Contemplating a new ride for 2020. Suggestions? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Contemplating a new ride for 2020. Suggestions?

The Evo engines didn't have a cam chain. It was the Twinkies that had it, and it's not a problem if you change it every 50k like you should. Budget is pretty tight. If you got up to 12k you could get a nice Electra-Glide Classic. My friend just sold one for 12k that was mint. Lots of old croakers selling cheap these days because of medical problems.

Is selling or trading in your bike part of your budget?

FJR with highway pegs. Love mine and an asset on longer rides as my legs cramp up being under.

+1

You can get folding highway pegs for most ST bikes out there. In particular, the ones for the Honda ST1300 fold into the tip over wings so they look well integrated vs. an add on look.

Relatively speaking, the FJR is a light ST bike vs. the Honda ST1300 if you plan to spend a lot of time in stop and go traffic. Once underway, however, most ST bikes feel pretty light and you are now riding a fairly heavy cruiser so wouldn't be a big issue for you.

If you can bump the budget up to $12,000-13,000 you should be able to find a pretty nice 2008 or newer Harley with the 96ci engine that didn't have tensioner issues. I'd keep an open mind and look at Street/Road Glides and Road Kings along with the Ultra's as it is pretty easy to find either an OEM or aftermarket tour pack. I know you don't want an aftermarket market box but the Harley ones are generally identical to OEM including using the OEM latchs, mounts etc.

Aside of the OP reasons for ruling out HD touring. Ultra Classic from 2009 and newer are pretty good and can be had in the $10k range with 50k or less on the odo. 2009 models updated their frame and offered the 96” as well as the 103”. The 110” had some issues overheating and generally were on the CVO models.

I can attest to the improvement in handling from an 07 to an 09 UC. Enough that I wouldn’t buy an 08 or older unless it was just good of a deal to say no.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thx everyone for the suggestions and discussion. Sorry for all the quotes, but I'll tackle everything in one shot.

Keep the VTX for a few more years and put the money saved towards the Star Venture (ie buy it in 3 years rather than 5).

Considered that. Last year, actually. Reality is that the VTX is still worth something right now with it's current mileage, but at the pace I ride the VTX will have close to 175,000KM or so on it in another 3 years and will have a significantly diminished value at that point despite the reality it'll still be a solid machine - lots of them go well into the 250-300,000KM territory.

Buy Mike's FJR.
Get a WeeStrom

Cruiser guys. I'm stuck on a cruiser. I like my current cruiser and want another cruiser. ;)

Thanks though.

Yamaha Royal Venture or Kawi Vulcan Voyager. Both are full touring with top box. Suzuki C90T does come with an optional top box as well.

I went back today over lunch and spent some time looking at the Voyager again. I rode a buddy's a few years ago for an hour or so and do remember that I liked it. I'm still not 100% enamoured with the front fairing design, but it's growing on me. I actually found one in a colour scheme and optioned out nicely - going to look at it Sunday.

I have to say, I was never a fan of the HD Tour Glides but after borrowing a friend's and spending some time cruising out on the open road, I get it! They are popular for a reason. I'd never get one for the city, too big, but on the highway with or without the stereo playing.......comfy.

I've never been a huge HD fan to begin with at all in general honestly (as many here are likely aware of), but I refuse to rule them out based on "feelings" if ultimately one ends up being what fits the bill. I'm just not seeing it yet though.

The Evo engines didn't have a cam chain. It was the Twinkies that had it, and it's not a problem if you change it every 50k like you should. Budget is pretty tight. If you got up to 12k you could get a nice Electra-Glide Classic. My friend just sold one for 12k that was mint. Lots of old croakers selling cheap these days because of medical problems.

Guess I had the generational name wrong, but the price range I'm looking in it's cam chain territory.

The thing with the "inspect it regularly" and "Replace it at 50,000KM" thing is...I rode 30,000KM last season. I really don't want to be into a $1000 job potentially every 1.5 years on top of all the other regular maintenance and consumables. It basically equates to a higher cost of ownership in the bigger picture vs alternatives that don't need this level of attention.

