• No - Don Cherry's heart in the right place, poor choice of words

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Reprimand - Misconduct worthy of suspension and apology

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • He did nothing wrong

Votes: 13 21.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I cannot stand the guy! That being said, and despite the fact that he's been able to milk the stupidest people on the planet for millions, no. He did what he was paid to do i.e. say the stupidest and most ignorant things he could think of. Nobody should be fired for simply doing their job.

I wonder if they can get Howie Meeker? He's only 95.

It’s only because of the brave men and women that stood up to an evil regime that people can wear white or rainbow poppy’s and express their opinion.

I doubt very much if that would happen if we were living under the Nazi jackboot, which was a real possibility and very close to happening.

I don’t really like Cherry, however what offends me more is the lack of respect for the people that sacrificed so we have our freedoms today. God bless all our veterans.

I live in the US at the moment but I always wear my poppy with pride

No, in the poll, I would like the he did nothing wrong choice. What you think he did wrong is your opinion. Until I have that option I can't vote.

He was being an Ahole, simple enough. When did he become some sort of ambassador for Canadians. He is an entertainer which usually means to make people happy not worse off.

Sent from the moon!

Good riddance. It’s easy to spout jingoistic rubbish but plenty of immigrants in this country have traumatic experiences from the past 10 years from their own countries that are equally as bad as those from 70+ years ago and on a level that many of us can’t fathom or ever will. I’m fine with giving them a pass on not wearing a poppy.

Just got back from Walmart (Thornhill). Passed by probably 50 people in the store and only one had a poppy. Pathetic, looks like its all Canadians, not just 'immigrants"

I don't know, I usually manage to lose about a dozen poppies at this time of year. Some people think fastening them with a safety pin is disrespectful.

I don't know, I usually manage to lose about a dozen poppies at this time of year. Some people think fastening them with a safety pin is disrespectful.

Same, I gave up trying to wear them. Just drop some money in the box

It's the way for old sports farts.

Howard Cosell "
Jimmy the Greek
He was being an Ahole, simple enough. When did he become some sort of ambassador for Canadians. He is an entertainer which usually means to make people happy not worse off.

Sent from the moon!
I don't think his mission was to be an ambassador for Canadians. Historically he has shown support and respect for the Canadian Forces and Police, more than any news media, celebrity or prime minister. He set out to personally give every soldier fallen in combat a final moment of respect and honour in front of a nation each Saturday night.

I've crossed paths with the man a hundred times over the years. He's a fixture in youth hockey and does a ton to support the sport - ask any Ontario kid (and his family) who plays professionally, they all have something great to say about him. I don't know him personally, I don't like his choice of words but I've see his heart and to me he's one of the good guys.

An old man's frank observations on change. Did he mess up? Yeah. Does he deserve to be retired? Yeah. Does he deserve respect for his life's work? Yeah.

I strongly suspect that it did not go straight to firing him. They probably offered an opportunity to air an apology (and yes, what he said was definitely discriminatory) and he straight up refused it. Also given he's 85 they definitely already had a bunch of exit strategies in a drawer somewhere.

At the end of the day Rogers does not want talent that scares away advertising dollars.

It's the way for old sports farts.

Howard Cosell "
Jimmy the Greek

I don't think his mission was to be an ambassador for Canadians. Historically he has shown support and respect for the Canadian Forces and Police, more than any news media, celebrity or prime minister. He set out to personally give every soldier fallen in combat a final moment of respect and honour in front of a nation each Saturday night.

I've crossed paths with the man a hundred times over the years. He's a fixture in youth hockey and does a ton to support the sport - ask any Ontario kid (and his family) who plays professionally, they all have something great to say about him. I don't know him personally, I don't like his choice of words but I've see his heart and to me he's one of the good guys.

An old man's frank observations on change. Did he mess up? Yeah. Does he deserve to be retired? Yeah. Does he deserve respect for his life's work? Yeah.

This is what gets lost in our present day culture. People are 3 dimensional, not one sided cartoon heroes and villains.

What he said was outright wrong, if he felt he was misunderstood, he could have apologized and explained. He didn't

Good riddance. It’s easy to spout jingoistic rubbish but plenty of immigrants in this country have traumatic experiences from the past 10 years from their own countries that are equally as bad as those from 70+ years ago and on a level that many of us can’t fathom or ever will. I’m fine with giving them a pass on not wearing a poppy.
There is no obligation to wear a poppy -- you don't need a pass to go without. Wearing a poppy has nothing to do with what you have experienced in life, it has to do showing respect for those men and women who made the ultimate sacrifice so Canada a could be a free and safe destination.

Whether you are 8 generations in Canada or you arrived on a flight 2 weeks ago -- please understand each November it's customary to honour those men and women who made it possible to live free and safe in Canada. Wearing a poppy and making a small donation to the Legion volunteers who keep Remembrance alive is a privilege we all have as residents of Canada.

