Convicted of no insurance | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Convicted of no insurance

P.S. Consider now if you want to sell your bike or hang on to it. If you want to sell it, now is a great time! If you want to hang on to it, look into storing it properly*. Awfully tired of looking at bikes that somebody just parked in their backyard for three years

*Requires removing battery, fuel, and other things
Storing a bike you just bought for years is probably the worst plan. If it was your grandfathers bike or unobtanium something, ok, spend the money and deal with the resulting hassle, but they will be way ahead selling this bike and starting again in the future. Even if it came back to life with no hassle, you have taken three years of depreciation with no benefit. You could rebuy the same bike in the future for less money and you didn't have your money tied up the entire time.

Not saying it's a good idea, but sometimes people are determined to hang on to them

Just be sure to grind the VIN off the frame/motor/wherever else. If things get hairy, dump it somewhere and run on foot. That's a good trick.

Original Poster
Joined Jan 7, 2018
Last seen Mar 22, 2019

Unfortunate as looks like they really were serious about getting a bike, but not logged in since starting this thread, so thread seems dead.

Original Poster
Joined Jan 7, 2018
Last seen Mar 22, 2019

Unfortunate as looks like they really were serious about getting a bike, but not logged in since starting this thread, so thread seems dead.

He had one post hoping one of us experts knew a trick. The e-bike suggestion bothers me. If he's irresponsible to the point of riding dirty is he going to have e-bike insurance to cover the scratch damage to a car he swiped doing a clumsy lane filter?

He had one post hoping one of us experts knew a trick. The e-bike suggestion bothers me. If he's irresponsible to the point of riding dirty is he going to have e-bike insurance to cover the scratch damage to a car he swiped doing a clumsy lane filter?
Nope. Can you even get e-bike liability insurance?
I wouldn't necessarily brand this guy as being "irresponsible to the point of riding dirty". Young and made a stupid mistake sure, but if the story is true and he was just trying to shuttle the bike home, most of us have done something similar before.

I'm guessing an e-bike would have to be covered on a home owners policy. However that is just a guess. A lot of home owner policies cover small boats and bicycles .

I wouldn't necessarily brand this guy as being "irresponsible to the point of riding dirty". Young and made a stupid mistake sure, but if the story is true and he was just trying to shuttle the bike home, most of us have done something similar before.
Ebikes requires liability insurance ? I thought ebikes were treated the same as bicycles

Ebikes requires liability insurance ? I thought ebikes were treated the same as bicycles
They definitely do not require it. I was wondering whether it is even possible to buy it. Homeowners insurance covers non-motorized vehicles but I'm not sure it that would include ebikes.

They definitely do not require it. I was wondering whether it is even possible to buy it. Homeowners insurance covers non-motorized vehicles but I'm not sure it that would include ebikes.

The English language is interesting in that we misinterpret words or apply meaning to blanket statements. For example in the quoted statement I would have said "They definitely do not LEGALLY require it."

However if the rider, at fault, knocks down a pedestrian, especially one from another country with that person not having travel insurance the rider might financially need it to keep from losing their house, RRSP's etc.

Getting stand alone E-Bike insurance in the present situation could be tricky. Auto / motorcycle insurers deal with registered vehicles ridden by licensed persons. There would be too many blank spaces on the application form. An insurance agent might have more detailed info.

Isn't a bicycle rider considered to be same thing as a pedestrian if you hit one, or did that change?
If an E-bicycle is passing as a peddle bike because it has peddles, would that not make the rider a pedestrian?

I kind agree with you. I think the law needs to have some compassion for young or first time offenders that are caught breaking the law where there are no aggravating factors (ie no injury or victim or other major offenses) . The kid made a mistake, he should have consequences but should they really be life altering? I know a similar situation where a kid was drinking at a party did the responsible thing and decided to stay over. Once everyone left he moved is car off the road into the friend's driveway as there was no overnight parking. Woop-woop - cops watching the party jumped out, arrested and cuffed the kid. The start embarrassing $30,000 journey.

For the OP, how about for suspending his driving privileges for 3 months and suspending the sentence. If he gets caught again, he suffers as a repeat offender.

I forgot to add that the sentences can be life altering for young first time offenders. I have been following MADD who is notw advocating lighter sentences for first time offenders in non aggravated cases. Turns out pressure of sentences on normally good people who make a mistake can often backfire -- rather than rehabilitating and working as a deterrent, sentencing hardships create such a negative outcome that some offenders gamble with reoffending simply to survive.

Riding with a wrong plate, like a saint and with a buddy behind you, the chances of getting pulled over are minuscule. That being said, still not worth saving the $15 for a trailer.
LOL I once brought a car I bought in St.Catheirnes to Toronto with wrong plates and no insurance, but yeah, I had a buddy of mine drive my other car right behind me at close range.

Dude you should had told a buddy with a pick-up truck or V8 van to do you the favor. That was an expensive venture for you no doubt.

Riding with a wrong plate, like a saint and with a buddy behind you, the chances of getting pulled over are minuscule. That being said, still not worth saving the $15 for a trailer.
Alternatively have the owner take the risk. When I bought my current bike, previous owner had taken it off insurance. He did have some temp plate somehow. I made him ride it to my place, while I drove behind him.

Back
Top Bottom