Is selling or trading in your bike part of your budget?

Yes. Hoping to get somewhere in the $2750-$3500 range for my VTX depending on as-is vs certified.

If you can bump the budget up to $12,000-13,000 you should be able to find a pretty nice 2008 or newer Harley with the 96ci engine that didn't have tensioner issues.

Ultimately, I could go buy a brand new bike and finance it tomorrow with zero issue. But I don't want to. I'm not a big fan of financing depreciating assets, so I've got my budget in mind and aim to stick to it.

Anyhow, as above, I'm looking at a 07 Voyager Sunday, and potentially a 2000 HD Ultra tomorrow night. The HD fits all the bills so far as being unmolested (mature owner, no tuner), right price, 1 owner, and a paper trail of maintenance and cam chain / cam plate upgrade etc etc etc...but I'm just not totally fond of the colour honestly. The price is right, but I'd spend the savings getting the thing painted. Going to go look anyways in case the colour looks better in person vs online.

I was doing the same thing ten years ago. The tiny GVWR + large wet weight of cruisers that I looked at, made me take a different approach. The small gas tanks can also be an issue. It's ok if you're 140 lbs and your spouse 110, but any more and you start running into luggage problems.

I've done 3yrs (50,000km) on a Victory Magnum, and another 50,000km on Harley Street Glide, and have two close friends on Kwak Voyagers. Here's my thoughts:
First, a stock 96ci HD is a dog so if any get-up-and-go is desired avoid it. Plus it's less easy to work on. Not complicated, just a bit more maintenance and overall PITA. Parts are plentiful and often interchangeable and cheaper farkles/topbox's etc are available in the aftermarket. Honestly, I don't think a HD decker is your best bet unless you find a good lower mileage 103ci model in your price range.
Victory is a great bagger. Reliable as a brick, the 106ci easily walks away from a 103HD, and maintenance is easy and is as simple as a 5min oil change and then just gas and go. Handles much better than the HD. At idle is much less "lumpy" than the HD but at normal speeds they're about the same. Wind buffeting is an issue. Bags are HUGE. With being discontinued parts are harder to come by. With being so reliable it isn't an issue finding maintenance parts, but if you want body parts, or aftermarket stuff it's limited. Trunks are also impossible to find and if you want one expect to pay at least $1500 for one. Awesome bikes, but I wouldn't go that route either.
Voyager, my friends love them. It's a gas an go machine and is very easy to do basic maintenance on (which is all it'll likely ever need). Parts are easy to find, bags aren't huge, but adequate. But you've got to like the looks (if that's important to you). Again, reliable as a brick and a decent performing motor. In the right trim and colour this could be your best bet.

A little over budget but clean, stock, and no mileage.

Please view this ad:

2016 Yamaha XV1900-Stratoliner,

Price: $ 14,999

Download the application from the Google Play Store.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

Thx everyone for the suggestions and discussion. Sorry for all the quotes, but I'll tackle everything in one shot.

Considered that. Last year, actually. Reality is that the VTX is still worth something right now with it's current mileage, but at the pace I ride the VTX will have close to 175,000KM or so on it in another 3 years and will have a significantly diminished value at that point despite the reality it'll still be a solid machine - lots of them go well into the 250-300,000KM territory.

Cruiser guys. I'm stuck on a cruiser. I like my current cruiser and want another cruiser. ;)

Thanks though.
I always say 'ride what makes you happy', not the bike that makes the other guy happy.

If you like the VTX and confident it can go another 3 years, I'd keep it. It's worth
yes, it is unusual
I was looking at the Cross Country a few years ago
nice bike that got great reviews and has a solid rep for reliability

looks like they have actually gone UP in value
3 years ago you could get a nicely equipped Tour Cross Country
a few years old and under 20km for ~ 10K

same bike now 3 years older and 40-50 km and they're asking 15
Might be worth the drive to Timmins. Victory Cross Country Motorcycle "
Victory cross country, mint condition, new tires, stereo system, cruise control, anti theft alarm system, spare higher windshield, trailer hitch and wiring, wheel chock for trailer, cover, will certify. Reason for selling : getting to old and lost interest in touring. Luggage bag, saddle bag liners, 2xl victory leather and textile jackets. Factory digital service manual"

I'm guessing those bikes will hold value like HDs, somewhere close to $10K if you keep them in shape.