This is what gets lost in our present day culture. People are 3 dimensional, not one sided cartoon heroes and villains.

What he said was outright wrong, if he felt he was misunderstood, he could have apologized and explained. He didn't
He's an old grouch. My dad and his friends are his age, well beyond their "best before" dates when it comes to political correctness. Let the old fella head out to pasture.

He's an old grouch. My dad and his friends are his age, well beyond their "best before" dates when it comes to political correctness. Let the old fella head out to pasture.
Yeah, I think we all know at least a few people of his generation or the one before that make comments that are now considered wholly inappropriate. I know I have heard a few things from people that I know and respect that are infinitely worse than what DC said.

Apparently all one has to do to become a patriot is put on a flower. How many of these so called patriots have gone into public service? How many of them have actually served in the armed forces? Has don? It doesnt take much to be an ignorant loudmouth on television.
Like donald trump humping the flag and dodging the draft 5 times.

Walk into any hospital and you'll see patriots in nurse scrubs. Yes, even the ones who forgot to wear their poppies that day.

I know MANY immigrants who are fiercely patriotic but dont wear a poppy, simply because they dont know the historical significance behind it.
A lot of immigrants also lost family during the wars, serving under various regiments in the days of the British empire. Poppies are a north american/canadian thing.

He could have just said more people should wear the poppy, or given a short history lesson, but no, he chose to talk down to us as if we are less Canadian in a nationally televised bigoted rant, incoherently rambling about milk and honey while he was at it.

Glad he got canned.

He said what needed to be said. Canadians need to support our veterans who fought tyrants to keep this country free. If you can't do that you don't deserve the freedom, security and great standard of living we have here.

Apparently all one has to do to become a patriot is put on a flower. How many of these so called patriots have gone into public service? How many of them have actually served in the armed forces? Has don? It doesnt take much to be an ignorant loudmouth on television.
Like donald trump humping the flag and dodging the draft 5 times.

Walk into any hospital and you'll see patriots in nurse scrubs. Yes, even the ones who forgot to wear their poppies that day.

I know MANY immigrants who are fiercely patriotic but dont wear a poppy, simply because they dont know the historical significance behind it.
A lot of immigrants also lost family during the wars, serving under various regiments in the days of the British empire. Poppies are a north american/canadian thing.

He could have just said more people should wear the poppy, or given a short history lesson, but no, he chose to talk down to us as if we are less Canadian in a nationally televised bigoted rant, incoherently rambling about milk and honey while he was at it.

Glad he got canned.
I don't think it has anything to do about being a patriot. While the fallen soldiers are certainly patriots, the poppy symbolizes respect for what they did, the sacrifice they made so we can be here enjoying freedom and security.

Perhaps some do not know the significance, but I think that's a bit of cop out. We all have the Internet, you can read about the significance on any poppy donation box, from any vet or even a 13 year old Air Cadet selling poppies outside a liquor store.

Poppies are a Commonwealth thing, you don't see a lot of them elsewhere. Canadians, British, Australians/NZs all don poppies during he remembrance period to honor the sacrifice made to make our countries free.

BigPoppa I'm guessing you are not from the same tribe as Cherry, but probably from a tribe that's not afraid to stand up and fight for what's right. Personally I don't give a Sh|t if you are born here or the spawn of 8 generations in the country -- few of us are indigenous -- the mosaic makes it a great place to live. That said, it's free because our black, brown, yellow and white forefathers made the ultimate sacrifice to keep us free, you don't need to be from Cherry's tribe to honor that.

good riddance to a national embarrassment
I think that's harsh. I just had a few beers at the local legion, in that house the man is a saint.

Go ask a vet or serviceman/servicewoman for an opinion on Cherry... you might get enlightened.

I don't think it has anything to do about being a patriot. While the fallen soldiers are certainly patriots, the poppy symbolizes respect for what they did, the sacrifice they made so we can be here enjoying freedom and security.

Perhaps some do not know the significance, but I think that's a bit of cop out. We all have the Internet, you can read about the significance on any poppy donation box, from any vet or even a 13 year old Air Cadet selling poppies outside a liquor store.

Poppies are a Commonwealth thing, you don't see a lot of them elsewhere. Canadians, British, Australians/NZs all don poppies during he remembrance period to honor the sacrifice made to make our countries free.

BigPoppa I'm guessing you are not from the same tribe as Cherry. Who gives a Sh|t, few of us are indigenous to this country -- the mosaic makes it a great place to live. That said, it's free because our black, brown, yellow and white forefathers made the ultimate sacrifice to keep us free, you don't need to be from Cherry's tribe to honor that.

Agreed, you dont have to wear it on your sleeve(no pun intended), but I would be hard pressed to find anyone who doesnt respect, and appreciate and honor the sacrifice of the fallen, even if they dont wear poppies.

Reminds me though, when I was quite young, I applied to the CAF, but was turned down because of hearing problems :(

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom