Condo Garage Cleaning.... | GTAMotorcycle.com

Condo Garage Cleaning....

silvrsurfr

Its bad enough to have to park your bike in a garage, while always having that thought in the back of your mind.....will this be the day....(its gets stolen)
My brother has had his bike in his condo garage for 2yrs running now with no problem yet...(touch wood)...and he lives in a dodgy part of town! So there is hope.

But when they demand you move your bike for the semi-annual garage cleaning and you are forced to find a parking spot outside on a ****** day like today....

meh....it doesnt take up that much space!

It's usually a zero tolerance rule, because if they say yes to you, somebody else sees you and wants the same thing and the whole thing goes viral. It's easier for them to enforce it that way. And the garage does need to be empty ....

I never had a problem with it, because I always took my bike to work. Bad luck that they forecast a lot of rain, but what would you not do for your bike, right? :)

This never bothered me. I just move my car and bike into the same vissitor's spot and get an over night pass.

With all the many many known negatives to owning and living in a condo, it sure does beg the question..what are the perks? Do any exist, and if so what are they? I'd be interested to see the list. I have a feeling the appeal is directed primarily to someone who travels a lot and is rarely home, in which case a shared accommodation/rent situation might be a way to build at least some decent level of equity without all the hassles. But that hinges a lot on location and who built the place. You could screw yourself big time if the builder sucked.

You can't even BBQ on the balconies of these joints can you? You must go to a designated spot, then realize a period of Twilight Zone if you expect there to be any heat left in that top sirloin by the time you get it back to your floor. And I'll bet you can't even nurse a beer in those designated BBQ cooking areas, as it is a public place.

I never moved mine at all. Had a car, and two bikes in the same spot, and they only ever gave us a day or two to move our vehicles. I was in a back corner spot, and just left the bikes parked where they were in the back corner. Never in 3 years did I have a problem. Only problem I ever had with parking enforcement, was I got in **** because I left a can of chain lube in the corner. It was out of sight, and you wouldn't know it was there unless you were actually in my spot, and leaning across one of the bikes to see it. Management put up a notice that only vehicles were allowed in parking spots, and that all vehicle maintenance products (motor oils, washer fluid, chain lubrication, etc) were to be stored in our residence not in our parking spots. I know it was my parking neighbor who complained as he always hated my bikes being parked there.

Only problem I ever had was when they repainted the lines. I couldn't get my bikes out, so I moved them into the middle of the spot, and tarped them up. Had a tiny bit of over spray on one of my rims, but it wiped right off and was no big deal.

The condo we lived in before that, had awesome spots. For $10 more a month than a normal spot ($90ish i think) I could get a double long spot, and it would allow me to park my truck and trailer with enough room for ramps and to load the bike. No problem fitting 2 cars, and 2 bikes (lengthwise) in one of those spots.

Where I am - they claim they will ding you $200 if you dont move your vehicles. I thought i'd be the nice guy and ask if if i could just leave the bike there. No go! I am sure i could have - but wasnt feeling the need to pay $200 should they actually charge me. And the idea of having some high power pressure washer going at my bike if the cleaners wanted to be ******** wasn't enticing either.
And i couldnt park in visitors as that level was being washed as well. meh...

As for benefits of condo living- there are many actually. Personally, I'm saving up for some acreage north of the city with a separate garage. But thats a couple years down the way. Biggest benefit right now - I walk 10mins to work. Cannt put a price on that.

Put it in the lobby if it will fit then when they ***** say......."You requested it to not be parked in the underground"

GEE wiz....I to could have made a post about this major life problem myself for the last 15 years.....
and I had to move (2) TWO bikes & a truck...all this time...how did I manage?
THANKS for letting me know, there are others out there with the same problems

Why are they cleaning it now, just before the dirtiest period of the year? The garage cleaning should be done annually in the spring.

Anyways, move your bike. The high pressure washers and aggressive cleaners they use can cause damage, even if they try and work around the bike. Why not just ride it to work that day? That's what I do. Car goes in the mall parking next door and bike comes to work.

It's usually a zero tolerance rule, because if they say yes to you, somebody else sees you and wants the same thing and the whole thing goes viral. It's easier for them to enforce it that way. And the garage does need to be empty ....

I never had a problem with it, because I always took my bike to work. Bad luck that they forecast a lot of rain, but what would you not do for your bike, right? :)

That's complete garbage, there is no reason exceptions can't be made for a bike.

Though I will say, if the bike is in the rain for one day, who cares. Some of us ride in the rain and we don't whine about it.

Why are they cleaning it now, just before the dirtiest period of the year? The garage cleaning should be done annually in the spring.

Anyways, move your bike. The high pressure washers and aggressive cleaners they use can cause damage, even if they try and work around the bike. Why not just ride it to work that day? That's what I do. Car goes in the mall parking next door and bike comes to work.

Many condo corps wash twice a year. It's amazing how much crud accumulates in six months.

Anyway, the last time my parking garage got washed I was on a business trip, so couldn't move the bike. I knew the wash was coming up, so I put a bike cover and left it. It's small enough that they can spray around. Sure, some water got on the chain and what not, but it was pretty minor.

I own a condo but I dont live there ( I will someday when I'm ready , its an investment property). There are a couple bikes there and i see them put them out for the cleaning, put covers on them and park them at the rear of the building near the patio. They are pretty secure and cant get hit by a car parked there.
Its interesting, they clean the place big wash once a year and power vac once a year and they never get all the cars out, ever. with 120 units somebody is always away, hospitalized, just dumb. The place is never empty.

The condo appeal for me is no lawn, snow shoveling, outdoor maintenence, and a pool I don't work on, and a fitness center thrown in. My renter is a friend, when we do steaks I plate them and foil over and they are fine when they get in, they should repose for 10-12mins anyway before eating. You can drink at the bbq, its common space but not public space, its your patio. Having replacement beers dropped down on a basket/fishing rod combo will get you a note from the board, they take that stuff pretty serious.

They haven't cleaned our underground in years. I wash the car one day, next day it is dirty. I can't uncover the bike without having to take a shower afterwards, and when it rains it's a mudhole. No way we could walk through the apartment with your shoes on, you would leave footprints everywhere. You need a dust mask if you are down there for more than 5 minutes.....

You're seriously complaining about your condo corp cleaning the garage so that your treasured bike isn't accumulating an inch of crud in a period of a month? Either move it, cover the bike, or be prepared for it to get sprayed a bit while they power wash. Complaining about someone cleaning your parking spot for you is amusing.

Back
Top Bottom