we have dinner, beer, cocktail and scotch threads
any cheese heads here?

Parmesan......it's all about the bacteria

[video=youtube;ZgjWOo7IqQY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgjWOo7IqQY[/video]

we have dinner, beer, cocktail and scotch threads
any cheese heads here?

Parmesan......it's all about the bacteria

[video=youtube;ZgjWOo7IqQY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgjWOo7IqQY[/video]
Love cheese. By no means am I an expert but I love old sharp cheddar, stinky Parmesan, blue cheese... I can go on.

Sent from my ZTE B2017G using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

Roquefort. French blue sheeps cheese matured in caves with penicillin mould that naturally occurs in the caves. Deliciously salty.

anyone been in Italy - Sardinia, and try this wacky stuff?
Casu Marzu....I don't mind exotic chow, but it can't be wriggling around

[video=youtube;Y8F-0Ogp4fU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8F-0Ogp4fU[/video]

When I was a kid my dad use to go to a German deli at Brimley and Eglinton called "Hermans Meats" and buy a big chunk of Limburger cheese.On the hottest summer days he would leave that cheese on the dashboard of his car with all the windows rolled up and after a few hours send me out to get it.Fifty years later just the thought of that smell makes me want to puke my guts out.Kids don't know how good they have it these days.

When I was a kid my dad use to go to a German deli at Brimley and Eglinton called "Hermans Meats" and buy a big chunk of Limburger cheese.On the hottest summer days he would leave that cheese on the dashboard of his car with all the windows rolled up and after a few hours send me out to get it.Fifty years later just the thought of that smell makes me want to puke my guts out.Kids don't know how good they have it these days.

Apparently the bacteria that gives Limburger its smell is the same as the one that gives stinky feet their smell. I'm into Asiago, sharp cheddar and real parmigiana, not the fake crap in the cardboard tubes.

anyone been in Italy - Sardinia, and try this wacky stuff?
Casu Marzu....I don't mind exotic chow, but it can't be wriggling around

[video=youtube;Y8F-0Ogp4fU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8F-0Ogp4fU[/video]

My dad would often go fishing along the canals in and around North East Wales. Traditionally, you would fish with long bamboo rods, light line (1 or 2lb test) and tiny hooks. Maggots were used for bait and on really cold days, my dad and uncle would warm the maggots in their mouth before putting them on the hook. I always thought that was pretty nasty...

Casu Marzu...that’s off the charts !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mmmm cheese!
I went on a Limburger kick a couple years ago, but it pi$$ed my family off so I stopped!

Love me some blue cheese, very old cheddar, Parmigiana Reggiano, etc. Good cheese is expensive these days.
I bought my son a pound of fine Asiago cheese as part of his birthday present last month; he was so happy!
He's got good ta$te!

good pricing at Costco for some decent quality cheese
but I wonder, there is known to be counterfeiting in the cheese industry

tried some Grana Podano from there just recently
as an alternative to the expensive Parmigiana Reggiano (which I'm very fond of)
it was thoroughly okay, a little more granular, bit of a different taste
really good value for less than half the price

gonna have to try this Limburger you guys like

Watching the parmesan video reminded me of the voodoo marketing BS that swirls around audio. Heating up to 55 C destroys all the bad bacteria and leaves the three that you want? Yeah. Check. It's tasty, but the harder marketers try to trick people, the less I want to buy it.

Acquired taste cheeses (blue, limburger etc) are not for me. I am happy with decent costco cheeses as my top end (reggiano, grand padano, baldersons 4(?) year cheddar, welsh cheddar).

If cheese is your thing, IIRC there is an amazing store near Summerhill with a cellar. Walking into the store either makes you salivate or want to vomit depending on your proclivities. Buying cheese there is like buying ice cream at Menchies, you buy a small amount to sample and wonder how that emptied your wallet. My google-fu cannot find it though, so I may very well be mistaken. It looks like Cheese Boutique in Swansea is about as good as it gets in Toronto.

Watching the parmesan video reminded me of the voodoo marketing BS that swirls around audio. Heating up to 55 C destroys all the bad bacteria and leaves the three that you want? Yeah. Check. It's tasty, but the harder marketers try to trick people, the less I want to buy it.

Acquired taste cheeses (blue, limburger etc) are not for me. I am happy with decent costco cheeses as my top end (reggiano, grand padano, baldersons 4(?) year cheddar, welsh cheddar).

If cheese is your thing, IIRC there is an amazing store near Summerhill with a cellar. Walking into the store either makes you salivate or want to vomit depending on your proclivities. Buying cheese there is like buying ice cream at Menchies, you buy a small amount to sample and wonder how that emptied your wallet. My google-fu cannot find it though, so I may very well be mistaken. It looks like Cheese Boutique in Swansea is about as good as it gets in Toronto.

Kensington market had a couple of good cheese stores years ago when I was there. Are they still around?

Interesting fact about the Costco cheeses: I used to buy my grated Grande Cheese parmesan from Costco cheaper than I could buy it direct from Grande Cheese.
I haven't seen much of it lately at my local warehouse though, I'm stuck with Silani.

Sent from my purple G4 using Tapatalk

given the 270% tariff on imported cheese ( thank you dairy marketing board , and F you) , at least the Ontario boutique producers are trying. Sure we dont have a cave with mold, sea air, or a secret 400yr old room in a monestarie cellar, but they are trying.

In my fridge right now are a gouda, three cheddars of various age, two bricks of crap marble cheese, $64 block of parm, some asiago, and a big hunk of Fontina (low melting point) , and some italian blue cheese with a name I cant remember, I bought it as a dinner guest told me she made a killer blue cheese sauce for steak. Shes a gorgeous gal but is now banned from my larder, just destroyed 4 dry aged ribeyes worth a mortgage payment.

Cheese run ? I'll bite.

given the 270% tariff on imported cheese ( thank you dairy marketing board , and F you) , at least the Ontario boutique producers are trying. Sure we dont have a cave with mold, sea air, or a secret 400yr old room in a monestarie cellar, but they are trying.

I thought the dairy war was renegotiated through the new NAFTA and tariff dropped / lowered. Part of the trade off was us accepting US standards for bacteria.

I need to look up a summary of the deal.

I thought the dairy war was renegotiated through the new NAFTA and tariff dropped / lowered. Part of the trade off was us accepting US standards for bacteria.

I need to look up a summary of the deal.

Think globally , there is no Wisconsin parmesan or Idaho gouda.

yeah, can't see the new NAFTA helping us much fromage wise
I've worked/lived just across the border from US Cheeseland

little Ontario town I was in had really poor infrastructure
so locals would cross the border several times/week to get supplies

the cheese selections were awful, old cheddar was exotic
other than driving prices down
this new trade deal is not going to do much for variety

Try onion cheese, it's pretty good!

Otherwise old cheddar and Parmesan are great. Or those little cheese triangles with the cow on it are nice snacks. Not much of a cheese person.

Back
Top Bottom