Cheese Thread | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Cheese Thread

How about Oka from La Belle Provence? One of the many delicious cheese varieties from our neighbour to the east.

If anyone is considering a cheese run, it should include Quebec. There are many local fromageries with different laws and regulations allowing raw milk cheeses.

Here is a page from a distributors website to give you an idea of what Quebec has to offer.

http://fromagesduquebec.qc.ca/en/cheeses

How about Oka from La Belle Provence? One of the many delicious cheese varieties from our neighbour to the east.

If anyone is considering a cheese run, it should include Quebec. There are many local fromageries with different laws and regulations allowing raw milk cheeses.

Here is a page from a distributors website to give you an idea of what Quebec has to offer.

http://fromagesduquebec.qc.ca/en/cheeses

Its good but it’s outrageously priced. Hit up a Costco in Quebec for decent prices on Quebec cheese otherwise I’m happy to get the imports from Ontario Costcos. I can get a massive slab of Jarlsberg or a whole wheel of a French Camembert from Costco for the price of a few grams of Canadian cheese elsewhere. I used to go to the Canadian cheese festival in Picton but probably won’t go again. It was decent at first but then just became too pricey for everything. They had a lot of other gourmet foods there too. Some guy was selling Canadian caviar at the last one I went to and it wasn’t a patch on Russian stuff. Got upset when I mentioned that too.

Oka is good though and for the most part decently priced.

How about Oka from La Belle Provence?.......

was in WallyWorld today and happened to see OKA, bought some
not bad, kinda like camembert or brie, but firmer, and a slightly stronger taste
obviously aged longer as it has a rind, would be a good cheese to cook with

rolling down hwy 37 yesterday and stopped in at Maple Dale Cheese
not the greatest but definitely an upgrade from grocery store cheddar
good pricing on a 2 year old that is thoroughly decent
worth a stop if you're in the Belleville area

I was in at Global cheeses a few weeks ago and was offered a taste of water buffalo cheese. I've never licked the arse end of a water buffalo but now I can guess what it would taste like. To each his own.

Covid-19 must be disrupting the Costco supply chain

last 2 trips, no Grana Podano
and a funny looking brand of Reggie Parm that was too much $$ for me

ended up with just some NA fromage

Its good but it’s outrageously priced. Hit up a Costco in Quebec for decent prices on Quebec cheese otherwise I’m happy to get the imports from Ontario Costcos. I can get a massive slab of Jarlsberg or a whole wheel of a French Camembert from Costco for the price of a few grams of Canadian cheese elsewhere. I used to go to the Canadian cheese festival in Picton but probably won’t go again. It was decent at first but then just became too pricey for everything. They had a lot of other gourmet foods there too. Some guy was selling Canadian caviar at the last one I went to and it wasn’t a patch on Russian stuff. Got upset when I mentioned that too.

Oka is good though and for the most part decently priced.

I find it funny how the 2 pack of the OKA cheese at Costco has only french language packaging. (I tried to read the label once when enjoying a slice. )
Clearly made just for the Quebec market. I guess Costco is able to score a great deal on it and sell it across the country.

I wonder how they would feel if we sent them a product with English only packaging ;) .

Last edited:
yeah that Jarlsburg is nice
I like the Asiago that Costco carries too

lots of good European style cheese comes out of Wisconsin
the new NAFTA has a dairy clause in it so we may see some at decent pricing

fromage in Anglais?
don't think the average Habitant would care
if it were good cheese at a fair price

the Language Police are another thing

I once worked for Kraft Canada and ended up at their plant that made cheese for a day or so doing IT stuff. I believe it was in Ingleside near Cornwall.
The whole plant smelled like fermented milk. (which what cheese is). However the area where they made the ground up parmesan cheese that you buy off the shelf REALLY REALLY smelled bad. Mix of milk, socks, sweat, toe jam and ..... (can't think of any other ingredients for parmesan cheese).

I'm not a huge fan of it but can tolerate it in small amounts.

However, the OKA stuff or some type of old age cheese is good with me.

Don't care for blue cheese or any of the extreme fungus ones. :sick:

Reactions: J_F
As long as we're still talking about Oka, it's definitely worth the ride to the source, not so much for the deals on cheese, its the same price as here, but the roads in the area are great.

Is KD (Kraft Dinner) considered cheese?

OK good. I didn't think so.
I don't even think its a byproduct of cheese.

Can't say I hate it nor do I like it. Just never had it. Even when I could buy it for almost nothing while working for them.

I once worked for Kraft Canada and ended up at their plant that made cheese for a day or so doing IT stuff. I believe it was in Ingleside near Cornwall.
The whole plant smelled like fermented milk. (which what cheese is). However the area where they made the ground up parmesan cheese that you buy off the shelf REALLY REALLY smelled bad. Mix of milk, socks, sweat, toe jam and ..... (can't think of any other ingredients for parmesan cheese).

I'm not a huge fan of it but can tolerate it in small amounts.

However, the OKA stuff or some type of old age cheese is good with me.

Don't care for blue cheese or any of the extreme fungus ones. :sick:

Those cardboard tubes of so-called parmesan are cheese flavoured chalk. Buy a chunk when it's on sale, grind it yourself and freeze it until needed.

As long as we're still talking about Oka, it's definitely worth the ride to the source, not so much for the deals on cheese, its the same price as here, but the roads in the area are great.

thanks for this
would make a nice road trip
ferry rides with the bike are always fun

thanks for this
would make a nice road trip
ferry rides with the bike are always fun
Always happy to share good rides.

Don't get me wrong, it is a fun place to visit, there are deals on cheese, the St. Paulin? was less expensive than it is here. Oka in bulk (I bought a big wedge) was a little less expensive. The location has a ton of history:

They've been making cheese there a long time.

The ferry rides are always a bonus.

Reactions: J_F

Back
Top Bottom