Convert street bike or sell and buy dedicated track bike? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Convert street bike or sell and buy dedicated track bike?

油井緋色

Site Supporter
A lot of riders have told me not to convert my 2008 750 into a trackbike and instead to sell it then buy a used trackbike. What's the rationale behind this? Trackbike are around the 8-9k range. My bike is worth max 7k (it's at 40000km).

油井緋色;2338324 said:
A lot of riders have told me not to convert my 2008 750 into a trackbike and instead to sell it then buy a used trackbike. What's the rationale behind this? Trackbike are around the 8-9k range. My bike is worth max 7k (it's at 40000km).
So many people dump tons of $$$$$ into their track bikes (full ohlins, brakes, rotors, engine, etc.) as well get awesome shops to set it up, then sell it for a loss, so it's your gain. You could convert your street bike but as soon as you start getting into aftermarket suspension it would have made sense to buy one already done, especially if you're paying someone else (to do it properly).

If you don't mind hopping over the border and bringing it back as parts: https://weraclassifieds.com/ad-category/motorcycles/

Reason = Price. You've got a stock (or likely close to it) 08 750 and can get 7000 for it. You can buy a VERY nicely done and well sorted 08 750 for 7000 (or start dumping 5000+ into your bike and you'll get to where the nicely sorted 7000 track bike was already at).

You'll spend far more money converting your bike than you will buying one that has already been built. Also, if you ever look to sell your 750 as a trackbike they are a harder to sell as nobody races 750's.

I don't think I'd need to convert much aside from fairrings. Correct me if I'm wrong but I have engine covers, brakes (only the caliper is stock), a full system and tune done; all that's left is suspension but I'm not at the skill level where I need better suspension yet.

Also I don't plan to race (not within the next 3 years anyway) so I'd just slap the stock fairrings back on and sell it as a tracked street bike lol I just don't want to ride street anymore; too boring.

Btw Johncruiser...those state prices are so much better wtf

Last edited:
I bought a "track ready" (no upgraded suspension) bike because I didn't want to cry when I dropped my street. Street bikes lose a lot more value on the market when they are dropped vs track bikes. That was my decision factor.

If you only plan to ride the track once in awhile just take a street bike with less hassle.

If you get a track ready bike you get some extras that are convenient more than necessary.

Last edited:
Getting on my high horse and not answering any questions :D

If the bike is streetable it has more value as a street bike than a track bike. Another way of saying it is if you're spending the same amount of money on a track bike as a street bike for the track, the track bike will be way better.

The budget method would be to keep your bike and put race plastics on it. Do some track days. If you feel like an upgrade is necessary, then you can decide if you want to convert it back to street and sell, or dive in. but yeah, with 40,000 km it probably will never be a race bike. Track day bike okay.

Noobie question. Why is a bike with 40k km okay for track bike but not race bike?
Being down a few HP won't lose you a track day

Noobie question. Why is a bike with 40k km okay for track bike but not race bike?

You've got me...

40,000km on a street bike is no big deal. For a bike that's going to be ridden hard it's a ton! My bike just rolled 5000km this weekend (2000km street and the bike was rebuilt at 3800km) and it'll be torn down to the frame again this winter. I'm debating on servicing the bottom end again. I'm paranoid and anal but also know how much it costs when somthing goes wrong.

Back
Top Bottom