Cheap LED projectors?Anyone got one? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Cheap LED projectors?Anyone got one?

jc100

Something like this.. WiMiUS Full HD 1080P Movie P28 Projector 4K Support 4D±50°Keystone Correction with Zoom Function LED Outdoor Video Projector Compatible with TV Stick Stick, HDMI, USB, Laptop, Smartphone: Amazon.ca: Electronics

Thats just an example. I want to set up an outdoor movie night thing on the cheap. I was going to mount a cheap 32 or 43” TV outside but that started to look a bit more involved and I didn’t fancy drilling holes in the siding to mount it and a mobile dolly looked a bit goofy. Also, it probably wouldn’t last too long...

So then I saw that there’s a bunch of these LED projectors that range from $100 up to well over $500. Something for a few hundred might be worth a try. I’m looking for something I can link some Bluetooth speakers to maybe and something that’s pretty bright. I also have outdoor speakers set up and also don’t mind running a long HDMI cable from a second HDMI out on the receiver.

Anyone got one of these or has any idea which ones are good and which ones to stay away from?

Something like this.. WiMiUS Full HD 1080P Movie P28 Projector 4K Support 4D±50°Keystone Correction with Zoom Function LED Outdoor Video Projector Compatible with TV Stick Stick, HDMI, USB, Laptop, Smartphone: Amazon.ca: Electronics

Thats just an example. I want to set up an outdoor movie night thing on the cheap. I was going to mount a cheap 32 or 43” TV outside but that started to look a bit more involved and I didn’t fancy drilling holes in the siding to mount it and a mobile dolly looked a bit goofy. Also, it probably wouldn’t last too long...

So then I saw that there’s a bunch of these LED projectors that range from $100 up to well over $500. Something for a few hundred might be worth a try. I’m looking for something I can link some Bluetooth speakers to maybe and something that’s pretty bright. I also have outdoor speakers set up and also don’t mind running a long HDMI cable from a second HDMI out on the receiver.

Anyone got one of these or has any idea which ones are good and which ones to stay away from?
As a starting point, look for one that actually gives an ANSI lumens rating. For some (likely dodgy) reason, they avoid stating the brightness in lumens for that one and just imply it is good. They say it is 7300 L which is 10% brighter than 6800 L but then later say a BenQ 2200 Lumen projector is much much brighter. So what is L? lumens*10? Completely made up number?

You want more than 2000 lumens (and more is better) or you will be underwhelmed

Be careful with amazon for these type of things in general. Link below is a "6500 lumen" projector with a 100" screen for $120 with lots of apparently great reviews. So many red flags. I strongly suspect it is 6000 lux which is an entirely different unit of measurement (they likely measured right in front of the lens). A proper 6000 lumen projector is almost two orders of magnitude more money.

More comprehensive information on brightness here.

Last edited:
As a starting point, look for one that actually gives an ANSI lumens rating. For some (likely dodgy) reason, they avoid stating the brightness in lumens for that one and just imply it is good. They say it is 7300 L which is 10% brighter than 6800 L but then later say a BenQ 2200 Lumen projector is much much brighter. So what is L? lumens*10? Completely made up number?

You want more than 2000 lumens (and more is better) or you will be underwhelmed

Be careful with amazon for these type of things in general. Link below is a "6500 lumen" projector with a 100" screen for $120 with lots of apparently great reviews. So many red flags. I strongly suspect it is 6000 lux which is an entirely different unit of measurement (they likely measured right in front of the lens). A proper 6000 lumen projector is almost two orders of magnitude more money.

More comprehensive information on brightness here.

It doesn’t help that there’s a ton of fraudulent Amazon reviews either. I saw some Epson ones on Costco but they are about twice the price.

I looked into doing this as well and the Vankyo ones on Amazon had good reviews from the Audio/video group I frequent.

It doesn’t help that there’s a ton of fraudulent Amazon reviews either. I saw some Epson ones on Costco but they are about twice the price.
Based on the positivity of the reviews and dodgy technical specs of the one I linked, I suspect the reviews are overwhelmingly well done fake reviews.

