Close call: video from the Toronto Sun | GTAMotorcycle.com

Close call: video from the Toronto Sun

Holy fudge! Always pisses me off when I see people driving with stuff not secured properly. Flying matress? wtf.

death by mattress, can you imagine?

I recall when I was in maybe the 5th grade, On a school trip. I was looking out the window of the bus going down the highway. Beside us there was a pickup truck with a mattress, half in the bed half rested on the cab. Well the mattress took off into the air and I didnt quite see where it came down. But from that day I have always been weary of truckup trucks carrying cargo, especially mattresses I cant imagine the damage it would cause if it came down on a car, let alone a motorcycle.

About 3 months ago a giant styrofoam box (carrying I dont know what) came flying off a pickup truck 2 cars in front of me while I was on my bike (single lane). Luckily there was a car accident in front so we were probably traveling 40-50km/h and we were both able to avoid the box (It was about 1mx1m1xm). If it weren't for the accident, we probably would have been going double the speed (80km/h zone) and it would have been hard to avoid it.

Looks to me like target fixation almost got the best of him.....whys he veering towards the mattress?

Looks to me like target fixation almost got the best of him.....whys he veering towards the mattress?

I think he was about to change lanes.

Anyways I did the same thing once with pool noodles in the back of a pickup. Learned my lesson. Dunno how we're supposed to learn otherwise, it's not like this is taught when we get our licenses.

I think he was about to change lanes.

Anyways I did the same thing once with pool noodles in the back of a pickup. Learned my lesson. Dunno how we're supposed to learn otherwise, it's not like this is taught when we get our licenses.

.........I hope you're kidding. Anyone with common sense knows that anything in an open bed not tied or bolted down is liable to get lifted up at some point. With very few exceptions. I almost got killed by some moron that had a 12ft ladder in the bed he didn't tie down cause "the heavy end was in the truck".

Last edited:
.........I hope you're kidding. Anyone with common sense knows that anything in an open bed not tied or bolted down is liable to get lifted up at some point. With very few exceptions. I almost got killed by some moron that had a 12ft ladder in the bed he didn't tie down cause "the heavy end was in the truck".

Not kidding. I don't see the common sense of it. How's anybody to know about the strong aerodynamic updrafts that happens back there, unless they see vids like this on YouTube. Did you figure it out for yourself without seeing it happen first?

Not kidding. I don't see the common sense of it. How's anybody to know about the strong aerodynamic updrafts that happens back there, unless they see vids like this on YouTube. Did you figure it out for yourself without seeing it happen first?

Well for one, I bet dollars to donuts the owner's manual for the pickup says something about unsecured loads.

...Yes. Air flows over cab at high speed, air instantly drops into the bed and makes lift. It's also why you lose fuel economy with a pickup (engine aside). I really don't see how it's not common sense unless (and no offense intended) you didn't ever take middle school science.

Then again I guess being a car/truck/bike guy I just think about aerodynamics more than the average person...

Last edited:
...Yes. Air flows over cab at high speed, air instantly drops into the bed and makes lift. It's also why you lose fuel economy with a pickup (engine aside). I really don't see how it's not common sense unless (and no offense intended) you didn't ever take middle school science.

Talk out your ass much?

How much experience do you have with the back pick-ups?

With the tail gate up a vortex of swirling air actually makes a pocket of calm air directly behind the cab. The air then flowing over the top actually "rides" over this vortex towards the back. This is why a pick up will always get better fuel consumption with the tail gate up.

With the tail gate up you are 100% right. With it down you are 100% wrong.

Mythbusters did an awesome display and test on this. Look it up.

Talk out your ass much?

How much experience do you have with the back pick-ups?

With the tail gate up a vortex of swirling air actually makes a pocket of calm air directly behind the cab. The air then flowing over the top actually "rides" over this vortex towards the back. This is why a pick up will always get better fuel consumption with the tail gate up.

With the tail gate up you are 100% right. With it down you are 100% wrong.

Mythbusters did an awesome display and test on this. Look it up.

Thats wonderful.

I'm surprised that more people don't realize that certain objects can be lifted out of the bed of a truck.

The vortex you're referring to is simply a high pressure pocket created by the tailgate. It's generally calm but outside enfluences can disrupt the laminar flow and create turbulance. It's that turbulance that results in objects flying out of the bed.

Thats wonderful.

I'm surprised that more people don't realize that certain objects can be lifted out of the bed of a truck.

The vortex you're referring to is simply a high pressure pocket created by the tailgate. It's generally calm but outside enfluences can disrupt the laminar flow and create turbulance. It's that turbulance that results in objects flying out of the bed.

Yup, I hope I don't get taken wrong here. I was just referring to his comment about the air dropping right after the cab and the bed being a big cause of increased fuel consumption.

It should be common sense that crap flys out of there and the lighter the easier. It's why my redneck friends would throw their timmies cups and other litter in the back, because it will eventually fly out.

Back
Top Bottom