Convicted of no insurance | GTAMotorcycle.com

Convicted of no insurance

Guala

Hello.

Unfortunately, when I had purchased my first motorcycle, i attempted to ride it home but a police officer had pulled me over and I had been convicted of operating a motor vehicle with no insurance... At age 21........

I have paid the fine and learned my lesson. However, every insurance company that I have inquire about obtaining insurance for ANY road motorcycle has been declined at least until 3 years after my conviction date.

What options do I have now? I would still LOVE to learn to ride

There are only a few serious offenses that are really bad -- riding dirty is one of them. It;s like Impaired driving -- almost unbeatable in court, you have to do the time and pay the price for being stupid.

Ride out the 3 years from your conviction date then you should be good.

Lapses in judgment get you in trouble, so don't make it a habit. When you're a rider it can get you killed.

So learn to ride a dirt bike, just like all the rest of us who started riding before we were 16.

If you're gonna ride dirty, at least put some old plate on, drive like a saint and have a buddy drive close behind you. That's a general life rule, never break more than 2 laws at once.
Or, find a buddy with a trailer hitch and spend $15 for a UHAUL trailer and bring it home properly...
Either way, you can pretty much forget riding for a while.

He broke 2, if he didn't have insurance he didn't have a valid license plate either.
... putting a borrowed plate on the bike would break a 3rd law.

He broke 2, if he didn't have insurance he didn't have a valid license plate either.
... putting a borrowed plate on the bike would break a 3rd law.

I hope you are wrong. If you cant find a way to at least make the bike appear legit, then you deserve whats coming. That's just plain stupid.

I hope you are wrong. If you cant find a way to at least make the bike appear legit,

He's not wrong - attaching an incorrect plate that's not your own (or registered to the actual vehicle it's on) isn't a small charge either, so it would indeed have been another ticket at that point. And he still would have got all the other charges as well.

Anyhow, OP, you have basically two options:

- Find a broker who will quote you through facility association. Everyone in Ontario is legally entitled to insurance, and the insurer of last resort is Facility. Don't expect to like the price they give you, however.

- Buy a green plate dirt bike and trail ride. That said, considering you need insurance for that too, you're still going to have to deal with finding that somewhere, but it's apt to be a lot less than road insurance.

- Find a buddy with a large swath of private property and ride whatever you want, wherever you want....but strictly on his property. No insurance or licence required.

Riding with a wrong plate, like a saint and with a buddy behind you, the chances of getting pulled over are minuscule. That being said, still not worth saving the $15 for a trailer.

Hello.

Unfortunately, when I had purchased my first motorcycle, i attempted to ride it home but a police officer had pulled me over and I had been convicted of operating a motor vehicle with no insurance... At age 21........

I have paid the fine and learned my lesson. However, every insurance company that I have inquire about obtaining insurance for ANY road motorcycle has been declined at least until 3 years after my conviction date.

What options do I have now? I would still LOVE to learn to ride
Get a dirt bike and hit the trails.

You could insure a street bike through facility for likely $400+ a month, it is NOT worth it to pay this much.

Isn't this why e-bikes were created?

There are only a few serious offenses that are really bad -- riding dirty is one of them. It;s like Impaired driving -- almost unbeatable in court, you have to do the time and pay the price for being stupid.

Ride out the 3 years from your conviction date then you should be good.

Getting charged for driving/riding uninsured counts as a major conviction.... 6 years....

Track time is expensive! and it has to be done on somebody else's schedule, if he wants to learn to ride a motorcycle he's not going to be doing that at shannonville, it's not a practical way to learn how to crash a motorcycle.
If he learns to ride a dirt bike road debris is going to be a less terrifying encounter :/ heck he might even get good enough to ride over an 8" curb.

... OP, the alternative is you will be an old man by the time you learn to ride a motorcycle half decent :/ you did a really dumb thing.

Ebikes is the only crappy, but cheap alternative I think.

When I was purchasing my last bike, the seller wanted me to ride it from his place to mine because he had taken it off insurance. I wasn't going to risk that, my existing policy wouldn't have covered that type of bike. It was either he rode it or deal falls through. So he rode it to my place while I drove my car behind him. Passed a Popo station on the way too lol. Good thing he had a temp plate. Worked out. Sucks that we can't get temp insurance for a day.

. Sucks that we can't get temp insurance for a day.
Sounds a lot like a closed course event, buy an old dirt bike and a competition license or two, ride all the dirt bike events you possibly can ;) that should keep you busy for about 6 years. Buy a tiny pickup and carry the bike in the back ?

...make that a van then you can carry your street bike too :|

Sounds a lot like a closed course event, buy an old dirt bike and a competition license or two, ride all the dirt bike events you possibly can ;) that should keep you busy for about 6 years. Buy a tiny pickup and carry the bike in the back

...make that a van then you can carry your street bike too :|
Yep, I need to buy a p/u truck next. No $$$ right now

Insurance and green plate is required on any property you dont own personally unless it is a sanctioned event or course. The chance of getting caught are minimal but is is still possible and would net you a second no insurance fine.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

P.S. Consider now if you want to sell your bike or hang on to it. If you want to sell it, now is a great time! If you want to hang on to it, look into storing it properly*. Awfully tired of looking at bikes that somebody just parked in their backyard for three years

*Requires removing battery, fuel, and other things

Back
Top Bottom