Condo riders Where do you keep your bike? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Condo riders Where do you keep your bike?

Younggun305

Hi All,

I recently had my bike stolen from my Condo in GTA. Just wondering where fellow condo riders are storing their bikes.

My current parking spot does not have a pole to put a chain around. They suggested renting another spot so that is an option.

I also looked at storage units on the ground level but they want me to do 5 ft *7.5ft and its coming up to over 200 a month. I think 5*5 is big enough if you store it diagonally but that is their policy.

Just curious what other people are doing.

Last edited:
Hi All,

I recently had my bike stolen from my Condo in GTA. Just wondering where fellow condo riders are storing their bikes.

My current parking spot does not have a pole to put a chain around. They suggested renting another spot so that is an option.

I also looked at storage units on the ground level but they want me to do 5 ft *7.5ft and its coming up to over 200 a month. I think 5*5 is big enough if you store it diagonally but that is their policy.

Just curious what other people are doing.
Most are doing the only thing you can do. Chain it, insure it and pray.

Have you thought about riding a KLR? Condos and bikes are a crappy combination. Insurance is key. Chaining, covering, picking a non-desirable bike helps as well. I still like putting a van in your spot and parking the bike inside. Obviously that is not cheap.

Have you thought about riding a KLR?

along the same vein, I noticed certain types of bikes are targeted more for theft, a distinct preference for super sport/race bikes, less so for other type of bikes.

I did live in condo's for a few years and bikes around mine got stolen, but not mine. So there is truth to KLR's being good condo bikes. Some strategically placed duct tape on the seat might work in a pinch or a milk crate top box.

Also depends on the building - my old place at Windermere/Lakeshore had a bunch of bikes stolen, while another condo a 5km away seemed like no bikes get stolen.

I did live in condo's for a few years and bikes around mine got stolen, but not mine. So there is truth to KLR's being good condo bikes. Some strategically placed duct tape on the seat might work in a pinch or a milk crate top box.

Also depends on the building - my old place at Windermere/Lakeshore had a bunch of bikes stolen, while another condo a 5km away seemed like no bikes get stolen.
I feel like anything sufficiently large and heavy is less targeted, just harder to lift and fit an r1250 GS in the back of a caravan vs a gsxr 600

I feel like anything sufficiently large and heavy is less targeted, just harder to lift and fit an r1250 GS in the back of a caravan vs a gsxr 600
better hold that SDR tight at night!

Hey... 'Buddy had a KLR stolen out of his driveway in Suburban Guelph..

OPP recovered it a year later during a raid on a meth operation out Stratford...
So... Meth-heads will steal your KLR.

A friend had his DT200 stolen from his garage and then recovered 15 years later. Police were stopped at a gas station and ran the plates of the bike (yes, the plate was still on it) and the pickup it was in. Owner of the pickup had an arrest record.
My friend said the bike was in very good condition.

I've never had a bike stolen (knock on wood), but work in construction where we're regularly leaving tools and equipment in multi-storey parking garages. There is nothing you can onto guarantee safety, obviously, but we always take the approach that it's better to make the thieves lives difficult than easy. This generally involves two components: hide and lock.

For a bike, the hide bit is a cover. I'd go with something big, so you can't tell what's underneath in case they're looking for something in particular. It also means they'll have to remove it to steal, which adds a step and makes casing the bikes security locks harder.

For locks, adding more slows the theft. Alarm disc locks are a pain, but do work. If you can't chain to something solid, a quality chain through the frame and rear tire can help. Use the steering lock, too. Each can be defeated, but stacking obstacles may be enough to convince them to move on to easier prey.

You could also remove the clutch lever. Not ideal on a daily basis, but moreso if you only ride on weekends. I know of one bike where the theft was foiled when they broke it off breaking a lock (one time the cheapo Chinese Pazzo rip-offs actually did some good), rendering the bike unstartable. There was amusing security footage of the increasingly frantic attempts to get it going with no luck.

You could also ask to install a ground anchor, but if I were on the condo board, I'd insist that you used a ferroscan or GPR to avoid drilling into any rebar or conduit.

You could also ask to install a ground anchor, but if I were on the condo board, I'd insist that you used a ferroscan or GPR to avoid drilling into any rebar or conduit.
If I were on the board, there is no way you would be drilling to add an anchor. Way too many morons. Probably get told too bad or best case if it came up often, "give our approved contractor a call and pay them to install your anchor". That pushes it to a company with tools, skills, and insurance. Part of the reason I can't live in a condo. Lowest common denominator rules drive me crazy.

If I were on the board, there is no way you would be drilling to add an anchor. Way too many morons. Probably get told too bad or best case if it came up often, "give our approved contractor a call and pay them to install your anchor". That pushes it to a company with tools, skills, and insurance. Part of the reason I can't live in a condo. Lowest common denominator rules drive me crazy.
Not to mention drilling through a waterproof coating or how to repair the hole if you move, but I wouldn't be worried about that, which is why I'll never be on a condo board...

Not to mention drilling through a waterproof coating or how to repair the hole if you move, but I wouldn't be worried about that, which is why I'll never be on a condo board...
F it, use a Hilti.

Back
Top Bottom