close out store in the US (Campsaver, worth looking at with our stronger $ now). Nemo Tango -1C Down Quilt System | MEC

Same as that one. Nemo makes top notch stuff, similar to Big Agnes etc and they have new versions out. Cant recommend them enough. Lighter than a sleeping bag and packs up super small. As long as you use an insulated sleeping pad underneath it’s toasty, use an uninsulated one for hot weather camping. I also use this on top of an ultralight cot and it’s like having my bed from home with me. Very comfy indeed.

From my personal experience. If a sleeping bag is labelled as good for -20, get one that is good for -40. You can always unzip it.

Back
Top Bottom