That Victory does seems like a lot of bike for the money. If it was me shopping I would be seriously considering that bike. I am one of those that would be a little concerned about parts availability but at that price it’s tough to go wrong.

Is it a good buy right now?Yes.Keep in mind that in 5 years with 100k on it and parts NOT getting any easier to get,it won't be worth much if anything.A similar bike from Kawi or Yam would hold a much better value.

This was just posted on kijiji. Seems to fit the bill all around, even the price.

Please view this ad:

2012 Yamaha Royal Star Venture,

Price: $ 10,995

a0f1883224f34e0a478fbb3f6655eb1d.jpg

Don't know if there was any difference between the 2012 and 2013 models, but this one has half the mileage and is $1000 cheaper, but in Quebec?
Purchased new in Aug of 2014.

Another one, private sale. Near you.

Please view this ad:

2008 Royal Star Venture ( only 11,000km ) in great condition ,

Price: $ 7,800

A little over budget but clean, stock, and no mileage.

2016 Yamaha XV1900-Stratoliner,

Price: $ 14,999

More than a little over budget. 50% over budget. And I don't really like the Stratoliner enough that it would cause me to blow the budget wide open to get one.

I always say 'ride what makes you happy', not the bike that makes the other guy happy.

If you like the VTX and confident it can go another 3 years, I'd keep it. It's worth

Mentioned earlier, reason for selling now is that it's still worth something...and I need a bike more suited to long distance touring which is what a huge majority of my rides are. I love the VTX, still do...but the last 4 years riding it hard has shown me repeatedly that it's just not perfect for my needs.

Might be worth the drive to Timmins. Victory Cross Country Motorcycle "
Victory cross country, mint condition, new tires, stereo system, cruise control, anti theft alarm system, spare higher windshield, trailer hitch and wiring, wheel chock for trailer, cover

Everything except a matched top box which is one of my absolute gotta-haves. By the time I find a Victory top box (potentially hard on it's own, and without doubt very expensive) and potentially get it painted to match it'll ad a ton of cost - probably $1500-$2000 more.

That Victory does seems like a lot of bike for the money. If it was me shopping I would be seriously considering that bike. I am one of those that would be a little concerned about parts availability but at that price it’s tough to go wrong.

Is it a good buy right now?Yes.Keep in mind that in 5 years with 100k on it and parts NOT getting any easier to get,it won't be worth much if anything.A similar bike from Kawi or Yam would hold a much better value.

The parts availability for the Victory bikes isn't going to be an issue for 20+ years. Polaris has pledged to keep making parts for 10 years after the last Victory rolled off the line (so 2027 before they even stop production) and my experience owning a Polaris Jetski years ago (which they stopped making in 2004) showed me that even in 2016 when I last needed parts...they were still readily available (ordered in a few days later) at the Polaris dealer 15 minutes from my house.

This was just posted on kijiji. Seems to fit the bill all around, even the price.

2012 Yamaha Royal Star Venture,

I just really don't like the front end on the <2017 Venture stars. I've looked at them for a year or two now honestly as I have a friend who rides one, and I just can't get over that front fairing. Can't love it.

Anyhow, I went and looked at the 2000 Ultra this evening that was one of the prospects. 125,000KM on the bike, engine was basically rebuilt at 115,000KM. Turns out I actually kind of know the seller through friends of friends, so I found out a little more history than I might otherwise have - he was very upfront and honest about things. Is it perfect? Nope. But with some spit and polish It fits the bill, and the price is right. Very right. And he may actually be interested in my VTX as a partial trade. Difficulty: Not fond of the current paint scheme. At all.

Still going to go look at the 07 Voyager on Sunday. More money but it's perfect out of the box assuming the pictures match the ad.

Back
Top Bottom