I havent seen any of these cheap projectors in real life but have seen some truly hideous pictures out of bad projectors. Depending on your view either unwatchable or just unpleasant.

Considering a bulb for a good projector costs more than the amazon projectors, I hold little faith that you will be happy with the result.

What are you projecting on? Screen can make a big difference too. Although a good screen also costs more than the amazon projectors.

Based on the positivity of the reviews and dodgy technical specs of the one I linked, I suspect the reviews are overwhelmingly well done fake reviews.

I havent seen any of these cheap projectors in real life but have seen some truly hideous pictures out of bad projectors. Depending on your view either unwatchable or just unpleasant.

Considering a bulb for a good projector costs more than the amazon projectors, I hold little faith that you will be happy with the result.

What are you projecting on? Screen can make a big difference too. Although a good screen also costs more than the amazon projectors.

I'll get a cheap pull down screen and attach it to the soffits. I think I’ll give this a go and try to keep the cost down below $500. Pull down screens come in at about $100.

I'm not too worried about the bulbs as LED technology has come a long way and you can get a lot of power out of them now. I just want a mid range projector that won’t crap out in a season. I’m not expecting a 4K picture but I’m also not going to be projecting more than a 4-5ft picture most likely.

If it’s anything like going to the drive-in, you are going to want to start the movie night before it gets dark and you won’t get a great viewing experience.

I carry a tv outside with a 4K Fire Stick and watch IPTV, Netflix, Prime Video or shows on my network PVR afternoon and evenings throughout the summer. No need to wait until it gets dark enough.
Can keep the volume at a reasonable level too so there’s no pissing off the neighbours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a 20 year old Epson PowerLite S1 that's still going.
Haven't used it in a while, connectors are pretty obsolete at this point.
Hoping I didn't pay $2,000 for it, back then, as the article suggests.
Then again, we did get our use out of it.

I have a cheapie led projector for outside, works great. Mine is in my cabana, projects on a 9’ wide screen. It’s not tv perfect, kinda reminds me of a 70s drive in movie quality.

I connect with a chrome cast. I installed it for the last streamed Tragically Hip concert, still use it for pool parties.

I have a cheapie led projector for outside, works great. Mine is in my cabana, projects on a 9’ wide screen. It’s not tv perfect, kinda reminds me of a 70s drive in movie quality.

I connect with a chrome cast. I installed it for the last streamed Tragically Hip concert, still use it for pool parties.

What brand is it? Does it need to be pitch black for proper viewing?

What brand is it? Does it need to be pitch black for proper viewing?
Off the back of a white van brand. I used to hang a 55" plasma in the bar, that was quite viewable during the day, the projector is not as good.

Once the tree canopy fills in my backyard has some dark spots and it's quite acceptable during the day. I put the projector in when I open the pool, that will be in a couple of weeks -- I can post pics then.

1620054615472.png

I've got a low end LED one that I use for presentations with a motorcycle group I ride with. It's OK, but you get what you pay for, and I didn't pay much.

I also have an older projector that uses a 100W tracklite halogen bulb. I bought it at a liquidation place about 15 years ago on a lark thinking it would be a total piece of junk especially considering I think it was $35 at the time. The picture quality is VHS-ish and certainly not super bright (but brighter than the photo makes it look) but...it works. Still works all these years later. Brought it camping a few times for my son's birthday parties and set it up just using a sheet hanging on a rope.

Also used it in the kids bedrooms just projecting on the wall when they had sleepovers and such.

1620077044003.png

1620077102171.png

Neither this old cheap POS nor the newer cheap POS I have would work at all on our pool deck I wouldn't think given typical city light pollution.

Honestly, if it were me and I had a sheltered place to put it.....35-60" LCTV's can be had for cheap now and will perform way better than any projector in challenging lighting conditions.

It's been my experience if you really want to do the 250" outdoor bigscreen thing...you're going to be into a seriously big dollar projector.

Back
Top Bottom