Claim or no claim? Insurance says still a claim? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Claim or no claim? Insurance says still a claim?

Klaatu

Site Supporter
So some of you may remember there was an attempt to steal my motorcycle 10 weeks ago. Well BMW finally fixed my bike.
The total is about $1400, but I have a $1000 deductible. I called my insurance because I was going to eat the $400 and not have a claim. Well they said that it is still recorded as a claim against me, regardless if there is a payout or not. I don't understand that? Has anyone had to deal with something like this?
Thanks

My car got rear ended and was a cosmetic written off. The difference between repairing it and sending it to the bone yard was about $1500. I asked if I could buy the salvage and eat the cost of repairs because it would have been cheaper and easier than having to shop for a replacement vehicle. The answer was no - they don't operate that way. So instead, they ate a month's worth of storage and car rental and I had to go shopping. It doesn't have to make sense, it just is what it is.

So some of you may remember there was an attempt to steal my motorcycle 10 weeks ago. Well BMW finally fixed my bike.
The total is about $1400, but I have a $1000 deductible. I called my insurance because I was going to eat the $400 and not have a claim. Well they said that it is still recorded as a claim against me, regardless if there is a payout or not. I don't understand that? Has anyone had to deal with something like this?
Thanks

My opinion - no, that’s not a claim.
I’d threaten them with a lawsuit to protect your insurance record because right now, with a claim against you, they have you by the balls and you are less likely to move insurers.

Thanks
I think you need to talk with another agent or whomever, maybe bump it up a service level. I have something similar with my house insurance with that ice storm a few years ago. I never made a claim but they have it on record I called in to discuss with them. Each year when I call in to renew they bring this up like it was a claim or mark on my file. I tell them it wasn't a claim and they back down. They seem to keep maticiuous notes on your history, but unfortunatly it might be tactic to get you into higher price point if you don't challenge it or it could be someone not trained well enough to know the difference. My gut tells me it's just insurance gaming it more then anything.

Comp claim shpuldnt affect your rates. Too many comp claims and they may dump you. I think they want to keep the attempted theft on your record in preparation for dumping you if it happens again.

Buddy had an r6 Ravin written off for cosmetic damage. Fought to buy it back and repair it himself. $5500 estimate $600 to get road worthy. They said must repair with receipts to the estimate. He then fought to not have a claim. Ended up winning that but can't get health or medical benifits paid out if accident never happen and had to pay towing. Still has the bike 10 ish years later. Even though he was run over at very low speed he was fine.

I don't know if you can grasp the concept, but you're buying insurance against financial loss, while the insurance is rated against risk.
It doesn't matter there was no payout or claim, you have exhibited risk

I don't know if you can grasp the concept, but you're buying insurance against financial loss, while the insurance is rated against risk.
It doesn't matter there was no payout or claim, you have exhibited risk

Exhibiting risk does not = making a claim.
Those are 2 different discussions.

The question was about what counts as a claim and having a claim on file.

What happened to the OP is normal practice, and that's why the first rule of insurance club is never talk about insurance claims you don't intend to go through with. You can ask them hypothetical questions for the purposes of understanding your coverage, but be crystal clear that you're asking a "what if", not a "what now". Pretty sure there's an in depth explanation in past insurance threads, but as others have mentioned, it comes down to the difference between POTENTIAL vs ACTUAL risk. Having someone attempt to steal your bike means that your bike is ACTUALLY at risk of future thefts, so they'll make note of that on your account. Just like if you rear end someone and tell your insurer, it will still count as a claim even if you decide to pay the other party in cash.

Crap. I called my insurance about replacing windshields as both the Odyssey and Volt had cracks at the same time.

Hopefully that’s not considered a claim as I repaired them both myself for less than a single deductible of $1000.

Rather than guess, why not just call your agent or broker and ask a few detailed questions about the claim process and what counts and what does not.

Remember to ask if calling to ask is considered a claim as well................

Last edited:
Exhibiting risk does not = making a claim.
Those are 2 different discussions.
That would be a no harm no foul argument.

If I speed but don't cause a collision I still get hammered because the the underwriters relate the two.

In the case of theft the owner played no part in the damage to the bike so a little different,

However an underwriter looks at the possibility of a recurrence. The owner is responsible for diligence to prevent theft. If there was no penalty any time a rider wanted a new bike he could just park the old one in an underground garage.

We had a break in at our house 30 years ago and theoretically didn't get a rate increase. We just lost our "No claims" discount for a few years.

P.S. I suspect that if the bike was recovered with out any damage they would still jack your rates because they saw potential risk.

Back
Top Bottom